Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Syrian Soldiers Massacre 120 in Own Ranks
Baltimore Jewish Life ^ | 6/6/11 | Chana Ya'ar

Posted on 06/06/2011 2:22:27 PM PDT by Nachum

Syrian soldiers are killing other Syrian soldiers in the northern part of the country, according to a source who spoke with Israel National News Monday night on condition of anonymity. The source said the soldiers being massacred were being pursued by their fellow security officers because they had broken ranks and tried to escape to Turkey.

"These are the soldiers who were seeking asylum across the border," the source said. "They were running away, and so the other soldiers surrounded them and slaughtered them."

Syrian state television reported Monday that 120 security officers have been slaughtered in the town of Jisr al-Shughour by "armed groups." According to the BBC, the report said government forces were sent to the town in response to calls for help from residents, and they died in an ambush. Other reports added the soldiers were surrounded by a large group of men armed with machine guns and they died almost instantly when the group opened fire.

International media have been banned from the area and thus it is extremely difficult to confirm any report or to verify any information broadcast on state-run media.

(Excerpt) Read more at baltimorejewishlife.com ...


TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: crickets; massacre; ranks; soldiers; syrian

1 posted on 06/06/2011 2:22:30 PM PDT by Nachum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Nachum

That’ll help unit cohesion.


2 posted on 06/06/2011 2:24:59 PM PDT by Steely Tom (Obama goes on long after the thrill of Obama is gone)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Steely Tom
That’ll help unit cohesion.

Decimation didn't work out in the long run for the Romans.

For those who don't know, decimation as practiced by them was reducing the ranks by 10% to motivate the remaining 90%. Most--myself included until recently--think that decimation meant reducing by 90%--i.e., moving the decimal point one place to the left.

3 posted on 06/06/2011 2:30:32 PM PDT by Pearls Before Swine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Nachum

Can’t wait to hear how upset the Russians that complained about Israel shooting rioters are about this.


4 posted on 06/06/2011 2:32:27 PM PDT by Venturer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Venturer

Coming here to the USA this year. Google Project 60, the sale of Idaho. Saw an article in a Boise online article.


5 posted on 06/06/2011 3:12:30 PM PDT by DownInFlames
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Pearls Before Swine

Didnt they line the men up of a particular unit that had lost a battle, and randomly pic one guy and count to ten, then repeat and every tenth guy was killed. At least thats how I heard the Romans did it. Thats where the term “decimation” came from?


6 posted on 06/06/2011 3:21:15 PM PDT by Husker24
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Husker24

Yes


7 posted on 06/06/2011 3:24:50 PM PDT by Pearls Before Swine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Venturer

I can hear those crickets. A few canines might be able to hear them as well.


8 posted on 06/06/2011 3:44:12 PM PDT by allmost
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Husker24

The term is also applied in 20th century infantry assaults. As a rule of thumb, the defense has a 3:1 margin over an attacking force and if 10% of either side are killed on the initial assault, the battle is a route.


9 posted on 06/06/2011 4:22:10 PM PDT by Cvengr (Adversity in life and death is inevitable. Thru faith in Christ, stress is optional.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson