Skip to comments.Sect member loses appeal (Warren Jeffs' lines of appeal are being shut down)
Posted on 08/27/2011 7:51:33 AM PDT by MizSterious
SAN ANGELO, Texas The latest round in the legal fight over the imprisonment of polygamist sect members went to the state, but the fight may not be over.
The Texas Third Court of Appeals in an opinion issued Friday upheld the conviction of Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints member Michael Emack on a charge of child sexual assault that came from evidence from the Yearning for Zion Ranch raid in April 2008.
In the next few weeks, the case could go to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, the highest Texas court for criminal cases, said Dallas attorney Robert Udashen, who is defending Emack and gave oral arguments to the Third Court of Appeals.
Udashen's opponents expressed confidence in the court's opinion.
"From the state's perspective, we believe that the Third Court got it right and correctly applied the law to the facts of the case and (51st District Judge Barbara) Walther's ruling," said Eric Nichols, who has been the lead prosecutor for the state in all of the Texas FLDS criminal cases from the YFZ Ranch.
Attorney General Greg Abbott concurred.
"Today's Third Court of Appeals decision rejected Michael Emack's attempt to avoid imprisonment after he pled guilty to sexually assaulting a 16-year-old child," Abbott said in a news release. "With today's decision, which also rejected Emack's baseless attempt to defend his illegal conduct as an exercise of religion, the state's efforts to extinguish widespread sexual abuse at the YFZ Ranch secured a significant victory."
(Excerpt) Read more at m.gosanangelo.com ...
Warren Jeffs trial pinglist—if you want on or off, let me know via Freepmail!
Although this is a story about another fLDS member’s trial, there are ramifications that probably have Warren Jeffs grinding his teeth at night—and his lawyers are probably buying antacid by the case. Jeffs pinned a lot of hope on the courts deciding the search was illegal. A lot of the evidence used in Jeffs’ trial came from those searches, of course.
SAN ANGELO, Texas - On June 11, 2008, top cops from Arizona, Nevada and Utah walked out of a meeting in Las Vegas excited about the prospect of banding together with federal authorities for a multistate effort to fight crimes related to polygamy.
The task force still hasn't materialized.
Federal authorities apparently remain cool to the idea, but state officials in Texas, Nevada and Utah remain hopeful. They see a glaring need for a coordinated state-federal effort to investigate allegations ranging from tax evasion to the sexual assault of underage "celestial" brides in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
The polygamist sect is a sophisticated criminal organization whose members flow freely across state and international boundaries to evade prosecution, officials said. The historic raid at the Yearning for Zion Ranch in Texas in 2008 helped set the tone for the Las Vegas meeting.
"This was truly a multistate problem," said Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff. "None of us are going to solve it alone."
(Excerpt--click here for the rest.)
Those of us who've been paying attention have seen all of this before. In the past, it's been lots of hot air, no action, and I doubt we'll see any change this time.
Two weeks after cult leader Warren Jeffs was convicted on two counts of child rape, members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) find themselves torn between dueling prophets trying to wrest control of Americas largest polygamy movement.
The common sentiment inside the cults Short Creek compound, on the Arizona-Utah border, remains that Uncle Warren was framed, according to insiders, despite heaps of damning evidence presented by prosecutors during his bizarre two-week trial. Meanwhile, Jeffs has told his followers that hes in jail for life because they were unwilling to repent.
Into this confusion, another so-called prophet, William Edson Jessop, is making a power play. Jessop has been holding alternative Sunday services, and the day after Jeffs was effectively muzzled, arriving at a prison in Huntsville, Texas, on Aug. 10, Jessop sent a typed message to 1,800 FLDS families in Short Creek. This is a letter as a brother and a friend, it begins, and warns Jeffss followers that if they dont come clean, they will be going down with the wicked and be damned. While Jeffs claims to be above the law, Jessop says he will not ignore the laws of the land. In other words, no underage marriages on his watch.
Jessop has been using Jeffss own words to position himself as the divinely anointed heir. In January 2007, Jeffs made a tearful taped confession from a Utah jail that he was a phony, calling himself the greatest of all sinners and the wickedest man. On the prison video, Jeffs proclaimed that Jessop was the true prophet. While Jeffs later recounted this statement, he gave Jessop an opening, which hes now trying to leverage.
(Excerpt--click here for the rest.)
Talk about "from the frying pan to the fire"--Willie the Thug could be a lot worse. What the fLDS really needs is an honest prophet, who would one day proclaim that all previous prophecies were hokum, and that the Divine told him it's time to dissolve the sect, outlaw polygamy for the abusive practice that it is, and restore humanity to the people who live in these "compounds."
Well, I can dream...
Faggots are getting married and adopting/buying same-sex children but Warren must go to jail for his perversion. Imagine that.
I hope we don’t have to start rooting for the presence of more mainline crime and mainline criminals. The traditional practice of mainline prisoners creating hard time for child and family abusers and molesters may well becoming at risk as the child abusers and molesters start to outnumber the mainline guys. LOL.
