Skip to comments.Books with gay themes for young readers take off
Posted on 06/28/2010 7:40:39 PM PDT by narses
At his Kentucky elementary school, kids taunted Brent on the playground about being gay, whatever that was.
By eighth grade, he realized what they meant and came out to a friend and vice versa.
She was an avid writer, he a voracious reader. They headed to their school library in search of stories that spoke to their lives: gay, gay in the South, gay and fearing stereotypes like disgusting and worthless.
There were tons of books about gangs and drugs and teen pregnancy and there were no LGBT books, says Brent, now 15 and heading into his sophomore year of senior high. I asked the librarian about it and she was like, This is middle school. I can only have appropriate books here.
So they went to their public library, where they discovered plenty of romantic gay steam for adults.
Turning next to bookstores, they finally found what theyd been looking for a recent explosion in the publishing world of books that speak to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning teens.
First came a gem, a book for young people that made them cry: Martin Wilsons 2008 debut, What They Always Tell Us, set in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
The story about a troubled year for two brothers, one of whom finds solace in a relationship with a boy, made him feel less like an alien on your own planet, Brent says.
A world of books followed. Brent read his way through Tom Dolby, Robin Reardon, Julie Ann Peters and David Levithan.
He soon realized there were lots of coming out stories but he also craved romance, fantasy and paranormal books with characters that just happened to be gay, like Damien in the House of Night vampire series he loves, by the mother-daughter team P.C. and Kristin Cast.
I see the characters trickling into the mainstream genres. I really like that, says Brent, who asked that his last name and hometown not be used.
It makes being gay feel natural, which it is, of course. Books give you hope.
Books that speak to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning teens have traveled light years since John Donovans Ill Get There. It Better be Worth the Trip led the way in 1969.
Long since out of print, the story of the confused world of 13-year-old Davy and the jock he kisses will be reissued in September by Flux, an imprint of Llewellyn Worldwide.
This book made Harper & Row (now HarperCollins) very nervous, says Brian Farrey, editor of the new edition. They werent sure how people were going to take to it.
It was the one that said it can be done for teens, and there wont be people with pitchforks and torches waiting for you at the door. It opened the closet to teens and said you are not alone.
Long before gay characters began popping up in the mainstream on TV and at the movies, librarians embraced Ill Get There, says Kathleen T. Horning, director of the Cooperative Childrens Book Center of the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Another important forerunner was Nancy Gardens 1982 Annie on My Mind and its unabashedly happy ending for two 17-year-old girls who fall in love.
Previous to that, there would be some awful car accident or one of the gay characters would die, Horning says, acknowledging that thread in Ill Get There.
There was a sense that the gay character had to be punished somehow. They were kind of depressing.
Still, until now few LGBT titles became blockbusters. That changed with two boys named Will Grayson and a very large, very Glee-ful linebacker named Tiny.
Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by Levithan and John Green, debuted on the New York Times childrens best-seller list and stayed there for three weeks after its April release. That was a first for a young adult novel with major gay themes.
It has delighted hungry teen readers fanboys and fangirls who were the likely reason the book became a trending topic on Twitter. Penguin has 60,000 copies in print.
In alternating chapters, Green and Levithan write of two 16-year-old boys with little in common, living in separate Chicago suburbs.
Ones depressed and struggling to come out and the other is straight with a flamboyantly gay friend in Tiny Cooper, a football star on the hunt for love and stardom in musical theater.
I am Tiny, sassy 20-year-old Andrew Casasanta, an English major at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.
Its still very frustrating, he says. I dont think that theres many characters out there that I can personally relate to, and theyre generally more stereotypes. Its important that this book, while having gay themes front and center, was written well.
It helps that Levithan is a prolific rock star in gay lit for young people, with an acclaimed winner 2003s Boy Meets Boy.
It also helps that Green is revered as a writer for teens, including his Paper Towns in 2008, and by fans of the adrenaline-infused videos he regularly posts online.
Landing as high on the New York Times list as we did with Will Grayson, Will Grayson made a big statement to the childrens publishing world that gay characters are not a commercial liability, Green says. This is an important statement to make.
As gay-straight alliances spread in schools and kids reared by gay parents have kids of their own, books remain important survival tools for all young people trying to figure out who they are, says Lynn Evarts, a high school librarian in the farm country of Sauk Prairie, Wis.
Kids have for the most part become Will and Grace-ified, she says. Oftentimes Ill hand them a book that has a gay main character and tell them how funny it is, and they take it and like it.
These are kids who wouldnt normally touch anything like that. I live in the land of rednecks, but they like it because its funny and good.
But what about readers like Brent who dont have inclusive libraries, deep pockets or technology to download ebooks?
Recent research in Texas, for instance, indicated a strong I dont serve those teens attitude among librarians.
