Skip to comments.
Record Cold at Cancun Climate Confab
New American ^
| December 11, 2010
| W. F. Jasper
Posted on 12/12/2010 5:14:47 AM PST by IbJensen
As the United Nations opened its latest conference on global warming, Mother Nature sent snowstorms and freezing temperatures that disrupted travel all across Europe and much of the Northern Hemisphere.
Even Cancun, Mexico's sunny resort city that hosted the confab, was not spared the chill. The UN summit, known as COP16 (the 16th Conference of Parties on global warming), concluded Saturday morning after an all-night marathon session. Cancun may not have experienced blizzards and ice, but it did, nevertheless, get hammered with record low temps for the month of December.
Meteorologist Anthony Watts, who runs the global warming skeptic blog "Watts Up With That?," couldn't resist rubbing it in. In a December 10 posting, entitled "Gore Effect" on Steroids: Six straight days of record low temperatures during COP16 in Cancun Mexico more coming, Watts wrote:
The irony, it burns. Do you think maybe Gaia is trying to send the U.N. and the delegates a message? One record low was funny, three in a row was hilarious, a new record low for the month of December was ROFL [Rolling On Floor Laughing], but now six straight days of record lows during the U.N. COP16 Global Warming conference? That's galactically inconvenient. The whole month so far has averaged below normal...
How cold did it get? Temps were in the low 50s (Fahrenheit), for the most part, so no one got frostbite. Not bone-chilling, but also not the bikini temperatures and margaritas-on-the-beach experience most snowbirds are expecting when they ditch frigid Oslo, London, and Kalamazoo for Mexico's fabled sunny clime. Watts shows the official low temperatures for the past six days of the conference (December 5-10) and then matches them with the recorded historic lows for the same dates. The conference dates either tied the record lows or were lower by 4 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
"It is likely we will see a full week, possibly 8 days of record lows, and another new all time record low for the month of December is possible also," says Anthony Watts.
This recent cold wave in Cancun has already added to the lore of the "Gore Effect," which is defined in the Urban Dictionary as:
The phenomenon that leads to unseasonably cold temperatures, driving rain, hail, or snow whenever Al Gore visits an area to discuss global warming.
Poor Al Gore. He doesn't even have to show up at a global warming event anymore for record cold often accompanied by paralyzing blizzards to dampen, or even cancel, the event. The following are a few of the many links to stories from around the world about the Gore Effect provided by Marc Morano at the Climate Depot blog site:
Melbourne temperatures plummet in anticipation of Al Gore's visit next week!
First October snow since 1922 blankets London as global warming bill debated - October 2008
'Gore Effect': Driving snow froze the hopes of organizers of "the biggest global warming protest in history" in Washington
The Gore Effect brings snow to New York City
Al "Mr. Global Warming" Gore didn't show up in Cancun. Perhaps that was by design, since his appearance at last year's Copenhagen summit coincided with the arrival of record cold temperatures and snow storms that forced U.S. House Speaker and her congressional delegation to leave Denmark early to avoid being snowed in. Even many members of the huge press pool at the Copenhagen summit, almost all of whom were solidly in Al Gore's AGW (anthropogenic global warming) camp, couldn't resist joking about the phenomenon. As I watched the first snow flakes begin to fall last December at Copenhagen's Bella Center, a reporter for Britain's left-wing Guardian commented: "Here comes the snow; Gore's plane must have landed." Similar comments, though considered politically incorrect (if not outright heresy) among the green true believers, were not uncommon in the media center.
Our own video for The New American from the COP15 conference, Gore Effect Impacts Copenhagen Climate provides a glimpse of the deep freeze that Gore's visit was credited with bringing to the event.
As delegates and NGO activists at Cancun insisted that the planet is overheating, millions of people were being deluged with snow and shivering in some of the coldest weather in a century. An extended headline for the U.K.'s Daily Mail on December 9 read:
Now the Army moves in to clear away snow in coldest December for 100 years as fuel runs out at petrol stations in Scotland and East Anglia
British columnist/blogger James Delingpole at The Telegraph aimed this satirical barrage at the global warming alarmists in Cancun and in the media:
As your boiler breaks down, your pipes freeze, your car won't start, your Ocado delivery fails to arrive, your train is cancelled, your neck is broken after slipping on black ice and you lie in an emergency ward waiting for a doctor to turn up only to learn that they're all off today because of the weather, you might be forgiven for thinking that all this has something to do with global cooling, changes in the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, and the decline in sunspot activity perhaps auguring a new Maunder minimum.
