Skip to comments.C-130 Rick Perry: He flew the world before politics
Posted on 06/27/2011 6:53:43 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
Rank: Retired as a captain
Crew job: C-130 aircraft commander
Served in the Air Force: 1972 to 1977
Dyess AFB tour: March 4, 1974, to Feb. 28, 1977
His story: Way back before he was governor of Texas, Rick Perry had two choices as a young member of the Air Force.
He could either follow his dream and work toward becoming an instructor pilot in the sleek T-38, or he could fly the hulking C-130, planes that affectionately were referred to as "trash haulers" by Perry and his cohorts.
"It was one of the great adventures of my life," Perry said. "I had a fairly pedestrian life until I was 23 years old."
Perry could count on one hand the number of trips he had taken out of his home state by the time he graduated from Texas A&M University, but everything changed when he joined the Air Force.
Flying C-130s, Perry lived in Germany and Saudi Arabia. He flew in Central and South America, North Africa and all over Europe.
"I saw all of these different types of governments and I made the connections to how the people acted and looked, and it became abundantly clear to me that, at that particular point in time, that America was this very unique place and that our form of democracy was very rare," Perry said. " ... That was the greatest gift I received from my years of being in the military, and they really shaped my outlook on the rest of my life."
Perry retired from the Air Force in 1977 but not without one last adventure.....
(Excerpt) Read more at reporternews.com ...
With all the photoshopping geniuses on FR you think they would have gotten the colors right.
That is a absolute given. The media will hog tie Perry to Bush. "Bush's Lieutenant Governor Rick Perry.", "Bushs under study Rick Perry", "Bush's hand picked man, Rick Perry","After Bush is the country ready for another Texan President?"
By the time the media is done you will think Bush is running again. I will support Perry but yall better be ready for the slime machine to paint Perry another Bush. Because I guarantee they will.
Remember when we were young and fit!
A nice looking West Texas boy a couple of years away from graduation.
19-year-old Rick Perry 1969 TX A&M Yearbook, Aggieland --- (Barack Obama was 8 years old)
Perry attended Texas A&M University, where he was a member of the Corps of Cadets, a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity and one of A&M's five yell leaders (a popular Texas A&M tradition analogous to male cheerleaders). He interned with the Southwestern Company during the summer time as a door-to-door book salesman where he honed his communication skills. Perry graduated in 1972 with a degree in animal science. While at Texas A&M University Perry successfully completed a static line parachute jump at Ags Over Texas (a United States Parachute Association dropzone), the dropzone that was then in operation at Coulter Field (KCFD) in Bryan, Texas, just north of Texas A&M (in College Station, Texas).
Upon graduation, he was commissioned in the United States Air Force, completed pilot training and flew C-130 tactical airlift in the United States, the Middle East, and Europe until 1977. He left the Air Force with the rank of captain, returned to Texas and went into business farming cotton with his father.
In 1982, Perry married Anita Thigpen, his childhood sweetheart whom he had known since elementary school. They have two children, Griffin and Sydney. Source
With all the photoshopping geniuses on FR you think they would have gotten the colors right.
This is from a newspaper source and I’m sure it was colorized either by them or the family at some point.
Just to be fair, Bush was trained on and flew a supersonic interceptor that was one of the most dangerous and difficult to fly that we’ve ever had in our arsenal. A “Widow Maker” F-102. And he volunteered to go active service in Viet Nam and was turned down as the aircraft he was qualified on had no role to play in anything much short of a Soviet nuclear bomber attack (the kind that was anticipated coming from airfields in Cuba and directed at the cities of Texas and the Gulf coast). In comparison, Perry piloted a big, lumbering four engine transport. Not to disparage Perry’s service at all, but I hate to see someone swallow Dan Rather’s crap that Bush’s was not a genuine pilot and somehow did not serve.
Let an event such as 9/11 happen to the current administration and let’s see how well they handle it. I have always said Bush will be recorded as an above average President in the years to come.
