Skip to comments.5 theories why Obama is going on 'The View'
Posted on 07/27/2010 7:50:05 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
President Obama is making history by participating in a daytime talk show. But why "The View"? And why now?
Though no sitting president has ever appeared on a daytime talk show, when Barack Obama tapes "The View" on Wednesday, it will actually be his second visit with Barbara Walters & Co. The last time "The View" ladies welcomed him, during his 2008 presidential campaign, their questions weren't entirely soft-ball. So why is Obama returning now? And is it a good idea? Here are five takes: (Watch Whoopi Goldberg's announcement)
1. The president is doing PR repair after the Shirley Sherrod debacle Obama's decision to do "The View," says David Zurawik in The Baltimore Sun, is a "direct response" to the criticism over "his administration's harsh and abrupt firing of USDA worker [Sherrod]." His mea culpas will be aimed at the "many female viewers of 'The View' who might have been particularly offended" by the firing, and it fits the prototypical Obama pattern: "When the going gets tough, the president goes on TV."
2. It's an inevitable step why did it take so long? Almost 20 years after populist genius Bill Clinton's seminal saxophone moment on The Arsenio Hall Show, says Jason Cochran in WalletPop, Obama's stop by "The View" shows that our politicians are finally seeing "value in communicating with us where we actually live, in between the ads for groceries and diapers." The real question is: Why haven't other presidents tapped this demographic?
3. Obama knows "The View" audience will give him a no-brainer boost Obama would reach a bigger audience on the "Late Show with David Letterman," says Jessica Grose in Slate's XX Factor, but given his "pretty dismal" approval ratings, "Obama is looking for an easy boost, and he knows he'll get it from Barbara and Co." He's likely noted how "gentle" they were with Vice President Joe Biden in April.
4. Older women vote The specific demographic goldmine here is the show's "huge audience of middle-aged, working class women," says Amy Chozick in The Wall Street Journal. These women (median age: 59) "rarely watch the Sunday news shows," but they "vote in midterm elections in much larger numbers than their male counterparts."
5. It's the economy, stupid It's important to remember that "The View" audience isn't just female, says Dan Amira in New York Magazine. With the midterm elections fast approaching, and the economy "still struggling," Obama could really "use some face time" with both "penny-pinching suburban housewives and channel-flipping unemployed people" of both sexes.
What are the VIEW’S ratings? (I wouldn’t know...never watched it....)
With Obama there.. NONE.
He should go on Maury so we find out who his real father is...
I’m crying laughing. That’s funny.
... and scouts don’t vote
This thread is full of choice put downs and Obama has earned them. Just another gay effin’ Harvard lawyer like Elena Kagan
Dunno, but they will probably go down like anyone else he visits and supports!
SEVEN: MTV’s JACK ASS turned him down.
The karate one, fifth one down, is 0bama at his limp wristed best plus his facial expression is priceless
Not to be outdone by Gov. Palin, Obama appears on the View to kick off his “Mama Grungies” tour
Given all his effeminate behavior, he should feel
right at ease with the rest of the girls. He can show
how to throw a baseball like a girl.
I keep trying to remember if I’ve ever read of one of Obama’s old girlfriends saying anything about him ... weird. I cannot think of one ... weird. ;-)
To call the blonde a teabagging racist?
that would prove to be interesting to me
In his supposed autobiography the only girlfriend story mentioned was identical to the primary girlfriend saga of William Ayers’ life. It was all about class issues, and didn’t focus on romance or sex at all. Someone pointed out that the odds of Obama and Ayers having such an eerily similar experience is astronomical.
Nice shot! Still laughing, thanks.
I don’t watch daytime talk shows. I’m at work.
I don’t watch Sunday news shows. I’m in church.
I think that my “don’t watch” profile fits that of millions of Americans, including the vast majority of voters—men, women, old, young, rich, poor, well-informed, uninformed, all races and ethnicities.
And I wouldn’t want to see obama anyway. The very sight of him makes me angry. I think that that reaction fits a large and growing number of Americans as well.
Have you tried buying a recorder?
As a working female I stopped reading right there.
I needed a good laugh!
6. Why not? That’s his natural habitat anyway. The real mystery is how did his handlers convinced him to take a grown-up job.
Because he’s gay and he misses hanging around with Fag-hags like those on the view.
Obama really wanted to go on Jerry Springer!
Jerry would have pulled out the DNA results to prove who
is Zero’s real father. (It is Malcolm X and that is why the birth certificate is hidden away).
