Skip to comments.Hispanics say they are being targeted at police checkpoints
Posted on 06/01/2011 9:41:39 PM PDT by moonshinner_09
DALTON, Ga. Of 32 traffic checkpoints conducted by Dalton police this year, most took place in predominantly Hispanic neighborhoods or at entrances to the citys carpet factories where many Hispanics are employed, records show.
The most frequent ticket issued at the checkpoints representing 22 percent of all tickets was for driving without a license, which can lead to deportation if the person is in the country illegally.
Some Hispanics in Dalton say police use the checkpoints as a way to target illegal immigrants. But police say preventing accidents and improving neighborhood safety are their goals, and neighborhood ethnicity has nothing to do with the checkpoints locations. Nearly half of Daltons population of 33,128 is Hispanic, figures show.
We dont use ethnicity as any criteria, Police Chief Jason Parker said Wednesday. Our goal is to provide the community of Dalton with a safer environment. We view the community in its entirety to implement our strategy to reduce the number of accidents. The numbers are simply a byproduct of that strategy.
Mayor David Pennington said the police department has not changed its strategy in recent years, and he noted the department is not responsible for Georgia immigration laws.
I understand there is some anxiety, he said. From the city of Daltons standpoint, the Latino population is almost half of Dalton and very important to us. If they have any concrete evidence [of targeting Hispanics], we would like to see that.
When half the population is Hispanic, it isn’t profiling...
iowamark, go ahead and delete this one, if you will please, thank you.
Salinas Police Sgt. Dana Cornelison disagrees.
“I don’t care if someone is Hispanic, White, Black, or Asian,” says Sgt. Cornelison. “If they are unlicensed. They are unlicensed.”
He said more than 50 percent of fatal accidents are caused by people who don’t have a proper license. He thinks the bill is a bad idea.
“The state of California has a duty to protect its citizens from people who don’t have the ability to drive a motor vehicle,” says Sgt. Cornelison.
If the Feds would do the job the taxpayers are paying them to do,...
Kinda like the Iraq/Iran war - you hope both sides lose.
I personally never drive without my license, or my CWP and don’t know anybody does. I mean, what the hell?
Secure the border with the military and this won’t be necesarry.
As well they should be targeted.
Phoebe Allen, the hummingbird, presently hatching her fifth clutch:
Mother cat hugs baby kitten (Absolutely adorable):
(Viral on YouTube, made it to Good Morning America)
Good, maybe my school tax will go down.
The thing is, Hispanics live all over Dalton so I don't see the problem. The map shown has checkpoints all over town. The Hispanics in Dalton got used to being the protected class when the carpet mill owners wanted their cheap labor. Now that the economy is down, they're not treated like the Golden Child anymore.
Yea, seems to me whites are the ones who should be complaining.
If we lived in a free country, you know, “This Land of Liberty”, you could drive without a drivers license, without a CWP, and carry your personal weapon of choice. But we don’t, and you cannot.
Are you serious.......right wing whites complain. Who would listen?
What 4th Amendment? To hell with it . I bet you dollars to donuts that some how, some way federal grant dollars are involved in the check points. Just to rub salt in the wound.
I can’t imagine why Hispanics are the only ones complaining about checkpoints. The Mayor, the individual cops, the City Councilmen, the city attorney, all should be jail. Last time I checked we have a constitution. If the courts don’t want to uphold the constitution, the citizens should. If we are backed into a corner with no remedy what is left?
LEO? Are you listening? You need “us”. You know in your hearts that what you are doing is wrong.
if you want to catch fish, you go to where the fish are.
And their point is?
No one would listen when we complained about the illegals in Dalton. It took the economy going south to get anything done.
I live on state hwy 52, Walnut Ave, on the map. A couple of mornings a week police run radar from the drive of my neighbors home. They only do it to the incoming traffic. People coming into Dalton to work. That must be how they're getting all those white people.
The home where the police run their radar has been empty for about a year now. It's owned by a Hispanic man who's brother, an illegal immigrant, and family lived there. I think there were some other illegal immigrants living in the back part of the house. A friend told me she counted the number of foreclosures in the Daily Citizen News paper. Of the seventy some odd foreclosures, 59 were Hispanics. With all the Hispanics walking away form their homes, we'll have abandoned houses on every corner. Thank you, Barney Frank, for your push to give poor people, even illegal immigrants, home loans they could not afford.
Good. We need more of that.
Police should not issue tickets for people violating the law and driving without a license? Beause they may be ILLEGAL aliens and get deported.
Next thing you will know is that they have pamper police on the parking lots at Walmart.
They will find that 65% of all soiled pampers on the parking lot belong to illegals. It’s easy to tell...they don’t know what a trash can is.
The liberals WANTED these checkpoints (for drunks)...interesting can of worms they opened.
As long as Hispanics don’t come out to support solid enforcement of immigration law, they are part of the problem. If there are no illegals that look like legals, there will be no problem.
“If we lived in a free country, you know, This Land of Liberty, you could drive without a drivers license, without a CWP, and carry your personal weapon of choice.”