>If we re-elect the current commie-in-chief, America will disappear and there will never be another chance to have such a wonderful place again.<
I’m afraid that we crossed the point of no return long before 0 started taking regular dumps in the White Hut.
When ever I try to defend conservative values I get Bush throw in my face. That man did more damage to US conservatism then anyone I know since Nixon.
You already tried your safe job BS, and now you want to go through the whole discredited Dan Rather trip again, since you have been here since 1999, why don't you just direct us to the many threads where you have already proven Dan Rather's claims true ?
We might have a chance if that were the case.
This is going to be a very interesting Election season. If Palin jumps in, heads will explode. LOL
Sorry, old eyes just missed the fine print. I’ve had my “fine print reader” disconnected due to disgust with reading legal disclaimers on products ranging from software to ladders to microwave foods.
If Palin jumps in, heads will explode. LOL
I think the reverse will also be true. jmo.
Perry graduated Texas A&M in 1972 with a degree in animal science.>>>>>>
A big plus for me! I hate and despise all lawyers in Gov’t. They are the problem. Get them out. Never vote for a lawyer....with some rare exceptions
Rick Perry has a degree in ag science for livestock. A real world degree. Not a crap weasel politician with a degree in law or government of public policy. Not some ex-teacher now in politics and there are plenty of that type!
I really had fun flying on an AF C-130 as a passenger while in the Seabees. Those AF pilots were cool. Would let us go up to the cockpit and shoot the bull. What a view!
You have that right. They're already groomed with the right kind of "thinking" and more than likely have been a delegate to the DNC on more than one occasion.
Abortion & Traditional Values
1. Banned Partial Birth Abortion by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
2. Reversed Clintons move to strike Reagans anti-abortion Mexico Policy.
3. By Executive Order (EO), reversed Clintons policy of not requiring parental consent for abortions under the Medical Privacy Act.
4. By EO, prohibited federal funds for international family planning groups that provide abortions and related services.
5. Upheld the ban on abortions at military hospitals.
6. Made $33 million available for abstinence education programs in 2004.
7. Supports the Defense of Marriage Act and a Constitutional amendment saying marriage is between one man and one woman.
8. Requires states to conduct criminal background checks on prospective foster and adoptive parents.
9. Requires districts to let students transfer out of dangerous schools.
10. Requires schools to have a zero-tolerance policy for classroom disruption (reintroducing discipline into classrooms).
11. Signed the Teacher Protection Act, which protects teachers from lawsuits related to student discipline.
12. Expanded the role of faith-based and community organizations in after-school programs.
Budget, Taxes & Economy
1. Signed two income tax cuts, one of which was the largest dollar-value tax cut in world history.
2. Supports permanent elimination of the death tax.
3. Turned around an inherited economy that was in recession, and deeply shocked as a result of the 9/11 attacks.
4. Is seeking legislation to amend the Constitution to give the president line-item veto authority.
5. In process of permanently eliminating IRS marriage penalty.
6. Increased small business incentives to expand and to hire new people.
7. Initiated discussion on privatizing Social Security and individual investment accounts.
8. Killed Clintons ergonomic rules that OSHA was about to implement; rules would have shut down every home business in America.
9. Passed tough new laws to hold corporate criminals to account as a result of corporate scandals.
10. Reduced taxes on dividends and capital gains.
11. Signed trade promotion authority.
12. Reduced and is working to ultimately eliminate the estate tax for family farms and ranches.
13. Fight Europes ban on importing biotech crops from the United States.
14. Exempt food from unilateral trade sanctions and embargoes.
15. Provided $20 million to states to help people with disabilities work from home.
16. Created a fund to encourage technologies that help the disabled.
17. Increased the annual contribution limit on Education IRAs from $500 to $2,000 per child.
18. Make permanent the $5,000 adoption tax credit and provide $1 billion over five years to increase the credit to $10,000.
