Skip to comments.U.S. Command Launches Probe Into Afghan Civilian Deaths
Posted on 05/20/2010 5:37:17 PM PDT by SandRat
KABUL, Afghanistan, May 20, 2010 U.S. Forces Afghanistan officials have launched a criminal investigation into allegations that a small number of U.S. soldiers were responsible for the unlawful deaths of as many as three Afghan civilians.
The investigations also include allegations of illegal drug use, assault and conspiracy, officials said.
No charges have been preferred yet, officials said, but one soldier has been placed in pre-trial confinement.
The Army's Criminal Investigation Command initiated its investigation after receiving credible information from the soldiers' unit earlier this month, according to a written statement command officials released today.
Command officials are committed to the security and safety of the Afghan population, and will ensure any crimes are investigated fully and those responsible will be held accountable, the statement said.
Anyone have any real info on this supposed incident? It’s obvious that the troops in Afghanistan are under criminal “don’t fire unless wounded” ROEs.
Let’s support our troops. Innocent until PROVEN guilty....and that haven’t been good at that at all. Nonetheless they try to convict them.
Thanks for the ping, x. I haven’t heard anything yet. Freepmail.
Sounds like they don't have anything solid, so they're trying to break him/ get his finger pointing at members of his squad.
Assuming he's still in Afghanistan, he's not likely to be a flight risk.
When is someone going to launch an investigation of the many civilian deaths caused by the insurgents?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.