Skip to comments.F1 » Mosley legal bid 'imperils investigative journalism'
Posted on 01/11/2011 6:50:21 AM PST by em2vn
If successful, Max Mosley's bid to change the UK law on privacy could result in 'a radically different press...with a lot of the colour taken away' and 'papers folding because they can't afford the legal costs' and 'would imperil investigative journalism', it has been warned as D-day looms in the European Court of Human Rights.
Just under three years ago, the then FIA President found himself at the centre of a sensationalist tabloid sex scandal following a front page exposé published by Sunday red-top the News of the World detailing his lurid liaisons with prostitutes in a so-called 'torture dungeon' in London. Mosley successfully sued the newspaper for a record £60,000 in damages after the High Court ruled that his right to privacy had been violated.
Tabloid revelations can cause great pain, even suicide, he wrote on the Guardian website. As things stand, the law is ineffective. It cannot prevent even the most outrageously illegal invasions of privacy by the tabloids. If they feel like it, they can ruin lives with impunity. The only answer is to compel a newspaper to inform you if it intends to publish your private information.
(Excerpt) Read more at crash.net ...
That brash America, letting the press tell all about any celebrity or public figure (except maybe their social security number). Mosley would never have survived in the USA.
From the article:So they run to the "Court of Human Rights" to amend the law?
The case being tabled by Mosley's lawyers is that the only way to effectively quash such unethical practice is to amend the law,
This is a British law, and a British citizen. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to amend this law through action in the British Parliament?
I guess Judicial Activism, and those who crave it, know no boundaries.
saw it THX
"...hmmmm let's see, I have this much,the free democratic world has that much......where can I get a bigger banana?...who's got oddles of bananas....let's let a court that looks down on developed countries decide....where has to most been spent on racing in the last two years?...who's got oddles of bananas?
I hope it stings some more Max.
Ferrari will unveil their 2011 Formula 1 car at their Maranello base on 28 January before flying it to Spain for the first pre-season test at Valencia on 1 February, team principal Stefano Domenicali told a news conference on Wednesday.
Full story: ferrari.com
Motorsport vice-president Norbert Haug has told the German press agency (DPA) that Mercedes "has not made an offer" for Sebastian Vettel after Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko told Austrian media their rivals were keen to sign the world champion.
Full story: ESPNF1. Com
Fernando Alonso had to rest a muscle lesion in his right leg and could not go skiing on the first day of 'Wrooom 2011', which brings together the pilots of Ferrari and Ducati teams in the Italian winter resort of Madonna di Campiglio.
Full story: Marca (in Spanish)
Had a chat with Alonso about the season ahead. Says he's ready, got over 2010. Thinks it's unlikely that one team will dominate.
Formula 1 broadcaster James Allen on Twitter
Vitaly Petrov will unveil the new Renault livery on the Lotus stand at the Autosport International show in Birmingham on Thursday.
Autosport's Jonathan Noble on Twitter
Derek Gardner, the man who helped design the title-winning Tyrrells in the 1970s and created the team's famous six-wheeler, has died at the age of 79.
Full story: Autosport
The Formula 1 teams’ umbrella group Fota is to investigate allegations that some teams may have overspent in 2010, according to Ferrari.
Rivals have accused Red Bull behind the scenes of breaking the Resource Restriction Agreement (RRA), which puts limits on staff, spend and resources.
However, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said: “I think all the teams that signed have complied.”
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has denied breaking the RRA.
“We’ve worked in accordance with the RRA limits since they were introduced,” Horner told BBC Sport. “With tremendous hard work and internal efficiencies, we believe we’ve absolutely adhered to it.
The BBC will broadcast Formula 1 in high definition for the first time this coming season.
The move comes after F1 commercial body FOM confirmed that all broadcasters will be supplied with a high-definition feed for the first time.
David Coulthard’s move to the commentary box alongside Martin Brundle sees Eddie Jordan become main analyst.
Jake Humphrey will continue to present with Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie reporting from the pit lane.
BBC head of F1 Ben Gallop said: “It’s fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role.