Th-th-th-that's all, folks!!
Rinos rolled over and let this abomination come to the floor.
Maybe the Senate, since these are not revenue bills (purview of the House) could start on some real legislation like the following:
Tax Reform or Spending Reform or Government Downsizing. All separate issues and ALL must be accomplished separately.
1. Repeal the 16th and 17th Amendments.
2. Term Limits on all elected offices, Senators/2-2 yr terms, Representatives/2-2 yr terms. Senators appointed by State Legislatures (giving the States back their representation at the Federal level) and Representative by general election of the citizens.
3. Create a States Rights Commission made up of 70% representatives appointed from the local government (closest to the people) and 30% appointed from the federal level. Serve specified terms with a limit of one term per person. Purpose: Review all Congressional laws and Executive Orders/Policies to see that they conform with the 10th Amendment.
4. Create a Sunset Commission to backstop Congress and review ALL laws and force repeal of (or even rescind) outmoded, outdated and duplicative statutes. Additionally, included all Agencies/Departments/GSEs in under this Commission with power to shut them down, merge them (or their programs) into another. (With local representation just as the States Rights Commission)
5. Steps needed at the Cabinet level, giving them a specific purpose and a clear mission:
a) Abolish the FED. Totally and completely.
b) Abolish the Department of Education. Belongs with the States, and the Dept of Ed truthfully educates no one.
c) Smaller Dept of the Interior - by release all federal lands back to the States with the exception of National Parks. Limit number and size of future National Parks that can be created (only 27 states have nation parks, maybe some states have too many).
d) Dept of Health should have Medicare, Medicaid (if we actually can keep them and sustain them) and the Surgeon General, public health & medical research (CDC and such) at the federal level.
e) Put ALL welfare programs under Dept of Welfare to downgrade duplication and multiple funds being disbursed to numerous agencies. This would include Social Security if we can keep it viable. All welfare programs should have a definite end date without exception, for recipients (except seriously ill/handicapped citizens) and the program.
f) Close Import/Export Bank, Overseas Private Investment Corp to name a few independent agencies (including funding).
g) Shut down US participation in the UN, World Court, WTO and other international treaty organizations (including cutting off funding). If not shut down their rulings should be purely advisory and no weight or precedence under the laws of the individual members, plus no enforcement ability.[The UN should be given 5 years to vacate New York, maybe they could take over Haiti and run it]
h) Commerce and Labor merged into one agency to include duties of SEC, NLRB, Securities & Exchange Commission, Commodities Futures Trading Commission, FDIC, etc now that exist. [Consumer protection on financial matters gits here] Quasi govt agencies (i.e., FASB and the like) should be spun off as private totally and completely without govt inputs.
We should end up with (roughly): Departments of State, Defense, Homeland Security, Commerce/Labor, Natural Resources, Justice, VA, Treasury and Interior. (9 down from 16 or so we have now)
No additional commissions or agencies are needed. Already too much duplication of effort and excessive spending.
[I know, just my dreaming that the senate would do something constructive]
Who works for who?
Government for the people or people for the government?