Skip to comments.Muslim leaders say they were taken off Tennessee flight
Posted on 05/06/2011 10:34:25 PM PDT by The Magical Mischief Tour
NASHVILLE, Tenn. Two Muslim religious leaders say they were asked to leave a commercial airliner in Memphis on Friday and were told it was because the pilot refused to fly with them aboard.
Masudur Rahman, who is also an adjunct instructor of Arabic at the University of Memphis, said by phone from the terminal at Memphis International Airport that he and another imam had already been allowed to board their Delta Connection flight to Charlotte, N.C., before they were asked to get off the plane.
Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jon Allen in Atlanta confirmed the incident and said it was not initiated by that agency.
A Delta Air Lines spokeswoman said the flight was operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines, which is also based in Atlanta.
"We take security and safety very seriously and the event is currently under investigation," Atlantic Southeast spokesman Jarek Beem said Friday evening.
Both passengers are Memphis-area residents. Rahman said he was dressed in traditional Indian clothing and his traveling companion was dressed in Arab garb, including traditional headgear.
Rahman said he and Mohamed Zaghloul, of the Islamic Association of Greater Memphis, were cleared by security agents and boarded the plane for an 8:40 a.m. departure.
He said a Delta manager apologized for the pilot's actions, but that he and Zaghloul never spoke directly with the pilot.
Ibrahim Hooper, of the American-Islamic organization, said the group will follow up with the airline and with the TSA to help ensure such incidents do not continue to occur.
Hooper said airline officials at Memphis tried to resolve the situation, but the pilot refused.
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
You reap what you sow.
You know your right, if more people in the world would simply start shunning them en-mass it would have a profound effect.
As long as that same effect carried over into the juries who were seated to hear the inevitable law suits that would come from such acts.
Sounds about right.
In light of the killing of UBL and the direct threats made against America in retaliation for that death, you'd think it just might have occurred to these "religious leaders" - one a professor - to dress a little differently that day. A turban??? Really???
I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they were loudly chanting their “prayers.” The story is an AP rendering, so maybe there’s something in the non-excerpted parts. This was in-your-face, and all the parties involved know it.
Lucky for them they were still on the ground...
Why let them board in the first place? Muslims the world over are screaming for the death of America and the West because their devil Osama had been cut down by some very brave American warriors. If killing a murderous pig like bin Laden, who has killed thousands, including his fellow muslims, is considered to be 'evil' by these barbaric, bearded, bellicose boneheads, then why should any Westerner trust them? Especially on an airplane?
For now, at least, “Pilot in Command” means what it has, and always should.
This is terrible. I say that we owe them a free ticket to a tropical island for some water boarding sports to settle things up between us.
Haven't you heard? Trains are the new planes.
Well FAA FAR Part 121 rules are clear the PIC has the final say on the entire flight, if it goes and who flies.
This will be one case where the Unions will back the pilot all the way to the Supreme Court if it takes it.
Oh, come on. It’s only 70% of them who make the other 30% look bad.
Reads like a setup. They come to an airport deliberately in the most far out Muslim costumes they could find and I’m sure they were AllahAckbaring the whole time.
They were fishing for a lawsuit.
Tough Shi’ite..it was the will of “Allah:..
No sh*t? Does "Greater Memphis" know about this?
The Password is: Assimilation
Take your headgear, your language, your hatred of anything Christian or Jewish, and shove it, camel-breath. We Americans don't owe you anything- including a ride on our airplanes, dig?
If there is an acceptance problem you might want to look in the mirror. And, when people react en-mass toward a group with whom they have no personal knowledge you might want to work on the image thingy, sport.
It's 2011 Al Spoogeface, not 1411. Get with the times, quit beating your women, and try to invent something besides hate, will ya? You're becoming something of a human embarrassment and if you keep it up, a human virus. We can fix virus.
By the way, I'm drawing a picture of Muhommed right now, picking his desert, sand-filled nostril. Give me your fax number and I'll send you a copy.
Sincerely, Your friend, Flicka (Iflicka U. Off)