Electric cars reducing fossil fuel consumption is a ruse. These little electric toy cars have to be recharged very frequently. Unless the source of that electricity is provided by nuclear power or windmills, then it still requires fossil fuels to make them run.
But never let a “greenie” argument get in the way of the facts when you have an agenda to push.
Oops, it should read “But never let the FACTS get in the way of a greenie argument when you have an agenda to push”
The greenies can pay their utility a higher rate so "their" electricity (out of the same wires/substation their neighbors use) is "green". Don't ask; there is no logical answer; just the fact.
Wind is the third component of power produced by the cooperatives. Currently, approximately 80 percent of Black Hills Electric's electricity is generated by coal, the remaining 20 percent is hydropower generated by the Missouri River dams and wind power.
Modern wind power does cost more than power produced by coal or water. The extra cost of wind power is passed directly through to those members who take part in the Prairie WindsEnergy in Motion program. Green tag wind power costs the member an additional $0.80 for each 100 kilowatt-hour block purchased each month.
Green tag wind power is only sold in 100 kilowatt-hour blocks and members may purchase as many blocks as they want. Members purchasing green tag wind blocks must make a one-year commitment to purchase wind energy.
Black Hills Electric Cooperative members purchase more green tag wind power than any other cooperative in South Dakota.
Most, if not all, electric utilities have programs like this. Keeps my bill lower, while still fulfilling the federal mandates for generating more "green, alternative" electicity. At least this way, most of the added costs are passed on directly to the whackos who demanded those mandates in the first place.