19. Grant a complete tax exemption for prepaid or college tuition savings plans.
20. Reduced H1B visas from a high of 195,000 per year to 66,000 per year.
Character & Conduct as President
1. Changed the tone in the White House, restoring HONOR and DIGNITY to the presidency.
2. Has reintroduced the mention of God and faith into public discourse.
3. Handled himself with enormous courage, dignity, grace, determination, and leadership in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 hijackings and anthrax attacks. He almost single-handedly held this country together during those searing days:
* Just three days after the attacks, in his address at the National Cathedral, the President reassured the nation when he said: War has been waged against us by stealth and deceit and murder. This nation is peaceful, but fierce when stirred to anger. This conflict was begun on the timing and terms of others. It will end in a way, and at an hour, of our choosing.
* On Friday, September 14, 2001, President Bush visited Ground Zero. Standing on a crushed and burned fire engine atop the smoldering pile at Ground Zero, he put his arm around a retired firefighter who had volunteered to help, and began speaking to the crowd. Rescue workers shouted that they could not hear him. Someone handed him a small American flag and bullhorn. The President spontaneously shouted: I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon. The crowd roared with cheers and chants of USA! USA! USA! Then he raised that American flag and rallied a nation:
Education & Employment Training
1. Signed the No Child Left Behind Act, delivering the most dramatic education reforms in a generation (challenging the soft bigotry of low expectations). The very liberal California Teachers union is currently running radio ads against the accountability provisions of this Act.
2. Announced Jobs for the 21st Century, a comprehensive plan to better prepare workers for jobs in the new millennium by strengthening post-secondary education and job training, and by improving high school education.
3. Is working to provide vouchers to low-income students in persistently failing schools to help with costs of attending private schools. (Blocked in the Senate.)
4. Requires annual reading and math tests in grades three through eight.
5. Requires states to participate in the National Assessment of Education Progress, or an equivalent program, to establish a national benchmark for academic performance.
6. Requires school-by-school accountability report cards.
7. Established a $2.4 billion fund to help states implement teacher accountability systems.
8. Increased funding for the Troops-to-Teachers program, which recruits former military personnel to to become teachers.
Environment & Energy
1. Killed the Kyoto Global Warming Treaty.
2. Submitted a comprehensive Energy Plan (awaits Congressional action). The plan works to develop cleaner technology, produce more natural gas here at home, make America less dependent on foreign sources of energy, improve national grid, etc.
3. Established a $10 million grant program to promote private conservation initiatives.
4. Significantly eased field-testing controls of genetically engineered crops.
5. Changed parts of the Forestry Management Act to allow necessary cleanup of the national forests in order to reduce fire danger.
6. Part of national forests cleanup: Restricted judicial challenges (based on the Endangered Species Act and other challenges), and removed the need for an Environmental Impact Statement before removing fuels/logging to reduce fire danger.
7. Killed Clintons CO2 rules that were choking off all of the electricity surplus to California.
8. Provided matching grants for state programs that help private landowners protect rare species.
Defense & Foreign Policy
1. Successfully executed two wars in the aftermath of 9/11/01: Afghanistan and Iraq. 50 million people who had lived under tyrannical regimes now live in freedom.
2. Saddam Hussein is now in prison. His two murderous sons are dead. All but a handful of the regimes senior members were killed or captured.
3. Leader by leader and member by member, al Qaida is being hunted down in dozens of countries around the world. Of the senior al Qaida leaders, operational managers, and key facilitators the U.S. Government has been tracking, nearly two-thirds have been taken into custody or killed. The detentions or deaths of senior al Qaida leaders, including Khalid Shaykh Muhammad, the mastermind of 9/11, and Muhammad Atef, Osama bin Ladens second-in-command until his death in late 2001, have been important in the War on Terror.
4. Disarmed Libya of its chemical, nuclear and biological WMDs without bribes or bloodshed.
5. Continues to execute the War On Terror, getting worldwide cooperation to track funds/terrorists. Has cut off much of the terrorists funding, and captured or killed many key leaders of the al Qaeda network.
6. Initiated a comprehensive review of our military, which was completed just prior to 9/11/01, and which accurately reported that ASYMMETRICAL WARFARE capabilities were critical in the 21st Century.
