Skip to comments.Lebanese Government Collapses After Hezbollah Ministers Resign
Posted on 01/13/2011 5:41:18 AM PST by a_note
Lebanon's government collapsed Wednesday after Hezbollah and its allies resigned from the Cabinet in a dispute with Western-backed factions over upcoming indictments in the 2005 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
A U.N.-backed tribunal investigating the truck bombing that killed Hariri and 22 others is widely expected to name members of the Shiite militant group, which many fear could re-ignite sectarian violence that has erupted repeatedly in the tiny nation...
The U.S. classifies Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.
A White House statement said Obama commended Hariri for his "steadfast leadership and efforts to reach peace, stability and consensus in Lebanon under difficult circumstances."
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Hezbollah's actions are "a transparent effort ... to subvert justice and to undermine Lebanon's sovereignty and independence."
"No country should be forced to choose between justice and stability," Clinton said...
Violence has been a major concern as tensions rise in Lebanon, where Shiites, Sunnis and Christians each make up about a third of the country's 4 million people. In 2008, sectarian clashes killed 81 people and nearly plunged Lebanon into another civil war.
Rami Khouri, director of the Issam Fares Institute of Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut, said he does not expect any immediate widescale violence, particularly after the destruction seen in 2008...
Rafik Hariri's assassination in a massive truck bombings both stunned and polarized Lebanese. He was Lebanon's most prominent politician in the years after Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war -- a Sunni who was a hero to his own community and backed by many Christians who sympathized with his efforts in the last few months of his life to reduce Syrian influence in the country.
A string of assassinations of anti-Syrian politicians and public figures followed, which U.N. investigators have said may have been connected to the Hariri killing..
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
"No," Hezbollah Islamofascist totalitarian thugs did/does... "Not":
* Kill Christian Arab Rafik Hariri.
* Seek Islamic oppressive regime upon all the people in the region.
* "Never" use its [or its friends'] Arab kids as human shields to make sure they die so that Zionists can be blamed again and again for Islamic crimes against humanity.
* Being funded by 'blood diamonds' and drug trafficking in Venezuela/Brazil/Paraguay, etc.
* Call to kill ALL Jews wherever they are (2002, 'Daily Star,' Hassan Nassrallah: "If they (Jews) all gather in Israel, it will save us the trouble of going after them worldwide."]
* Its racist al-Manar TV (banned in many western countries) calls Jews sub-humans, AKA "apes and pigs," and invented the ugly "conspiracy theroy" 2 days after the Islamic massascre of 3,000 people on 911.
* Connected to Islamic [apartheid regime] Republic of Iran and the Syrian oppressors.
* Invented the mass suicide bombing: the 'truck bomb.'
Massacre: Americans and French in Lebanon , Israelis in barrage of rockets, Torture/kidnapped westerners [1983-1990], Torture/killed Lebanese Jews , France , Argentina [I. Embassy 1992, AMIA, 1994], Panama , causing "clashes" in Lebanon that killed over 80 , behind jihadi crimes in Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.