Skip to comments.Petrobras gets permit for U.S. deep waters
Posted on 03/23/2011 9:59:17 AM PDT by Lucky9teen
WASHINGTON, March 18 (UPI) -- Washington has given Petrobras America Inc. permission to start oil and gas production in the Gulf of Mexico, a regulator said.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement gave Petrobras approval to use a floating production storage offloading facility at its Cascade-Chinook project in the Gulf of Mexico.
The approval marks the first time FPSO technology will be used in U.S. waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
The oil and gas project is about 165 miles off the coast of Louisiana in 8,200 feet of water. The FPSO has a production capacity of 80,000 barrels of oil and 16 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.
The BOEMRE approved the production safety system permit and a supplemental deep-water operating plan from Petrobras. The regulatory agency said it was satisfied that operations would be safe from hurricanes and other natural disasters.
"These regulatory approvals pave the way for safe, new production of oil and gas resources in the Gulf of Mexico," BOEMRE Director Michael R. Bromwich said in a statement.
Noble Energy in early March was awarded a BOEMRE permit to drill in the Mississippi Canyon block about 70 miles south of the Louisiana coast.
The permit was for what the BOEMRE described as a bypass well meant to drill around a mechanical problem in the original hole.
Deep-water exploration is under scrutiny following the April oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. The U.S. government lifted a moratorium on deep-water drilling in October, six months after the Deepwater Horizon oil rig caught fire and sank in the Gulf of Mexico.
(Excerpt) Read more at upi.com ...
Obama has had a hell of a week.
He’s given the GOP enough material to keep a Dem out of office in the W/H for 16 yrs...
Please read tagline....
drill baby drill...but only for brazil...
In our own waters...taking OUR NG....
Perfect precidence for lawsuit to open access for U.S. companies.
Except the administration will ignore the court orders...
It’s a socialist thing...you wouldnt understand...
Cronyism at its best....Barry pays Soros handsomely!
That’s the Chicago way!
Unfortunately I think the answer is “you wish.” ALL of TV loves Obama. Fox even covers for him with O Reilly and Beck making fund of birthers. F TV.
And not one word from any "Republican".
What’s next, permits for foreign oil companies to drill in Texas and Alaska?
Where is Forrest Taft (Steven Seagal) when you need him?
So far the House GOP “leadership” is a BIG JOKE!
How are we in debt. Countries owe us so much money.
This is some criminal.
The FPSO BW Pioneer, constructed in Singapore at the Keppel shipyard, measures 241 m long by 42 m wide.
The FPSO BW Pioneer is moored in 2,600 m of water to a disconnectable turret mooring system that will allow it to disconnect in case of severe weather and later reconnect and continue operations.
Petrobras' Cascade & Chinook inaugurate FPSO production in GOM
BW Pioneer is first of its kind in US, worlds deepest ever
The FPSO BW Pioneer, constructed in Singapore at the Keppel shipyard, measures 241 m (791 ft) long by 42 m (138 ft) wide. It is moored in 2,600 m (853 ft) of water to a disconnectable turret mooring system that will allow it to disconnect in case of severe weather and later reconnect and continue operations.
Petrobras is the operator of both units, with 100% ownership of Cascade and 66.67% of Chinook. Total E&P owns the remaining 33.33% of Chinook. Earlier this year, Petrobras exercised its rights to buy out former Cascade partner Devon Energy Corp., which previously held a 50% stake in the field.
The fields were developed using two subsea wells in Cascade and one subsea well in Chinook, approximately 30 km (18 mi) south of Cascade. Each well was drilled to an approximate depth of 27,000 ft (8,229 m), and based on reservoir performance, Petrobras may expand production to additional subsea wells on each field. Output from Cascade and Chinook is expected to reach 80,000 b/d, and is unlikely to exceed that amount until new drilling is allowed.
You mean like British Petroleum?
They are the largest oil producer in the US.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.