7. Killed the old US/Soviet Union ABM Treaty that was preventing the U.S. from deploying our ABM defenses.
8. Has been one of the strongest, if not THE strongest friend Israel has ever hand in the U.S. presidency.
9. Part of the coalition for an Israeli/Palestinian Roadmap to Peace, along with Great Britain, Russia and the EU.
10. Pushed through THREE raises for our military. Increased military pay by more than $1 billion a year.
11. Signed the LARGEST nuclear arms reduction in world history with Russia.
12. Started withdrawing our troops from Bosnia, and has announced withdrawal of our troops from Germany and the Korean DMZ.
13. Prohibited putting U.S. troops under U.N. command.
14. Paid back UN dues only in return for reforms and reduction of U.S. share of the costs.
15. Earmarked at least 20 percent of the Defense procurement budget for next-generation weaponry.
16. Increased defense research and development spending by at least $20 billion from fiscal 2002 to 2006.
17. Ordered a comprehensive review of military weapons and strategy.
18. Ordered a review of overseas deployments.
19. Ordered renovation of military housing. The military has already upgraded about 10 percent of its inventory and expects to modernize 76,000 additional homes this year.
20. Is working to tighten restrictions on military-technology exports.
21. Brought back our EP-3 intel plane and crew from China without any bribes or bloodshed.
Globalization & Internationalism
1. Challenged the United Nations to live up to their responsibilities and not become another League of Nations (in other words, showed the UN to be completely irrelevant).
2. Killed U.S. involvement in the International Criminal Court.
3. Told the United Nations we werent interested in their plans for gun control (i.e., the International Ban on Small Arms Trafficking Treaty).*
4. The only President since the founding of the UN to essentially tell that organization it is irrelevant. He said: The conduct of the Iraqi regime is a threat to the authority of the United Nations, and a threat to peace. Iraq has answered a decade of UN demands with a decade of defiance. All the world now faces a test, and the United Nations a difficult and defining moment. Are Security Council resolutions to be honored and enforced, or cast aside without consequence? Will the United Nations serve the purpose of its founding, or will it be irrelevant? We all know the outcome and the answer.
5. Told the Congress and the world, America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our country.
1. Improved government efficiency by putting hundreds of thousands of jobs put up for bid. This weakens public-sector unions and cuts undeserved pay raises.
2. Initiated review of all federal agencies with the goal of eliminating federal jobs (completed September 2003) in an effort to reduce the size of the federal government while increasing private sector jobs.
3. Led the most extensive reorganization the Federal bureaucracy in over 50 years: After 9/11, condensed 20+ overlapping agencies and their intelligence sectors into one agency, the Department of Homeland Security.*
4. Ordered each agency to draft a five-year plan to restructure itself, with fewer managers.
5. Converted federal service contracts to performance-based contracts wherever possible so that the contractor has measurable performance goals.
1. Strengthen the National Health Service Corps to put more physicians in the neediest areas, and make its scholarship funds tax-free.
2. Double the research budget of the National Institutes of Health.
3. Signed Medicare Reform, which includes:
* A 10-year privatization option.
* Prescription drug benefits: Prior to this reform, Medicare paid for extended hospital stays for ulcer surgery, for example, at a cost of about $28,000 per patient. Yet Medicare would not pay for the drugs that eliminate the cause of most ulcers, drugs that cost about $500 a year. Now, drug coverage under Medicare will allow seniors to replace more expensive surgeries and hospitalizations with less expensive prescription medicine.
* More health care choices: As President Bush stated, when seniors have the ability to make choices, health care plans within Medicare will have to compete for their business by offering higher quality service [at lower cost]. For the seniors of America, more choices and more control will mean better health care. These are the kinds of health care options we give to the members of Congress and federal employees. Whats good for members of Congress is also good for seniors.
