Skip to comments.US backs Afghan plan to ditch security contractors
Posted on 08/16/2010 2:32:37 AM PDT by LeoWindhorse
KABUL, Afghanistan The U.S. military supports the Afghan government's plan to dissolve private security companies and is tightening oversight of its own armed contractors in the interim, an official said Monday.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has called repeatedly for banning private security companies, saying they undermine government security forces. Contractors perform duties ranging from guarding supply convoys to personal security details for diplomats and businessmen.
A presidential spokesman said last week a deadline to abolish private security contractors was imminent. In his inauguration speech in November, Karzai said he wanted to close down both foreign and domestic security contractors within two years.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
I'm wondering what the DoS wienies will do without their security details.......
Several dead Afghan VIPs later, suddenly private contractors are legal again!!!
Who could predict such a thing?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.