Skip to comments.Teachers Union Blows $1.4M at Hilton Party
Posted on 02/24/2011 2:40:11 PM PST by Nachum
As nearly 5,000 city teachers face the ax, their union shells out millions of dollars on feasting, boozing and partying, the Daily News has learned.
(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...
Standard activity for unions.
Especially the public employee unions.
Steal from the taxpayer and then laugh in their face.
Its is over. No more. We will bring you back to the real world kicking and screaming if need be.
Good find. We need to keep exposing the union mafia.
At some point a majority of the teachers could turn against their union bosses.
Well maybe in a round about way. Those were teacher’s dues money which came from taxpayers that were taken out of their pay.
Not likely tax dollars, but surely teachers dues.
During my raunchy part of life, I could not tell who were the wildest women, but the top two are teachers and bankers, but legal sectary’s always hung in there. So that would be the top three.
Dreamer! It won't be over until the shooting starts.
Teachers gone wild Volume 1
VERY roundabout. It seems to me that whatever the teachers’ salaries might be, it’s THEIR money that they earned.
In most cases teachers have no real choice but to join the union. Years ago I was privileged to know a National Teacher of the Year. He said the only reason he belonged to the union was because of professional liability insurance, which is nearly as major a factor of employment to teachers (unfortunately) as it is to doctors (unfortunately). He said he could pay $X in union dues and get their insurance, or $3X for private insurance premiums.
I subsequently suggested to a power player in VA politics that some vehicle could be devised whereby the state offsets teachers’ liability insurance, but there was no follow up on his part or mine. The idea would be to give teachers a choice, which is what the left claims to believe in, isn’t it?
Teachers' dues from teachers' salaries. Salaries whose levels are based on things, like the required dues, and are funded from tax dollars.
Thats money that will not be used to fund rats.
I dropped out of the teacher’s union in Florida when I was teaching because I didn’t agree with my dues supporting politicians I didn’t want to support. My homeowner’s agent told me that I was covered by my homeowner’s policy if I should get sued.
The Unions can get lower premiums because of the amount of people paying into it. Same as if several businesses pooled their employees.
The unions haven’t gotten the memo yet like the rest of the country that the PARTY IS OVER - but they will. No pun intended. Americans are not in the mood to put up with this crap any longer.
Maybe the insurance would not be so high if we could fire incompetent teachers before they can do harm.
I don’t know about TX, but where I live in VA, teachers are paid by the County which receives very little federal funding (2.8% of the annual budget). Most of the school budget is from property taxes.
Nonetheless, the salaries are theirs, the teachers, and most of the time it’s been earned. That is part of our social compact; that we are taxed for certain purposes, including schools. I don’t have a problem with that so long as the teachers are doing their jobs.
As only one example of the kinds of teachers my kids had, one of their class advisors was eligible for retirement the year before my kid was to graduate, receiving something like 94% of her average salary for the previous 3 years (nice benefit package!) However, that teacher chose to stay and finish her time and commitment to that class. So, she worked that last year for 6% of her salary, forfeiting the other 94%. I don’t think you’d find her picketing anywhere.
Because public school teachers are government employees, they do not participate in the free enterprise system, and as a result, they do not generate their own revenue. They consume what others generate, in the form of tax dollars. Whatever they do with this revenue has no impact upon the fact that its source is the taxpayer. What's sad is that I doubt that there is a teacher walking who would consider this partying a valid use of their union dues.
I don’t begrudge their salaries at all. I don’t like that they are basically forced to be in the union and pay the dues. Since the teacher never sees that money, it goes straight from the tax coffers to the union.
” ..the teacher never sees that money, it goes straight from the tax coffers to the union”
Just like taxes! I often wonder what would happen if employees were given their entire paycheck and had to write Uncle Sam a check on 4/15 (or quarterly like the self-employed). They might take a better look at the whole tax issue.