Skip to comments.Rep. Joseph Cao asks oil execs to commit "hari-kari"
Posted on 06/15/2010 2:02:35 PM PDT by kcvl
Members of Congress chastised the largest oil companies Tuesday, accusing them of being no better prepared than BP to avert an environmental catastrophe.
As the oil executives testified at a House hearing, Rep. Joseph Cao said: "In the Asian culture, we do things differently," Cao said. "During the samurai days, we'd just give you a knife, and ask you to commit hari-kari."
As the oil executives testified at a House hearing, Rep. Henry Waxman asserted that the companies' spill response plans amounted to "paper exercises" that mirrored BP's failed plan. Their strategies to plug a spill deep beneath the sea are the same failed strategies that have stymied BP, the California Democrat said.
The other companies "are no better prepared to deal with a major oil spill than was BP," said Waxman, setting the tone for a tense hearing.
But the executives sought to distance themselves from BP, telling lawmakers they would not have drilled the Deepwater Horizon well in the same way as the British company. They suggested some of BP's design decisions and actions may have jeopardized well integrity.
One lawmaker after another expressed frustration at BP's inability to stop oil gushing from its stricken well as the chief executives representing ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Shell - as well as BPAmerica - sat shoulder to shoulder at the witness table.
Lead by example Joe.
How many samurais were their in Vietnam?
Oh please PLEASE stop this INSANITY!
FReeper Quiz on Current Events.
Which is LEAST likely (pick one):
1. Pres_ _ent Obama was the biggest recipient of BP cash
2. British Petroleum (BP) pumped $71,000 into Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign
3. Pres_ _ent Obama's White House chief is tied to a BP adviser
4. Pres_ _ent Obama's White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is connected to BP
5. Pres_ _ent Obama shrewdly made money in the dispersements.
6. The dispersants contain PCB made by NALCO is based in Chicago with subsidiaries in Brazil, Russia, India, China and Indonesia.
7. BP's Fallen Deepwater Horizon was tapping second largest oil deposit in the world
8. Pres_ _ent Obama exempted BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from environmental impact study
9. Pres_ _ent Obama did this despite BP's long record of legal, ethical violations
10. Pres_ _ent Obama's Federal Regulator Repeatedly Failed to Inspect Deepwater Horizon
11. Pres_ _ent Obama exempted BP's Gulf drilling from environmental impact study
12. Pres_ _ent Obama sheltered BP's Deepwater Horizon rig from regulatory requirement
13. Pres_ _ent Obama continued this despite that "Red Flags Were Ignored Aboard Doomed Rig
14. Pres_ _ent Obama allowed drilling 'without required permits' (also Drilling Without Needed Permits)
15. Pres_ _ent Obama will willingly release his birth certificate, like every other American citizen.
Last time I checked, we aren’t in Asia, Mr.Cao.
For cripes sakes the whole lot of them on the Hill, save a couple— are stark ravin’ mad!
Hey Joe, What about being a turn-coat RINO. Here’s your knife.
If they lead by example they are trying to get BP and other oil execs to live by we wouldn’t be in DEBT!
At least, oil execs produce something we can use and investors get something in return! Too bad whore politicans can’t say the same thing.
If we waited on government to save us we would all die waiting!
Now THAT was funny I don't care who you are ...
6 months and youre gone, Cao. All the asskissing in the world to the Left is not going to help you, unfortunately.
Dem congressman Tom Lantos said at least Admiral Borda had the decency to commit suicide, what’s with these democrats? Can’t they wait for the ObamaCare death panels to kick in?
They have absolutely been there too long! I'm convinced that it is a disease that you catch once you reach the airspace over DC!
My first thought as well. Though he may be right, if we were living in feudal Japan the guy would have been expected to cut his guts out for all sorts of stuff. But we're not, and BP should thumb their nose at this goofball. 'Course, if the BP guy did this I would recommend Rep. Cao's front porch as the site of his last breath.
Is Joe our Alvin Greene?
First of all, it was the Japanese samurai culture. Second, it was hardly a knife that was used. It was a tashi. More of a short katana than a knife.
Women used a large dagger but that wasn't seppuku. That was jigai.
From wanna be priest to politican. That pretty much tells you all you need to know. Cao is a back stabbing ‘republican’. He voted for healthcare reform, etc. with Democrats.
Cao first arrived in New Orleans in 1992. He left to earn a Master’s degree in philosophy from New York’s Fordham University, returning to Loyola University to teach philosophy and ethics. As he prepared for priesthood, his faith was strong.
However, his confidence in government’s ability to care for those in need weakened by the day. Before long, Cao ended his quest for priesthood in a personal crusade for social justice.
Today, Congressman Anh “Joseph” Cao (LA-02) and his wife Kate and their two daughters, Sophia and Betsy, joined First Lady Michelle Obama to assemble packages of healthy foodstuffs and items encouraging physical fitness, including frisbees and miniature footballs, for underprivileged children in the Washington, D.C. area.
I doubt Cao knows much about the subject since he was born in 1967 and escaped to America with two of his siblings at the age of eight.