Yep, I am all for freedom, but after the “free” guy shows up at an ER, after having been hammered in a car wreck by an equally free illegal alien, neither with a DL or other identity, then MR. Freeman can set in the back of the bus with the other dregs of society, just hoping that he will eventually be seen by someone, anyone, within an 8 hour shift.
Like they say, freedom isn’t free.
I am afraid you have not really thought this thing through. The illegal immigrant problem is a good example of how we do business in this country, and how the whole thing is designed to subvert the 4th Amendment. Consider:
1. Illegals are periodically granted immunity.
2. Illegals are given free health care.
3. Illegals are given free education.
4. Illegals are not prosecuted for document fraud.
5. Illegals are allowed to own property.
6. Illegals children are given citizenship.
7. Illegals are allowed to have jobs and pay taxes.
8. Employers are allowed to hire illegals as long as they make “a reasonable effort to determine that the person is who they say they are.” (See item number 4., illegals are not prosecuted for document fraud).
etc, etc, etc. Yet we periodically “crack down” on them. PLEASE! Does any of that make sense? So we collectively “turn our heads” to the enormous problem, then you use the issue of illegals to justify extra-constitutional means of dealing with the problem of Illegals? Does that make any sense at all?
So lets break this down one more time: We let illegals in by the millions. We give them special prerogatives not available to citizens. We let them earn a living, buy property, get free medical care. Then we set up extra constitutional road blocks that you defend in the name of “safety”. Sound about right?
It is exactly the same way we deal with traffic safety in this country.
1. We don't train anybody to drive a car. Instead, we train people to obey laws.
2. Because we don't train anybody how to operate a motor vehicle, We make lots and lots of laws. Tons of laws. No one person has ever read all the laws on the books. Gear the traffic laws to the assumption that nobody knows how to drive a car.
3. Erect signs. Lots of directive signs. So many signs that they take the place of common sense. Quit looking at the road, do as your trained, look at the signs. You don't know how to drive anyway.
4. Hire millions of Union Thugs, with cheap hair cuts, bad ass sunglasses and wide discretionary powers to enforce lots and lots of laws. Set up thousands of courts, spend millions of dollars hiring judges. Make a mockery out of probable cause. All because nobody knows how to operate a motor vehicle. Just the way we like it: Ignorant and oppressed, and thanking the government for it's many armed protectors and courts.
This whole exercise, from the illegal issue to the traffic issue is a purposeful effort to subvert the 4th amendment. The idea is to create a crises, then provide a remedy that destroys a fundamental natural law: Freedom from unreasonable search and seizure. Making sure we are NOT secure in our persons and property. You are buying that weak game HOOK LINE and SINKER!
Oh, I didn’t even address the 2nd Amendment.
You are willing to give up the second amendment, and the 4th amendment to remedy a false crises created by the government.
Don’t be so easily duped. These guys Texas Politicians, are quite happy to get you ginned up on the illegal issue, then use the issue to destroy the constitution. Don’t buy in.
1. Fed.Gov asked for and received extreme LE tools like no knock warrants, tactical teams for every pea dick local pd department in America armed and outfitted to a degree that our soldiers and marines knocking down doors in Iraq didn't even come close to having, which we were told was only going to be used against "The dangerous high level smuggling and distribution networks run by by criminal syndicates, not against your average pot dealer."
2. Slowly but surely, the high level drug network in America, run by different groups in different regions of the country, when dope came in all points all over the country, and operated independant of one another, was taken down and quickly replaced with the more organized, more professional, more dangerous, Latino network which efficiently transports EVERY single bit of cocaine and Ice across the wide open border and distributes it nationwide with no interruption in the 20+ years since.
3. While the above nationwide Latino syndicate functions every day in America, staffed by the "Dangerous Criminal element in nationwide organized drug rings" unmolested by LE, the no knock warrants and delta force outiftted tactical teams are used used in chickenshit raids against Americans for reasons that come nowhere near meeting the need of that level of force, often ending tragically like the marine in Arizona.
4. While the local drug units, tactical entry units, and the millions of dollars worth of expensive toys have been used to fill American jails and probation rolls with low rent, low rung, two bit drug hustlers that have never been convicted of a violent crime, while our rights have been pissed on over the WOD....the Latino syndicate that runs the nationwide drug distribution runs like a clock untouched.
Hmmm...almost like it was planned that way.
Government, although made up of well meaning people (I like to think so), is an entity unto itself. It is a self feeding organism. Government exists to empower itself.
The founders knew that people and government were fundamentally evil. So they tried to castrate it. They used enumerated powers. They said the Government can only do this short list of things.
We have spent 230 years dismantling enumerated powers. Look how quick TXdal was to give up the 4th and the 2nd. All that had to happen was he had to feel “unsafe”.
I wonder if the patriots at Concord and Lexington felt “unsafe”? Concord and Lexington was all about the 2nd Amendment and the 4th Amendment. The King came to get the guns. The citizens objected. They didn’t want the King taking their guns, and they didn’t want the king searching for their guns. So they shot back. 4th and 2nd.
Great post. Very well said!