Skip to comments.USGS Ups The Ante On Shale
Posted on 08/25/2011 4:42:13 PM PDT by Kaslin
Power: Despite efforts in the media and Congress to shut it down through fear and falsehoods, a new estimate of America's most promising energy source portends even more gas, oil and jobs.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) announced Tuesday that the Marcellus Shale formation that straddles the northeastern United States may hold a staggering 84 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of recoverable natural gas, up significantly from the last official government estimate of 2 tcf made in 2002.
The USGS said the estimate came from new information about the gas-rich formation underlying New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia, and from technical improvements in how wells are drilled and the gas is extracted.
Those who argue that the world is running out of fossil energy are wrong once again. They ignore the fact our resources are limited only by our imagination and the will to develop them.
The 84 trillion tcf figure is the mean of a range of possible gas volumes. There's a 95% chance that the formation has 43 tcf of gas and a 5% chance it may hold as much as 144 tcf. In addition, the formation may hold anywhere from 1.5 billion to 6.1 billion barrels of natural gas liquids.
This news strikes terror in the hearts of environmentalists, and government ideologues simply cannot handle shale gas and the prospect of what it holds for the American future. Shale gas doesn't require a government subsidy like wind and solar energy do; it is profitable, abundant and versatile in that it can be used to power the grid and as a transportation fuel.
(Excerpt) Read more at investors.com ...
Death to the Greenies!!!
I have VERY some old NY books. It has a good explanation and mapping of what’s in the area and along the NY/Penn border.
Funny, local news reported the opposite:
“Shale reserve estimate slashed”
Someone is misinformed.
The rocks have been well-known for over 100 years. It has been horizontal drilling and multi-stage fracing that have unlocked their potential. We now have a natural gas glut in this country.
At most, only one of these two reports can be true.
“At most, only one of these two reports can be true.”
Hopefully the higher estimates are understated.
Greenies need horse whipped then deported.
Marcellus Shale formation is the new ANWR
The same people who lost the globull warming debate, have now jumped in with both Berkinstocks, to the oil shale issue. Instead of being happy that natural gas is CLEAN. That a huge energy discovery right here in the U S of A, will provide tens of thousands of jobs, In the NORTHEAST of all places.
These people (progressives or Liberals, or Communists (one & the same, no?)) are just ANTI-AMERICAN. They HATE America. They want everyone to grow bean sprouts in their yards, compost the leftovers, ride bicycles, use chemical toilets, etc. Fine, for themselves, NOT FOR ME! How about you?
We need to SHAME these freakazoids. We need to LOL (laugh out loud) at them. Forget Civility!!! Learn to use CHUTZPAH!
Synonyms: audaciousness, audacity, brashness, brass, brassiness, brazenness, cheek, cheekiness, effrontery (also chutzpa or hutzpah or hutzpa), crust, face, gall, nerve, nerviness, pertness, presumption, presumptuousness, sauce, sauciness, temerity
Related Words: arrogance, assurance, cockiness, confidence, hardihood, overconfidence, sanguinity, self-assurance, self-confidence; discourteousness, disrespect, impertinence, impoliteness, impudence, incivility, inconsiderateness, inconsideration, insolence, rudeness, ungraciousness; back talk, sass; swagger, swash
We need to put these geeks in their place. We have to stop them from running and RUINING our country.
Like I always say, let them write music, books, poems. create art, movies, plays. Sing, dance, play musical instruments. They are GREAT at these things!!!!
Tell them to STAY THE HELL OUT OF POLITICS and OUR MILITARY. Conservatives will run the important stuff for the good of everyone.
In my opinion the greenie efforts to stop fracking will be an EPIC FAIL.
I have seen Pennsylvania Democrat politicians at fracking industry events. Their eyes are glazing over and their tongues are wagging at the mere thought of all the cash that is headed their way.
These enviros are just useful idiots. Once the Dems finish using them to impose an extraction tax to get more of their fingers in the pie they’ll be thrown under the bus.
ANd why aren’t the pubs beating the crap out of BO and the rest of the demons with it!
You are ignoring the fact that we only have the House while the rats have both the Senate and the White House. When we have all three then you can bitch if nothing is done about it
They aren't geeks. Geeks may be socially awkward, but they are usually very competent. The greenies are just whackos with an axe to grind.
Similar upgrades in estimated reserves happened with the Bakken.
They are even proposing a ban on fracking in the Ithaca city limits. It is an urban area. I doubt you could find a buildable lot in the city. I doubt any gas companies would ever drill in the city. It's just patronizing to the Gay, Lesbian, Cross Dressing, Trans Gender, leftists that run the city government.
I hope you are correct and other areas develop this resource. It is very unlikely it will ever happen in my area.
It should be coming up in front of the media now. Not making a poin about it now only helps them.
I wonder if in areas where these greenies are uncooperative with the oil companies, if they could simply up the price of gas to 4 or 6 times the going rate of those areas that cooperate.
Screw these people... if they want to be out of gas, then run them out of gas & money.
A year and a half ago, I put in a dual fuel HVAC system (heat pump or gas furnace for heat, under my control), since the gas potential wasn’t clear, and I wanted to be able to work with whatever was cheapest as a heating energy source.
If I had it to do over again today, I probably would have forgotten about the heat pump and just done conventional HVAC with a gas furnace.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.