He probably still is better than the alternative.
Let’s tally Assad’s disadvantages:
1) Ally of Iran
2) Technically at war with Israel
3) Massive support to Hezbollah
4) Lesser support to Hamas
5) Owns / destabilizes Lebanon
6) Kills people on a massive scale in Lebanon
7) Harbors many terrorist organizations
8) Helps Al Qaeda fighters infiltrate Iraq to kill Americans
9) Kills its own people massively, Hama then, and everywhere now
10) Stiffs every American Secretary of State who comes a callin’
So tell me again, who would come to power in Syria that would be worse?