Skip to comments.Ancient Buried Ship Found at Ground Zero Site
Posted on 07/15/2010 10:07:56 PM PDT by AngieGal
The ship was buried as junk two centuries ago - landfill to expand a bustling little island of commerce called Manhattan. When it re-emerged this week, surrounded by skyscrapers, it was an instant treasure that popped up from the mud near ground zero.
A 32-foot piece of the vessel was found in soil 20 feet under street level, amid noisy bulldozers excavating a parking garage for the future World Trade Center. Near the site of so many grim finds - Sept. 11 victims' remains, twisted steel - this discovery was as unexpected as it was thrilling.
Historians say the ship, believed to date to the 1700s, was defunct by the time it was used around 1810 to extend the shores of lower Manhattan.
(Excerpt) Read more at aolnews.com ...
Headline fail. 200+ years old does not qualify as “ancient”.
Interesting find, though.
This *IS* AOLnews we're talking about, after all.
My house is older....
ya know, ancient, from the 17th century, like that pesky old constitution that they wish would shuffle off to beulah land?
oops, 1700s, or 18th century
Ten years since the towers fell and they still haven’t built a new trade center !!!??? still digging in the basement? WTF
200 years is not ancient. That takes a couple millenium.
· Discover · Bronze Age Forum · Science Daily · Science News · Eurekalert · PhysOrg ·
· Nat Geographic · Texas AM Anthro News · Yahoo Anthro & Archaeo · Google ·
· Archaeology · The Archaeology Channel · Excerpt, or Link only? · cgk's list of ping lists ·
· History topic · history keyword · archaeology keyword · paleontology keyword ·
· Science topic · science keyword · Books/Literature topic · pages keyword · ·
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.