Obama's handlers looked at his poll numbers, then had nightmares about protesters with crude-oil-filled supersoakers.
They're thinking Obama's having a crisis of confidence. He needs to hit a home run, not just to motivate his troops but for his own ego.
The View fills the bill perfectly. Hope the girls there have prepared for his visit by bringing extra pairs of dry panties - I know they'll need them afterwards.
To skip the Boy Scout Centennial Jamboree in Washington D.C. Boy Scouts should invite former Bush Presidents.
To promoter fundraising tour.
To get easy questions from Left wing Socialist View Hosts.
To tell you the truth, the whole thing makes no sense to me. I don’t see where he’s going to connect with a single person watching “The Spew” who wouldn’t have voted for him otherwise. So, from a political perspective, what’s the point?
Actually, only a truly pathetic weakling of a President would chose to appear with a pack of completely ignorant and witless morons like Joy Behar, rather than say, a little trip to the lions den on Fox to attempt to slay a dragon or two there. Obama’s appearance with Joy Behar, more than practically anything else he’s done as President, shows what a pathetic little weakling of a human being he truly is.
And just think. This is in Teh One's first two years, and without any overt scandal or crisis.
Simple. Because the gullible idiots no longer come looking for him.
Which of course, would be sexist.
He’s going to talk about his ‘girls”, Michelle included and say how FABULOUS they all are....oh, and how they are all just like us!!
I bet he and Michelle will pull some stunt on his birthday to follow up with this idiot demographic. She’ll be at that five star resort in Spain. Barack will be all alone in Chicago or where ever he is partying. Michelle and the kid will do a video or maybe even fly back to surprise him.
Because it cheapens the office. Even Clinton drew a line at some point.
This appearance makes him look desperate in my “view”. Go for it zero.
Sure doesn’t help his manly image.
Bingo, he needs an ego boost and those old yentas will be drooling all over the Marxist bastard. I’d spit in his face if I met him.
Why he’s not arrested for treason in beyond my imagination.
He’s going on the View because he was elected by the massive hordes of brainless , uneducated , morons who are Americans.
He knows that’s JUST who will be watching that show. He’ll come armed with all his bullshit and excuses and once again try to charm the dumb American serfs into more Marxism.
Behar is going to teach him how to piss standing up.
Who needs it?
By the time you get back from work, or from church on Sunday (including a coffee hour or lunch at church after Divine Liturgy), you don’t have time for all the utter fufarar they dish out on “The View” or on those obama-worshipping Sunday “news” shows.
And with the spiritual blessings that our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ gives me in the Divine Liturgy and Holy Communion, I don’t need to spoil them by listening to or viewing a bunch of Satan-infuenced garbage. I’m sure that our priest would heartily agree.
I keep informed via the Internet. It works better anyway!!!!
I guess Barney has been busy out on Fire Island.
He mocks America, “You’all know I failed to qualify and I know that, I won, and thats it”
This is an ego that has to continuously flaunt his illegally gained position of power and dominance.
I remember growing up as a child and there was always one kid that loved to taint the others that his dad was bigger, their house was bigger, he was smarter etc.
Looking back to the past many years ago all I have to say is this, now that I am in my 50’s, I’m sorry I kicked your stupid smug little a$$ all over the street (I forget their names)and I hoped you changed your “view” in life.
Glenn Beck pointed this out on his show yesterday. He is looking to appeal to the oppressed as well the common man. In doing so he strengthens his regime, leading us to socialism.
Does Jerry Springer still have his show?
He heard someone was getting a brand new pair of knee pads!
Just for a little perspective. I’m sure like everything else this is conceived of by a mid-level staffer and then gets pushed up through the ranks who can check either yeah or nay. I.E. this may say more about the 20 something junior staffers working for 0bamao than anything else.
By going on the View today, Obama did two things.
1) Boy scouts parents are probably Conservative. Obama hates Conservatives and was worried that the Leftwing would get on him for going to an event where the group supports traditional American values. Therefore Obama was playing to the base by snubbing the Boy Scouts.
2) This was a gift to the Networks. Don’t be suprised to see him on Letterman, Leno, Today, etc. This will bring in advertising revenue.
Obama could have gone on the View anytime he liked. He chose today.
“He needs to tell the world that its Bushs fault”
Yeah, and John Kerry needs to quit keeping his Vietnam war service a secret.