But, of course, you would be wrong, says Delingpole, in his acerbic parody; the "experts" will assure us that all this freezing mayhem is the result of global warming.
TOPICS: Business/Economy; Constitution/Conservatism; Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs
KEYWORDS: globalcooling; globalwarming; gorebalwarming; iceage
Having traitorous dogs negotiating with a UN gaggle of trough sucking hogs from third world countries is too much for Americans to bear.
While these bozos were jawboning about a situation that's as phony as Obama's birth certificate, the Cancoonians were freezing their ninnyhammers off.
Meanwhile the ink has dried on an agreement, authorized by el presidente Obozo, that would transfer 1.5 % of our GDP to the UN coffers annually.
Get the US out of the UN and get Obamamaniacs out of the White Hut.
posted on 12/12/2010 5:14:48 AM PST
‘Do you think maybe Gaia is trying to send the U.N. and the delegates a message?”
No...But God is sending a message and chuckling while he delivers it.
To: IbJensen; Normandy; Whenifhow; TenthAmendmentChampion; Clive; scripter; Darnright; WL-law; ...
|The Gore Effect
(Links may expire over time.)
- GORE HEARING ON WARMING MAY BE PUT ON ICE
Mon Jan 26 2009 17:59:26 ET
Al Gore is scheduled before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday morning to once again testify on the 'urgent need' to combat global warming.
But Mother Nature seems ready to freeze the proceedings.
A 'Winter Storm Watch' has been posted for the nation's capitol and there is a potential for significant snow... sleet... or ice accumulations.
"I can't imagine the Democrats would want to showcase Mr. Gore and his new findings on global warming as a winter storm rages outside," a Republican lawmaker emailed the DRUDGE REPORT. "And if the ice really piles up, it will not be safe to travel."
A spokesman for Sen. John Kerry, who chairs the committee, was not immediately available to comment on contingency plans.
Global warming advocates have suggested this year's wild winter spells are proof of climate change.
- HEARING ON 'WARMING OF THE PLANET' CANCELED AFTER ICE STORM (Drudge Report ) February 13, 2007
- March 1, 2007 --- Minnesota Public Radio's "Global Warming: The Home Front" scheduled for March 1 was cancelled due to insufficient global warming ("based on current travel advisories ").
- March 7, 2007 --- A Congressional subcommittee meeting on Energy and Air Quality Hearing on "Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?" was cancelled due to a snow advisory. "A SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING."
Recall that greenhouse hypothesis maintains that warming due to increases in the greenhouse effect is anticipated to be greatest in the winter.
- Frostbite, equipment damage end latest Bancroft-Arnesen trek
March 12, 2007
MINNEAPOLIS - A North Pole expedition meant to bring attention to global warming was called off after one of the explorers got frostbite.
What follows is a sampling of how Mother Nature enjoys ridiculing promoters of the global warming scam.
