Skip to comments.So, Why Is Incest Wrong?
Posted on 12/15/2010 9:18:21 PM PST by This Just In
So, Why Is Incest Wrong?
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
There are certain questions now pressed upon us that previous generations would never believe could be asked. One of these is thrust upon us by events in New York City, where a well-known Ivy League professor has been arrested for the crime of incest. What makes the question urgent is not so much the arrest, but the controversy surrounding it.
David Epstein is a professor of political science at Columbia University, where his wife also teaches. He previously taught on the faculties of Harvard and Stanford. Last week, he was arraigned before a judge in Manhattan, charged with a single count of felony incest. According to authorities, Professor Epstein was for several years involved in a sexual relationship with his adult daughter, now age 24.
Though the story was ignored by much of the mainstream media, it quickly found its way into the cultural conversation. William Saletan of Slate.com, who remains one of todays most relevant writers working on the issues of bioethics and human nature, jumped on the story with a very interesting essay that openly asked the question many others were more quietly asking: If homosexuality is OK, why is incest wrong? Related Posts
* Homosexuality and the Bible One Very Wrong Way to Deal With the Text * Americas Debate over Homosexuality: Are Christians On the Wrong Side of History? (Audio) * Rights Talk Collides with Right and Wrong * Both Wrong and Dangerous Scientists Have Worldviews, Too. * The Land of Never Wrong The Real World of Big-Time Sports
(Excerpt) Read more at albertmohler.com ...
"The conservative view is that all sexual deviancehomosexuality, polyamory, adultery, bestiality, incestviolates the natural order. Families depend on moral structure: Mom, Dad, kids. When you confound that structurewhen Dad sleeps with a man, Dad sleeps with another woman, or Mom sleeps with Grandpathe family falls apart. Kids need clear roles and relationships. Without this, they get disoriented. Mess with the family, and you mess up the kids.
Thats a pretty fair summary. Of course, the Christian argument goes much deeper than the merely conservative argument, affirming the fact that, with exacting precision, God has spoken to the sinfulness of such behaviors specifically condemning both homosexuality and incest. In other words, Christians move the question from mere wrongfulness to sinfulness and place all issues of sin within the biblical account of sin and redemption."
Thank you to Dr. Mohler for concisely addressing this issue. Sadly, America will be forced to confront this abhorrent and debauched behavior more in the coming weeks, months, years as this becomes common in mainstream society.
May the Lord have mercy on us.
May G_d have mercy on our souls. I can not believe that tis is even debatable.
We all have choices...we can be men, or we can be creatures of the field...
. CASTRATION IS THE CURE.
If you have to ask, you probably will not understand the explanation.
I would say choldren of God, or beasts.
I would say choldren of God, or beasts.
I didn’t see anywhere in the article about
the risk of inbred mutations. Other than
the obvious deviancy of incest, isn’t genetic
mutation the reason God forbids it?
I just threw up a little in my mouth...
You should read the article. The problem is far more serious than simply castrating the guilty as a means of punishment. Each and every American should not only be disturbed by this, but outraged that America has arrived at such a place in history in which this abhorrent behavior threatens to “go mainstream”.
This appeals to the progressives because it will eventually weaken our society to the point where they can impose their totalitarian goals
We are trading true freedom for government license of hedonistic gratification..
This link comments on it:
Basically it says that it is the moral state of not caring about right and wrong. It is the goal of liberalism and it seems to have quite a few sign on. That includes ‘fiscal conservatives’ that try and stamp out social conservatives, as if you could separate the two. However, the author here gets the conservative view nicely.
It’s like kissing your sister, yuck.
I’m no animal expert, but I wonder how common incest is (if you can call it that) in animals?
Christ doesn’t just forbid the abhorrent action of incest because it is an act contrary to nature. The Lord describes this, as stated in the article, as sin.
This act is contrary to nature, which is created by the Lord. The practical as well as spiritual ramifications are far more devastating than people can imagine.
I knew a family personally for years when I discover that the father had been raping his daughter. She bore his child. The baby was born with a number of health problems, and died at 2 yrs. old(?).
The genetic mutation is certainly one of the consequences of incestuous relationships, but there are also spiritual consequences as well.
Seems to me when the people involved are consenting adults it remains wrong but I’m not sure putting anyone in jail is the answer.
The real problem is the left absolutely is multiplying these behaviors, while lying that it is not.
I forgot to complete the thought. I don’t seem to hear about it in the wild. Did a search, and DUH! The cubs, young, etc. are kicked out to find their OWN territory (thus helping to avoid the promblems of in-breeding).
Of course there was an article about juvenile monkeys “doing it” with siblings. Probably just experimentation. Just like the family at school growing up where the two boys bragged about “doing it” with their big sister (and not just big, but huge). The entire family was ugly as sin, so it seemed believable at the time. Still does. (Yuck!!)
No, you can’t call it that.
You can’t compare animals to humans. We were created in the image of the Lord. Animals are not. We are human. Animals are not (I know, I’m stating the obvious here).
Read this document carefully, and note the goals which coinside with our topic of discussion:
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.