Its the argument that drives me crazy, says Teri Lesesne, who teaches young adult lit in the Department of Library Science at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas.
Its like, Yeah, you do, she says. They might not be coming in and saying, Hi, Im gay or Im bi or Im transgender or Im questioning my own identity, because theyre afraid.
But theyre there and...
Freep-mail me to get on or off my pro-life and Catholic List:
Please ping me to note-worthy Pro-Life or Catholic threads, or other threads of general interest.
And of course, no apologies will be forthcoming when some of these naive readers wind up HIV positive or with syphilis
This is liberal brainwashing and liberal koolaid at its worst. Teach your children the Bible before you take them to the library.
My Goodness, there are no gay middleschoolers (or elementary children)..! This is sick..
Gee,I really hope they're not pop-up books,at least.....
“Why Johnny can’t Cornhole”
“Jack and the Cornhole”
“Little Miss Cornhole”
“The Red Cornhole Of Courage”
Are you making light of this situation?
I'll bet you EVERY CENT I have that there were no books on the founders, the constitution or heaven forbid a bible. This is exactly why the Dept of Ed must be defunded and people must be given school choice. I wish I was able to homeschool my kids when they were growing up, government schools are just indoctrination camps.
So many questions come to my mind. Too many to ask, but a few:
1. Since we don’t know what causes homosexuality or other sexual identity issues, do we know for sure that all these gay/transgender/whatever teens stay that way as adults? Or could they be going through a phase? There’s anecdotal evidence, esp. with teen girls, that they go through phases. Teens go through phases with other behaviors and interests.
2. Should we be encouraging sexual behavior of the homosexual kind among underage teens, who are under the age of sexual consent?
3. Should schools get involved at all with sexual themed literature, whether heterosexual or homosexual? We’re talking school libraries having these materials, right?
4. How explicit are we talking? Do these characters say they are gay in passing, or do the novels have explicit descriptions of activities and body parts and all that?
5. Do parents have any say in any of this?
what about the bible taking off soon
I’ve always thought that too. How can you have a “gay” child in elementary school, if he/she hasn’t gone through puberty yet? If they haven’t gone through puberty yet, there is no “sexual orientation” or “sexual behavior” in the first place with such a child.
Does this sort of thing have any place in schools? When these kids reach adulthood, if they feel such a strong pull towards homosexuality, isn’t that the time for them to express themselves, if they feel that strongly about this?
GOD is watching... HE is NOT happy.
The acceptance and humor about homosexuals must be a whistling past the grave yard thing.
God help them.
when dealing with the very young people, with all their insecuries and wanting to fit in, what better time to propagandize them with the homo’s trash. This is harming God’s precious children and there is a price to pay.
This is liberal brainwashing and liberal koolaid at its worst. Teach your children the Bible before you take them to the library.
Agreed. This is culture of death indoctrination.
Post WWII western liberalism is about to implode. No culture can thrive or even survive such corrupt policies.
when dealing with the very young people, with all their insecuries and wanting to fit in, what better time to propagandize them with the homos trash. This is harming Gods precious children and there is a price to pay.
Millstones and necks come to mind.
I don’t know. I knew a couple of little boys that were SOOOO Effeminate that it seemed obvious that they were going to be gay and years later, they were.
perhaps when they were young they should have gotten a little shot of testosterone.
The perverts trying to pollute kids so they can prey on them. Sick sick sick.
The Girl Scouts were handing out booklets about how to be a slut to girls, Planned Parenthood says kids should know about the joys of sex by 10 and then we have Kevin “get’em in kindergarten” Jennings as Schools Czar
Don’t forget the “Fisting for Fifth Graders” curriculum in Massachusetts’ government schools.
Very sad and discouraging.
is it just this old boy or did just ‘taunted’ stick out to any other old timers out in FR land? back in the day a queer/faggot/homo would gladly settle for ‘taunted’ only as a punishment out behind the baseball screen/backstop..... compared to what often occurred then when they were discovered. (they NEVER ‘outted’ themselves then, they were found out), good God what has happened to our country? well, the sick perverted disease of liberlism is what happened and I’m not sure we can turn it around.
I would bet $100 that “Brent” has already some time ago had his first sexual experience - and that with a much older-man / child rapist.
Kid I grew up with always volunteered to play the female role in any gradeschool production.
Little doubt where he was headed.
Went to his funeral a few years ago.....open casket. 37 years old and looked like he was 97.....and looked like he had already been dead for 3 years.
According to his mother, he pretty much was.
-Dont forget the Fisting for Fifth Graders curriculum in Massachusetts government schools.-
...brought to you by Hussein’s very own safe school czar!
That’s what this is all about, they have to brainwash, recruit and molest pliable children whose liberal parents have no moral compass, like that 10 yr old in Arkansas.
