Skip to comments.McCarthy, Emanuel outline police response and criticize media (Chicago wilding)
Posted on 06/09/2011 5:08:41 AM PDT by abb
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and newly confirmed police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Wednesday that they're adding a "marginal" number of officers to the Near North Side to combat a spate of violence, even as they questioned the media's coverage of the attacks.
McCarthy cautioned reporters about characterizing crimes correctly, pointing to the differences between shoplifting, robbery and criminal mischief. And the mayor suggested journalists be more judicious in using the term "flash mob."
"We have to be sensitive to what it conjures up," Emanuel said.
But the administration has played a role in creating the ongoing frenzy. Authorities slapped a mob action charge on some of the youths arrested in the attacks. And McCarthy has pushed "flash mob" into the Chicago crime vernacular since he arrived in May.
Still, the quick series of attacks in affluent areas previously considered safe has created a cycle where rising media attention fuels public fears and each new incident is viewed through that prism.
For example, on Tuesday evening, two teens were mugged in the downtown area, and some news outlets quoted witnesses and sources saying another mob attack had occurred.
Interviews with police and the victims show that the incident appeared to be a mugging that escalated when teens who were robbed chased the suspects, pushed one of them, and then got attacked themselves, according to one of the teen's accounts.
The 16-year-old victim and his 19-year-old friend, both from southwest suburban Justice, were walking through a tunnel from Oak Street Beach as a group of six to 10 people surrounded them on North Michigan Avenue, according to authorities and one of the victims. The 16-year-old asked one person from the group if he could buy a cigarette from him.
(Excerpt) Read more at chicagotribune.com ...
I'm surprised he didn't suggest that in the future, his office write the articles for them. Hey Rahm, it's the FREE press and you and your commie friends need to stop the propaganda BS. That's what helped society decline to its present state; you and the media provide cover for a certain segment of the population, no matter WHAT they do. People need to be made to feel the scorn of their peers.
Really? Why is that?
Flash mobs or flash thugs have plagued South Side
Mob attacks pose first challenge for Rahm, McCarthy
McCarthy Commits Undercovers to Downtown Attacks
So a white victim allegedly "pushed" a thug so the victim deserved a beating?
In other words, muggings are okay. If you push back you'll get what you deserve.
How to explain the two elderly oncology docs who were beaten? They chased the flash mob? I don't think so.
JUNE 9, 2011, 2:00 P.M. ET
Chicago Police Brace for ‘Flash Mob’ Attacks
By JULIE JARGON And ILAN BRAT
CHICAGOPolice here are girding for another weekend of “flash mob” attacks after arresting 29 people in connection with a recent rash of assaults and robberies in and around the city’s tony shopping and dining district.
Twelve crimes involving large groups of young men were reported last weekend, in addition to others earlier this spring. The incidents are some of the first major problems confronting newly appointed Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.
The attacks have received wide attention in Chicago because they have occurred around the city’s affluent north side, including near the “Magnificent Mile,” a Michigan Avenue strip popular with tourists.
Mob Attack Reported Near Red Line
By Lisa Balde
Thursday, Jun 9, 2011 | Updated 12:40 PM CDT
A man was mugged Thursday morning in the area that new Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said he’s already targeting for mob attacks.
A 35-year-old man was leaving the Chicago Red Line station on his way to work when five people punched him and took his iPod and cash, Chicago police said.
A woman in the group grabbed his iPad, he told police, and when he tried to get it back, a man punched him in the face. Members of the group are estimated to be between 15 and 25 years old.
On Wednesday, another man was assaulted and robbed of his iPhone and wallet aboard a CTA Brown Line train. The incident occurred near the Chicago and Franklin station, according to witnesses.
Mob Attack Reported In Red Line Subway
June 9, 2011 11:20 AM
UPDATED 06/09/11 12:55 p.m.
CHICAGO (CBS) Another mob attack has been reported on a CTA train, this time in the Red Line subway in the wee hours Thursday morning.
A 35-year-old Evanston man was on his way to work on a Red Line train at the Chicago Avenue stop around 4:30 a.m., when five suspects attacked him, police said.
One of the suspects, a female, took the mans iPod and when he tried to grab it back from her, he was blocked by other suspects and then punched in the mouth, police News Affairs Officer Laura Kubiak said. Cash was also taken from the victim, who was bruised but was not taken to a hospital.
The suspects are four males and a female, all between the ages of 15 and 25, Kubiak said.
The victim told police he saw the suspects harassing other people on the train, according to the officer, who said the suspects fled and were not in custody as of 11 a.m.
It was not immediately known if this incident was connected to any other similar robberies in the same area, including the similar incident on the Brown Line Wednesday near the Chicago Avenue/Franklin Street stop. One victim was hospitalized in that attack, in which a wallet and an iPhone were taken.