The Gore Effect: Politico, November 2008
First October snow since 1922 blankets London as global warming bill debated: Register, October 2008
Global Warming Vote on Snowy Day in Washington - Senate committee debates expensive climate change bill as snow blankets D.C.:
- First October snow since 1922 blankets London as global warming bill debated: Register, October 2008
- Global Warming Vote on Snowy Day in Washington - Senate committee debates expensive climate change bill as snow blankets D.C.: Business and Media, December 2007
- HOUSE HEARING ON 'WARMING OF THE PLANET' CANCELED AFTER SNOW/ICE STORM: Drudge Report, February 2007
- NOT AGAIN! DC 'Snow Advisory' Issued on Day of Congressional Global Warming Hearing: Times, March 2007
- Gore decries 'global warming' in bitterly cold NYC: WND, December 2006
- Gore delivers environmental message at Harvard ...with near 125-year record breaking low temps: MOTLS, October 2008
- Global warming activists urged to focus on Earth Day rallies and ignore snow as it 'piles up outside our windows': Alarmism, April 17, 2007
- No Joke! Cyclists 'braved freezing cold temps' to promote global warming awareness in New York: WKTV, October 22, 2008
- Global warming protest in Maryland frosted with snow: Baltimore Sun, January 2008
- Global warming rally in the snow: Alarmism, April 2007
- Snow won't dampen global-warming rallies: Live Daily, April 2007
- Brrrr - Obama to global warming demonstrators: 'This is probably not the weather to hold up those signs...it's a little chilly today', Space Daily, October 28, 2008
- Global Warming Awareness Walk Braves Snow Storm: Nashua Telegraph, March 2007
- The Gore Effect, Cont. - Gore speaks in Italy during 'rare' cold and snow: Planet Gore, December 16, 2008
- Climate protest canceled 'due to rain and cold': Telegraph (Australia), Nov. 23, 2008
- Penguin Ice Sculptures refuse to melt 1997
- Three British explorers trying to ski to the North Pole to measure the thickness of sea ice only have one day's food left as bad weather hampers supply flights March 17, 2009
- Texas Email Subject Line: 'Global Warming Lecture Postponed Due to Cooling' Houston Chronicle via NewsBusters, December 5, 2009
- Al Gore Warns of Global Warming Doom Seconds Before CNN Reports 'Monster' Winter Storm (NewsBusters) December 9, 2009
- Record Cold To hit Global Warming Conference (Copenhagen To Break Dec 17th Record by 7 Degrees!) December 17, 2009
- Snowstorm squelches climate change protest Copenhagen, December 30, 2009 ... A downtown protest of the climate change talks in Copenhagen became a victim of Wednesday's snowstorm. "Not many people showed up because of the blizzard conditions," said organizer Clea Major, an international studies student at the University of Utah... She called Wednesday evening's effort a success and possibly the first in a series. As for the snow, it's not entirely new; a protest she attended last year in Washington, D.C., suffered a similar fate..."There is always the irony element," Major said. (There is also the reality element of the globe's current 11 year cooling cycle, Clea.)
- Gore effect strikes Cancun Climate Conference 3 days in a row December 8, 2010
- Gore Effect on Steroids: Six straight days of record low temperatures during COP16 in Cancun Mexico more coming December 10, 2010, Watts Up With That
- Record Cold at Cancun Climate Confab 11 Dec 10, New American
posted on 12/12/2010 5:24:47 AM PST
(ObamaCare Death Panels: a Final Solution to the looming Social Security crisis ?)
To: Le Chien Rouge
To: Le Chien Rouge
Yes... God doth have a sense of humor!
I am sure the global climate change fanatics were very ticked off at the cold weather in Cancun. (We know they are...)
If they were really serious about their beliefs they would have rejoiced in the cooler weather.
Makes me smile even more!
Off to shovel the three foot drifts in front of my garage. (I just spent a half an hour digging out my daughter's car.)
posted on 12/12/2010 5:27:20 AM PST
by Northern Yankee
(Where Liberty dwells, there is my Country. - Benjamin Franklin)
It’s not nice to “diss” Mother Nature by stating that puny Man has any control over the planet.
posted on 12/12/2010 6:00:06 AM PST
(You're just jealous because the Voices talk only to me.)
posted on 12/12/2010 6:54:55 AM PST
(The Evil Are Powerless If The Good Are Unafraid! - R. Reagan)
“an agreement, authorized by el presidente Obozo, that would transfer 1.5 % of our GDP to UN coffers annually”
Holy hell needs to be raised about this BS.
posted on 12/12/2010 7:15:10 AM PST
(FIRE JANE LUBCHENCO FROM NOAA)
Oh WOE is me... whys everybody always pickin on me???
listen... warming, cooling, it was 50/50. so i took a shot!!!
posted on 12/12/2010 8:06:32 AM PST
(American Hedonist - *DTOM* -ww- NO Pity for the LAZY)
To: November 2010
High beams ON in Cancun
posted on 12/12/2010 10:28:09 AM PST
("If you write a whole line of zeroes, it's still---nothing"...Kira Alexandrovna Argounova)
This seems to follow a pattern. Remember Obama got caught in a blizzard at Copenhagen and another one when he got back to Andrews AFB last year.
posted on 12/12/2010 9:51:19 PM PST
(January 20, 2013- The end of an error.)
posted on 12/13/2010 7:15:54 AM PST
(The Marine Corps - When It Absolutely, Positively Has To Be Destroyed Overnight.)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson