Skip to comments.Blowout Containment Part of Drilling Permit Snag (12K jobs disappear - no end in sight?)
Posted on 02/07/2011 8:18:35 AM PST by Libloather
Blowout Containment Part of Drilling Permit Snag
Head of Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Says Oil Industry Can't Prove It Could Contain Another Major Blowout
Feb. 4, 2011
(AP) ATLANTA - Deepwater permits in the Gulf of Mexico have been withheld largely because the industry is unable to prove it could contain another major blowout at the bottom of the sea, the head of the agency that oversees offshore drilling said Friday.
Michael Bromwich, director of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement, made the disclosure in a letter he sent to executives at Exxon Mobil, Chevron and Helix Energy Solutions Group.
A federal report said the moratorium probably caused a temporary loss of 8,000 to 12,000 jobs in the Gulf region. Some critics have suggested that even though the moratorium was officially lifted, there is a de facto moratorium in place because permits for previously suspended activities aren't being approved quickly.
(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...
Hopefully that will be Jan 2013.
Wasn't his nickname “Gassy”
I’LL TELL YOU RIGHT NOW THAT THERE IS NO “SUGGESTION” THAT PERMITS ARE BEING DELAYED.
I’LL TELL YOU THAT PERMITS JUST AREN’T BEING WRITTEN.
I’LL ALSO TELL YOU THAT THE EXPECTATIONS ARE FOR RISK FREE OPERATIONS. HELL, IF YOU EXPECT A RISK FREE LIFE YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING AND DIE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE LIFE ISN’T RISK FREE.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.