* New Health Savings Accounts: Effective January 1, 2004, Americans can set aside up to $4,500 every year, tax free, to save for medical expenses. Depending on your tax bracket, that means youll save between 10 to 35 percent on any costs covered by money in your account. Every year, the money not spent would stay in the account and gain interest tax-free, just like an IRA. These accounts will be good for small business owners, and employees. More businesses can focus on covering workers for major medical problems, such as hospitalization for an injury or illness. At the same time, employees and their families will use these accounts to cover doctors visits, or lab tests, or other smaller costs. Some employers will contribute to employee health accounts. This will help more American families get the health care they need at the price they can afford.
Homeland Security, Border Enforcement & Immigration
1. *See Government Reform above. Under President Bushs leadership, America has made an unprecedented commitment to homeland security.
2. Has CONSTRUCTION in process on the first 10 ABM silos in Alaska so that America will have a defense against North Korean nukes. Has ordered national and theater ballistic missile defenses to be deployed by 2004.
3. Announced a 9.7% increase in government-wide homeland security funding in his FY 2005 budget, nearly tripling the FY 2001 levels (excluding the Department of Defense and Project BioShield).
4. Before DHS was created, there were inspectors from three different agencies of the Federal Government and Border Patrol officers protecting our borders. Through DHS, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) now consolidates all border activities into a single agency to create one face at the border. This not only better secures the borders of the United States, but it also eliminates many of the inefficiencies that occurred under the old system. With over 18,000 CBP inspectors and 11,000 Border Patrol agents, CBP has 29,000 uniformed officers on our borders.
5. The Border Patrol is continuing installation of monitoring devices along the borders to detect illegal activity.
6. Launched Operation Tarmac to investigate businesses and workers in the secure areas of domestic airports and ensure immigration law compliance. Since 9/11, DHS has audited 3,640 businesses, examined 259,037 employee records, arrested 1,030 unauthorized workers, and participated in the criminal indictment of 774 individuals.
7. Since September 11, 2001, the Coast Guard has conducted more than 124,000 port security patrols, 13,000 air patrols, boarded more than 92,000 vessels, interdicted over 14,000 individuals attempting to enter the United States illegally, and created and maintained more than 90 Maritime Security Zones.
8. Announced the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), an internet-based system that is improving Americas ability to track and monitor foreign students and exchange visitors. Over 870,000 students are registered in SEVIS. Of 285 completed field investigations, 71 aliens were arrested.
9. This week, the US-VISIT program began to digitally collect biometric identifiers to record the entry and exit of aliens who travel into the U.S on a visa. Together with the standard information, this new program will confirm compliance with visa and immigration policies.
10. Eliminated INS bureaucratic redundancies and lack of accountability.
11. Split the Immigration and Naturalization Service into two agencies: one to protect the border and interior, the other to deal with naturalization.
12. Signed the workplace verification bill to prevent hiring of illegal aliens.
13. Established a six-month deadline for processing immigration applications.
14. Information regarding nearly 100% of all containerized cargo is carefully screened by DHS before it arrives in the United States. Higher risk shipments are physically inspected for terrorist weapons and contraband prior to being released from the port of entry. Advanced technologies are being deployed to identify warning signs of chemical, biological, or radiological attacks. Since September 11, 2001, hundreds of thousands of first responders across America have been trained to recognize and respond to the effects of a WMD attack.
Judiciary & Tort Reform
1. Is urging federal liability reform to eliminate frivolous lawsuits.
2. Killed the liberal ABAs unconstitutional role in vetting federal judges. The Senate is supposed to advise and consent, not the ABA.
3. Is nominating strong, conservative judges to the judiciary.
4. Supports class action reform bill which limits lawyer fees so that more settlement money goes to victims.
1. His leadership resulted in Republican gains in the House and Senate, solidifying Republican control of both houses of Congress and the presidency.
2. Signed an EO enforcing the Supreme Courts Beck decision regarding union dues being used for political campaigns against individuals wishes.
1. Ordered Attorney General Ashcroft to formally notify the Supreme Court that the OFFICIAL U.S. government position on the 2nd Amendment is that it supports INDIVIDUAL rights to own firearms, and is NOT a Leftist-imagined collective right.
