Skip to comments.Soldier says he was ordered to delete Fort Hood video (Want proof politics entering military?)
Posted on 10/15/2010 10:15:57 AM PDT by bestintxas
A soldier says he shot cell phone video during last year's Fort Hood deadly rampage but that an officer ordered him to delete the footage.
Under cross examination Friday, Pfc. Lance Aviles has told a military court that he deleted the two videos at the direction of his NCO on the same day as the shooting, Nov. 5.
Friday is the third full day of testimony at the Article 32 hearing to decide if Maj. Nidal Hasan, the 40-year-old American-born Muslim charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder at Fort Hood, should stand trial.
Witnesses have already described how they saw Hasan open fire, shoot rapidly and reload at least one laser-sighted handgun in a medical processing center at the Texas Army post.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtontimes.com ...
Is that sucker still collecting a paycheck?
That Officer should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice and for giving an unlawful order.
They’re having a hearing to decide if he should stand trial? That’s really necessary?
That is called destruction of evidence.
Isn’t destruction of evidence a crime?
I would have transfered the video to my hard drive and then deleted it from the phone and showed the NCO that it was deleted from his phone.
That NCO needs to be charged with destroying evidence in a capital murder trial.
Wonder what the “race/religion” was of this “NCO”!
I think this is a life saving measure on the soldiers part.
I prefer to think that, when he gave the order to destroy it, the NCO was considering the impact of the video on the families of the victims and its potential for exploitation as jihadi propaganda. And given the unreliability of law enforcement in keeping sensitive materials out of the press and the complete irresponsibility of the press in these matters - not to mention the social media - “going viral” is exactly what would have happened had the video been preserved.
No - Islam is in the military plus the rest of the govt. The Saudis have sharholdings, investments and joint ventures with ALL 6 TV networks who own all the channels in the USA>
Keep watching Tva nd paying those cable bills. It helps Allah and the Islamification of America.
I suspect that would be the most likely motive as well...The troop should have downloaded a copy and turned the phone over to CID.
This is evidence.
It is either evidence that he was illegally using a recording device in a restricted area of a military installation, or it is evidence in a civilian court case, or it is evidence in a military court case.
He should NOT have deleted it, regardless of what some bureaucrat told him to do.
Different angle from me, a former soldier...
WTF was this lame-arse soldier doing VIDEOTAPING a frickin’ massacre? Why wasn’t he pulling friends to safety? Considering options to engage with a makeshift weapon? Organizing a defense plan?
I’m ex-infantry, so the fight vs. flight instinct is VERY strong in me. I could never videotape something like this instead of acting and live with myself.
Note to Angela, Michael, and unnamed editors to learn about the difference between “officer” and NCO.
“I prefer to think that, when he gave the order to destroy it, the NCO was considering the impact of the video on the families of the victims and its potential for exploitation as jihadi propaganda. “
Think about what you are saying: 14 soldiers murdered and more injured at a military base, and an NCO’s first thought was to families and to exploitation?
The military’s first and foremost job is to defend civilians and to win battles, period.
I can perhaps see the families part, but only to a limited extent. But their primary directive is not toward a soldier’s family. It is toward ensuring those battles are won, and unity in an outfit is of prime importance over “sensitivity” even. Unity cannot be preserved if renegade officers who have the ability to control lives of soldiers are within the system. These must be found out and a video enforces that finding.
Also, if the family sensitivity was paramount, a soldier would never be ordered into battle for fear he would be injured or killed..
As for as the low-ranking NCO coming up to a conclusion to concern himself with jihadist exploitation, that, is certainly illogical.
No, politics at much higher levels was played out here. Once the GOP controls the House, how far up order came from will be revealed.
Court martial for the NCO
A sargeant has no authority to decide the value or emotional impact of this. Thisshould have been a command decision. They were’nt in a war zone, there was time to make a measured decision about this. I find it deeply troubling.
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
By spreading this definition around, perhaps we can employ one of the more effective methods of deflating and defeating the fools who practice and promote it: RIDICULE.
Unless stopped and soon PC will DESTROY Western Civilization -- if it hasnt already.
PASS IT ON!!
THEN PASS THE KOOL AID!!
My first thought too, that it would be on you-boob or a jihdi’s playlist with in a week.
My very first reaction: "This was an abject failure of Army training!"
WHAT”S HIS NAME???
I don’t think you people are “getting it.”
You see, SOME MINERS WERE RESCUED FROM A HOLE YESTERDAY!!!!
Nothing to see here so just move along!
Most of my fellow enlisted back 69-77 were trained to obey
orders from their superiors first—and ask questions later.
What the em should have done— or might have done as rear view
mirror speculation is mental exercise and fun but not much help.
Most of my NCOs, when I was commissioned from 91-00 were trained not to destroy evidence of criminal activity or give illegal orders.
You are entitled to your opinion. It isn’t mine.
Absolutely correct. The sergeant didn't have the authority. All he had was his experience in dealing with teenaged and slightly older soldiers and how they use and abuse all the personal communications technology they have access to these days.
Thisshould have been a command decision.
Absolutely agree and said that it should have been preserved as evidence at the beginning of my original post.
They werent in a war zone, there was time to make a measured decision about this.
Absolutely agree. I'm always calm and deliberate in the aftermath of having a dozen or more of my comrades (or their family members) murdered in cold blood and having several dozen more seriously wounded. Yep, I'm always calm and deliberate, always thinking things out real thoroughly before doing anything. Yep, that's me.
I find it deeply troubling.
You are entitled to your opinion. Its not mine.
Of. Course UR.
If it prevailed, more Americans would die,though.
As for me, after serving 23 years in the Marine Corps as an enlisted Marine and as an officer, I'll keep my own counsel on what was probably an almost spontaneous act done by two low ranking enlisted soldiers while in a highly charged emotional state.
Semper Fi, Mac. (In every sense of the phrase.)
I commend your service.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.