1. Politicians want to get elected and reelected.
2. Unions contribute to their campaigns and gurantee turnout.
3. Politicians negotiate sweetheart deals with the unions.
4. Politicians underfund pensions so they can buy goodies for their contituents and buy more votes.
5. Before the stinky hits the fan, the politicians have moved on and/or retired.
6. Retirees and the taxpayers get screwed.
The average workers nationwide do not receive exhorbitant pensions. The fatcat bureaucrats do.
Banksters. The banksters own it all in the end.