2. Signed TWO bills into law that arm our pilots with handguns in the cockpit.
3. Currently pushing for full immunity from lawsuits for our national gun manufacturers.
4. *See Globalization & Internationalism.
Traditional Values, Compassion & Volunteerism
1. Endorses and promotes The Responsibility Era. President Bush often speaks of the necessity of personal responsibility and civic volunteerism. He said, In a compassionate society, people respect one another and take responsibility for the decisions they make in life. My hope is to change the culture from one that has said, if it feels good, do it; if youve got a problem, blame somebody else to one in which every single American understands that he or she is responsible for the decisions that you make; youre responsible for loving your children with all your heart and all your soul; youre responsible for being involved with the quality of the education of your children; youre responsible for making sure the community in which you live is safe; youre responsible for loving your neighbor, just like you would like to be loved yourself.
2. Started the USA Freedom Corps, the most comprehensive clearinghouse of volunteer opportunities ever offered. For the first time in history, Americans can enter geographic information about where they want to get involved, such as state or zip code, as well as areas of interest ranging from education to the environment, and they can access volunteer opportunities offered by more than 50,000 organizations across the country and around the world.
3. Established the The White House Office and the Centers for the Faith-Based and Community Initiative located in seven Federal agencies. The faith-based initiative supports the essential work of these important organizations. The goal is to make sure that grassroots leaders can compete on an equal footing for federal dollars, receive greater private support, and face fewer bureaucratic barriers. Work focuses on at-risk youth, ex-offenders, the homeless and hungry, substance abusers, those with HIV/AIDS, and welfare-to-work families.
4. The White House released a guidebook fully describing the Administrations belief that faith-based groups have a Constitutionally-protected right to maintain their religious identity through hiring even when Federal funds are involved.
5. Issued an EO implementing the Supreme Courts Olmstead ruling, which requires moving disabled people from institutions to community-based facilities when possible.
6. Increased funding for low-interest loan programs to help people with disabilities purchase devices to assist them.
7. Revised the Department of Housing and Urban Developments Section 8 rent subsidies to disabled people, permitting them to use up to a years worth of vouchers to finance down payments on homes. HUD has started pilot programs in 11 states.
8. Committed US funds to purchase medicine for millions of men, women and children now suffering with AIDS in Africa.
9. Heeding the words of our own Declaration of Independence, the president laid out the non-negotiable demands of human dignity for all people everywhere. On January 29, 2002, he said, No nation owns these aspirations, and no nation is exempt from them. We have no intention of imposing our culture. But America will always stand firm for the non-negotiable demands of human dignity. As stated by the President, they are a virtual manifesto of conservative principles:
* Equal Justice
* Freedom of Speech
* Limited Government Power
* Private Property Rights
* Religious Tolerance
* Respect for Women
* Rule of Law
Yeah, it was. Mike left a wife and at least one child. We were in the same platoon at The Basic School and “due to the water”, 6 of our wives all had kids in the same month after we got to Flight School. :-)
The Twilight Zone end of the story happened years later on a visit to Washington, DC. I took my wife to see The Wall. A POW/MIA group was handing out literature and selling the Bracelet. I stopped to buy a Bracelet. The first one I picked up was for “1stLt Mike Shea, USMC. MIA”.
Naturally, that was the one I bought.
Well, no offense but you are a fool if you allow people to make you ashamed of Bush.
I hate people who post long screeds on every thread but I’m tempted to do it, as I just did, when people criticize Bush.
I’ve posted the good things.
What do you think are the bad things ... and don’t just say he was the worst blah, blah, blah.
