Skip to comments.One sickened by McDonald's fumes dies
Posted on 09/08/2011 9:14:04 AM PDT by rawhide
A hospital official says one person who was sickened by fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler has died.
Memorial University Medical Center spokesman Michael Notrica confirmed the death Thursday but said he could not provide any details about the person.
Authorities said 10 people were taken to the hospital Wednesday after firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a restaurant bathroom and others struggling to breathe. Notrica said eight were treated and released and two were admitted for treatment.
Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons earlier said one of the customers found unconscious was in critical condition, but it was not clear whether that was the person who died.
The restaurant was evacuated but a statement later issued by McDonald's said the restaurant had reopened after authorities deemed it safe.
Wrong mixture of common cleaning supplies produced chlorine gas?
Fumes at McDonald's leave 2 unconscious, sicken 9
Nine people were taken to a hospital after firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a bathroom and others struggling to breathe at a McDonald's restaurant outside Savannah, authorities said.
One of the customers who was found unconscious in the restroom was listed in critical condition Wednesday afternoon at Memorial Medical Center in Savannah, Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said.
Simmons said the firefighters who first arrived smelled an unusual odor, and the restaurant was evacuated. He said people were complaining of difficulty breathing.
At least 20 people, including three Pooler firefighters who responded to the restaurant, were decontaminated by a hazardous materials team as a precaution, Simmons said.
Officials suspect cleaning chemicals in the restroom are to blame, but a specific cause had not been determined, Simmons said.
The restaurant is near I-95 and U.S. 80 in Pooler. The town is about 10 miles west of downtown Savannah.
A McDonald's representative at the company's Illinois headquarters was trying to obtain further information about the incident.
We peons will never know.
Bleach, ammonia, acids.
Mixing two common household/bathroom cleansers WILL generate poisonous gas;we had a new janitor nearly kill himself that way.And the management of an upscale restaraunt removed and banned one of those from their stores,because if only one of the two are used,either is perfectly safe.Mixing the two is disastrous.
Michael Moore farted?
Hope it wasn’t the special sauce.
Odd, this normally happens in the restroom at home a few hours after you've eaten there.
There are other similar reports out there. Too early to tell with this story, it could be an accident, I certainly hope it is.
Chlorine gas from chemicals is rather obnoxious and these people seem to have been taken unaware.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning maybe?
An 80-year-old Florida woman died Thursday after falling victim to fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler, Ga., the Associated Press reports. Anne Felton and her husband were customers at the restaurant, from which 10 people were taken to a hospital.
Where is Pooler?
Whaddaya think's in the burgers?
Location near a port. Someone testing a shipment? If this is not an accident, a real problem is traveling away from this region. Hope there is a handle on what happened quick.
Custodian poured bleach on top of Drano? Phosgene is a bitch!
Please don't say that - this McD's is just a couple of miles from my office and I eat there often.
Another Pooler McD's story... my sister, who lives in Pooler, had her son's bike stolen and she found it chained to a bike rack at that McDonalds. She asked the cops what to do and they said "it's your bike, take it back".
I went inside, found the manager behind the counter and loudly told him that one of his employees was a thief, I was taking the bike, and if he or anyone else had a problem with that they should bring it outside.
Went outside, fired up my generator and cut the lock off with my skil saw. Nobody said a word.