Ping to #31
Actually a lot is known about what causes homosexuality. Most homosexuals were molested and/or seduced when quite young - either as children or young adolescents - by much older homosexuals. Most homosexuals had a poor relationship with the father - either totally absent or distant. Many had an overbearing mother, or were not close to her (for women). But the molestation/seduction is really the clincher.
How sad; it seems like these two kids were made for each other. Once upon a time, Hollywood made a movie about a gay and lesbian who fell in love, withstood the jeers of their peers, and lived happily ever after. That would be so uplifting today. Sigh.
Freepmail wagglebee to subscribe or unsubscribe from the homosexual agenda ping list.
Be sure to click the FreeRepublic homosexual agenda keyword search link for a list of all related articles. We don't ping you to all related articles so be sure to click the previous link to see the latest articles.
Add keywords homosexual agenda to flag FR articles to this ping list.
A very interesting article, shows the "gay" agenda propaganda talking points all lined up. One very telling point is that these kids are described as "confused", "trying to find out who they are" etc. This shows that such kids struggling with same sex attraction or confusion need help - they need to be told that no one is born "gay" and that people can change. So these confused kids are told "YOU ARE GAY AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE!"
Nothing but recruitment and propaganda. Telling them the lie that it's "natural" and they'll be happy with the "gay" life. It's child abuse - condemning them to the prison of homosexuality.
Excellent post Little Jeremiah, and absolutely noteworthy. This (collectively, the reasons listed) IS the reason for this epidemic. Thanks for posting.
If you have to find a book that tells you what you’re doing is natural, it most likely isn’t.
It depends on the situation. We do know that gays, lesbians, and porn stars can be produced by childhood sexual abuse, but it is less clear that this is the only method of transmission. The subjects of this story seem to have become homosexual by taking prepubescent teasing far too seriously. However, victims often suppress trauma and do not think to consider it as a reason for acting out, nor do gay-friendly reporters wish to discuss such subjects.
Therefore, whether a homosexual teen will grow out of it probably depends on the level of trauma: actual abuse may be insurmountable, but peer pressure may well fade with time.
Thank you - I learned a lot on FR, and once a person knows the truth of homosexuality, there is no mystery at all.
The good news - that homosexuals who want to change, often can - is in a lockbox, the media won’t touch it, and so these poor kids are practically doomed. A few years ago a large number of former homosexuals (maybe a few thousand??) wanted to put a full page ad in the NYT with info on organizations that help counsel people who want out of the “gay” life. They had the money - which for a full page ad in the NYT is a pretty penny.
Of course the rag refused to take their ad.
The lie that “you are born gay and can never change” is the worst lie of all.
Great, when they grow up they can idolize the great gay economist, John M. Keynes.
(Note goals: 24-28, 40-42)
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
This is probably just the tip of the iceberg. Let’s not forget that zero put what amounts to a NAMBLA guy in charge of the dept. of edumacashun.
“How can you have a gay child in elementary school”
When a child of that age announces that he is a sodomite, the question is not “what causes homosexuality” but rather “who has been molesting this child?”
“Most homosexuals had a poor relationship with the father”
But is that a cause, or is it just that predators seek out boys who have poor relationships with their fathers?
So are cancer, diabetes and spina bifida, but we don't "celebrate" those.
Yep. One of the most stern warnings in The Bible.
Forget the “Pubic” library and the “Pubic” schools.
Educate your own children. Homeschool them, or send them to a good synagogue school or church school.
The tax-funded, union-run government schools are better understood as the Bus Ministry of the State Church of Collectivist Humanism.
The “school district” is better characterized by its Marxian moniker, the “school collective”.
Get reading books for your children from
... and other such places.
Do your own research.
Buy your own books.
Establish your own library.
Educate your own children.
Also, for your children’s research.
Use an old computer, or buy a “Plug Computer”.
Install Linux on it (CentOS 5.5 is good) and create a subnet for your children to use.
Use squid to set it up as a proxy server and mail server.
Use Dansguardian to create a whitelist of approved web sites.
Make sure the mail server delivers a copy of every email coming in and going out.
Think that’s over controlling?
If you work anywhere that uses the internet, be assured that your company is monitoring emails and web sites visited.
They pay for the equipment and the connection. They have every right to determine how it will be used and to monitor it accordingly.
DO NOT ALLOW THE INTERNET TO COME DIRECTLY INTO YOUR HOME TO YOUR CHILDREN WITHOUT STRINGENT SAFEGUARDS!
Not until they cancel their contract with "The State." (ie: rescind marriage license and child's birth certificate) Only then they would have power and take title of their children.
There is going to be a brutal and massive persecution when this generation of perverts grows up.
-The lie that you are born gay and can never change is the worst lie of all.-
Overwhelming evidence of sexual orientation change
Most same-sex attracted adolescents will not become homosexual adults
BRAIN PLASTICITY BACKS UP ORIENTATION CHANGE