Lol, yes they will! But I am hoping she does, if not her then Perry but I would much rather it be Sarah. Sarah has a few advantages over Perry, first she is completely vetted and squeaky clean. Perry may be clean (I think he is) but he's not been vetted. Second Sarah has most conservatives and all tea party folks 100% behind her and totally motivated to see her elected. Third the Marxists and their hoes in the media will completely over play their hand in attacking Sarah giving her the benefit of a black lash. Forth Sarah has a record of taking on GOP and Rat corruption and reforming government. The only thing the media can throw at Sarah is "she's stupid", not true, and "she's a quitter" again not true. If Sarah can make Obama the issue, she wins, if the media can make Sarah the issue she still might win.
let’s just agree to disagree shall we? I see you are a Palin supporter and so am I. I much rather talk that :)
He's had some real anal exams from the LIBERALS here in TX and even some from "our side" who wanted Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison to parachute back home into the Gov. mansion.
Of course the MSM and the blogosphere and all the opposition dirt digging and truth twisting will follow, as it always does.
That said, the Rats run the risk of "buyers remorse", could be that a lot of swing voters think Bush was better then Obama or that a better Bush (Perry) might just be a lot better then Obama. It's a calculation that is over my pay grade, but for sure Perry will be painted as another Bush, you decide if that would be fatal to Perry. Clearly Jeb Bush has decided it's fatal in 2012.
What a load of crap.
Thanks for sharing this! I knew Perry had been a pilot, but I wasn’t aware of the details. This adds to my overall positive impression of the man. I hope he gets in to the race, he will improve the quality of the field.
Bush’s lack of defense of the border agents, and the flying in of the drug dealer from Mexico to help prosecute them sickened me. As well, his refusal to pardon the honorable Scooter Libby, who shouldn’t have been allowed to twist in the wind in the first place. The Haditha 8, the Duke Lacrosse soccer players. Bush was an abomination, who demoralized conservatives to the point that the Punk was elected.
And Perry today can’t hold a candle to Sarah Palin on the issues. His support for International Planned Parenthood is NOT the mark of a pro-life conservative. Bob
Me, too. Blowing virtual kiss because of Sarah.!
...At the United for Life event at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles on Sunday, Perry received a standing ovations following his remarks, during which he said Every life is precious.
He hit Obama for overturning the Mexico City Policy during his first week in office. Thats a policy that prevents taxpayers from funding groups like the Planned Parenthood abortion business under international programs. Planned Parenthood has promoted and performed abortions in other countries and the Mexico City Policy, first instituted under President Ronald Reagan, cuts off their funding internationally and directs it to programs that provide legitimate help and support for poor people in other nations.
Perry said that, under Obama our federal tax dollars can now be used to fund abortion all over the world. With the stroke of a pen, abortion essentially became a U.S. foreign export.
On embryonic stem cell research, he said Obama was turning the remains of unborn children into nothing more than raw material, according to an AP report. Obama is ignoring the overriding responsibility of every government that is to protect citizens at every stage of their lives, especially those who cannot protect themselves, Perry said....
“...Perry has pleased pro-life advocates in Texas many times with signing pro-life legislation most recently signing an ultrasound bill allowing women to see them before an abortion and hopefully changing their minds on it. He has been strongly supported by pro-life groups. Perry supported or signed into law the Womens Right to Know Act and the Prenatal Protection Act in 2003, parental consent law in 2005, and funding for alternatives to abortions in 2007 and 2009.”
Then, why were Democrats praising Perry for supporting the International Planned Parenthood Fund?
Why ask me?!
But you obviously are not aware of the correlation between 'Atta-Boy's' and 'Oh-$hit's'.
I remember reading that 25% of delegates to Democrat party national conventions are public school teachers
“I have a friend that flew with Perry. He was the navigator. He said that Perry was a pretty good guy although a bit arrogant.”
You are kidding!! An arrogant pilot, who has ever heard of such a thing, who did he think he was, a surgeon or something?
There was a post yesterday saying that Perry supported IPPF. Not one poster argued about it. You seem to be a walking fountain of Perry info, so I asked you about it. BTW, what did Perry have to say about persecuted border agents Ramos and Compean? Perry WAS governor when the atrocious miscarriage of justice took place. Bob
Thanks for a good laught TxDas.
And to think they call astronauts "cowboys!" It's all too funny.
So I guess Perry's double arrogant because he flies and he's a cowboy.