So you’re saying that if homosexuals get to adopt children, then what the heck, let ol’ crazy Warren rape all the children he wants?
You know, it IS possible to do two right things at the same time. We need to repeal laws that permit gays to adopt their victims, and we need to enforce laws that prevent any predator, fLDS, Muslim, whatever, from “marrying” their victims.
Prison agency spokesman Jason Clark said Jeffs will be in protective custody, which is among the most restrictive forms of imprisonment in Texas. He'll be alone in his cell daily, not be involved in any work programs and be out of the cell only for recreation alone and to shower.
Jeffs, now Texas inmate No. 01726705, is among only 85 inmates in the 156,000-prisoner Texas corrections system to be assigned protective custody, "the ultimate protection to offenders," Clark said. Protective custody inmates are normally isolated because of serious, direct or proven threats to their safety.
On the plus side, they say he will be 100 before eligible for parole.
"He will have contact visits but not with anyone under the age of 17," Clark said. The age limit is a provision of his status as a convicted sex offender.
He'll also be allowed to make phone calls to those on his visitors' list who have registered with the Texas prison phone system provider. His calls, however, are limited to 15 minutes and he can't exceed 240 minutes a month. The calls are recorded.
Might make it a little harder to run the fLDS from his cell, eh? But not impossible, I'm sure.
These perverts are all going to hell
Ever hear of NAMBLA.Org. The queers have an international organization devoted to raping of young boys. I haven’t read much about the Jeffers case but I have known a number of mormons—mostly nice people— and I once lived in the bay area of San Fran. Jeffers appears fairly normal next to the sickos in the San fran gay area. Mormons are not bad people as you proclaim and next to the homos they are stellar people. Are you aware that male homosexuals are the #1 vector for the spread of infectious diseases, making them a huge threat to public health?
Warren Jeffs also raped little boys, just for your information. He raped his own nephew, who testified against him at the trial. At the time, the little guy was only 9. He also raped his niece, who was 7 at the time. And just for the record, the fLDS follows the original teachings of the original LDS founders.
Forrest siad: "Ya never know what yer gonna get." (when a MORMON prophet goes to jail...)
What goes around...
JESUS: Hey Smith! Remember that boast you made about doing more than even I had done to hold the 'church' together?
JOSEPH SMITH: Where am I?
JESUS: Don't you remember? A few seconds ago you were in that jail.
JOSEPH SMITH: Oh; yeah; but where am I NOW?
JESUS: Don't you remember? Does bang - bang ring a bell?
JOSEPH SMITH: Oh; yeah - that crummy gun I had was about USELESS!
JESUS: I hope you left instructions on how to hold your church together.
JOSEPH SMITH: Dang! I knew there was SOMETHING I was forgetting!
JESUS: Looks like there's a power struggle going on down there.
JOSEPH SMITH: Yeah; there was always SOMEone who wanted the power that I held - especially over the LADIES - wink wink.
JESUS: No need to worry about that now; remember what my friend Matthew wrote down?
JOSEPH SMITH: This? At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven (Matthew 22:30)
JESUS: That's it.
JOSEPH SMITH: I thought that was mistranslated.
JESUS: Nah - it was right.
JOSEPH SMITH: Oh well; it was fun while it lasted. My buds will still get it on with the girls.
JESUS: Uh; I'm sorry; in just a few more years; your followers will cavein to the United States government and abandon the 'Eternal Covenant' that you came up with.
JOSEPH SMITH: ME!? YOU are the one that told me to do that!
JESUS: Sorry; but you must have mistranslated what I told you. What part of Do NOT commit ADULTERY did you not understand?
JOSEPH SMITH: mumble....
JESUS: What did you say?
JOSEPH SMITH: Oh, nothing.
JESUS: Well; it was interesting talking to you; but now I must get back to perparing a place for those who believe in Me.
JOSEPH SMITH: Oh, yeah; the Celestial Kingdom.
JOSEPH SMITH: The Telestial one?
JOSEPH SMITH: SUREly not the TERRESTRIAL one!!
JESUS: Nope. Didn't you read that the mind of man had NOT conceived of it? Paul wrote it down in 1 Corinthians 2:9.
JOSEPH SMITH: I thought that was mistranslated.
JESUS: No; it wasn't.
JOSEPH SMITH: You SURE?
JESUS: Yes. Now I must be going: what did you say your name was again?
JOSEPH SMITH: Joseph Smith.
JESUS: Hmmmm. According to my Heavenly FAITHbook, you didn't sign in as one of my friends - sorry, I never knew you.
JOSEPH SMITH: But....
Can he txt and/or tweet?
With comparisons like this; who AIN'T??
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
He has been fasting in his cell and became so weak as a result that he was moved to a medical facility where doctors induced a coma.
Matt Waller from GoSanAngelo said he can’t get confirmation from TDCJ about an induced coma.
I thought he fired Emily Detoto and Judge Walther OK’d it? Did he hire her again?
Didn’t he do the same thing in his AZ cell? He didn’t die then, doubt if he’ll do it now. I don’t think dying is in his playbook—just wants something to use on his appeal.