Latest just out at the Houston Chronicle (and let me add that Gov Perry must call these special sessions to keep the Legislature working and not closing down for another 2 years):
"AUSTIN, Texas Texas lawmakers have approved a massive health care bill that includes new restrictions on abortions. The measure now goes to the governor. The 185-page bill allows for new health care collaboratives that allow hospitals, doctors and insurers to work together in new ways. It also allows Texas to enter into interstate health care compacts for Medicaid. But the most controversial matters concerned new restrictions on abortions that divided Republicans.
In signing contracts to provide family planning services, the bill bans the state from working with organizations that provide elective abortions, or affiliate with those that do. An attempt to defund Planned Parenthood. The bill also cuts state funding to county hospital districts that use local tax money to finance elective abortions. Travis County is the only district that does so." Lawmakers further restrict abortions
As Tom Skerrit said in Top Gun -- "I like that in a pilot".
I am sure you have heard the old joke where a fellow gets to the pearly gates and has St. Peter give him a tour. They arrive at the Heavenly Cafeteria when a person in a white coat brusquely pushes to the front of the line, grabs a piece of pie and a coffee throws some change at the cashier and rudely sets by himself in a corner. St. Pete shakes his head and says to the new recruit, “that’s God, he thinks he’s a surgeon”.
This is a true story according to the anesthesiologist that told me the tale.
“I joined the USMC in 69, do you know how had it was to get into the national guard in 69? Impossible unless someone pulled strings for you.’
Not true, all you had to be was educated and be able to spell.
No. I had not heard it. But I can believe it.
But I have to tell you, I’ve met some very skilled surgeons.
I’d have baked them some pies.
“But I have to tell you, Ive met some very skilled surgeons.
Id have baked them some pies.”
I know lots of surgeons, hundreds, and their skill set follows a normal curve from poor to unbelievable. However, I have never seen one bake a pie so if you are looking for reciprocity, well, fat chance.
Regarding anesthesiologists, don’t forget - you are not paying them to put you to sleep, you are paying to have them wake you up!
I might add, a great surgeon can have lots of bad outcomes if the post-op care is piss poor. The best predictors of outcome are the surgeon and hospital.
Thanks for the replies, but IMO, Perry should have been out front attacking the corrupt, anti-American prosecutors in this case. Same with Bush! All I can say is that I’m still listening. I would be a liar if I told you I felt less than betrayed when Perry didn’t stand up for Arizona. Thanks again, Bob
Excellent post C.W., thank you for posting!
June 30, 2011......Is America ready for a president who was George W. Bushs lieutenant governor, who was George W. Bushs successor as governor ... and who, like George W. Bush, was also a Karl Rove puppet? taunts Garry South, a Democratic consultant, referring to Bushs strategist.
But that jibe ignores what has been, at best, a cool relationship between Bush and Perry, and a lingering hostility between their top political advisors.
The two share some characteristics, sometimes unnervingly so. They have similar accents, the same cowboy gait and many of the same mannerisms. But the two come from starkly different backgrounds, approach politics in utterly different fashions and even draw their support from different parts of the GOP. It is the difference, said a campaign consultant who has worked with both, between Yale and Texas A&M, between Phillips Academy Andover and Paint Creek High School.
To a certain upper crust of Republican, Perry is the low-rent country cousin who lacks Bushs prep-school polish, said R.G. Ratcliffe, a longtime student of Texas politics who is writing a book about Perry. They see him as a hick and are embarrassed having someone like that as governor.
Privately, the former president has spoken of his successor as a political lightweight and someone not all that bright. Perry scoffs behind closed doors at Bushs privileged background and popularity among country-club Republicans, suggesting the New England native is a faux Texan.
Perrys story is the kind of up-by-his-bootstraps saga that Bush might have scripted for himself, had he been able.
He grew up in West Texas, in a farm town so small it literally was not on the state map until Perry, as governor, put it there. Life was austere; Perry was 6 before the family had indoor plumbing. His mother sewed his clothes, including the underwear Perry wore to college......
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.