Skip to comments.One sickened by McDonald's fumes dies
Posted on 09/08/2011 9:14:04 AM PDT by rawhide
A hospital official says one person who was sickened by fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in Pooler has died.
Memorial University Medical Center spokesman Michael Notrica confirmed the death Thursday but said he could not provide any details about the person.
Authorities said 10 people were taken to the hospital Wednesday after firefighters found two customers unconscious inside a restaurant bathroom and others struggling to breathe. Notrica said eight were treated and released and two were admitted for treatment.
Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons earlier said one of the customers found unconscious was in critical condition, but it was not clear whether that was the person who died.
The restaurant was evacuated but a statement later issued by McDonald's said the restaurant had reopened after authorities deemed it safe.
Hope this is a cleaning accident and nothing more...
Haven’t eaten at a McD’s in years. If they brought back the Big Mac For $1 special they used to have (what...10yrs ago?), I’d head there on foot right now.
Bleach and lye --> chlorine gas?
Another link for this incident ... http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/08/2396439/woman-sickened-by-fumes-at-ga.html
Simmons said the firefighters who first arrived smelled an unusual odor,
Odor? Then it definitely was not carbon monoxide.
Good point! You win the “Mr. Monk Award” of the year!
I don’t even understand why the firemen were there to begin with.
Didn’t say anything about someone calling them, or seeing something wrong, etc. It’s almost as if firemen were just there for lunch.
There does appear to be much missing in the reports. Unknown after unknown. Autopsy will provide some information. MHO ... that autopsy should be double time.
When I worked at McD there were at least 4 occasions when guys accidentally mixed bleach and ammonia. None of them wound up doing more damage than giving the person in question a viscous headache, but they all did it in large rooms too. It would be easy to do on accident and walk away, like to clean a toilet (dump them in the toilet and let them get some soak). It’s a tempting mixture for the uninformed cleaner, they both have very desirable cleaning properties, generally the 2 best cleaners in the building. And you don’t generally have the brightest and best working in fast food.
Couldn’t be, there were survivors.
Same situation where I used to work: cleanser (containing bleach) was still on the custodial supplies stock list, but ammonia had been dropped.
We had a good custodian who bought his own ammonia.
Your right on....I have heard of people mixing 2 different chemicals to clean toilets and died from the gas’s released. Got to be careful with glues also...I do crafts and accidently used two different glue’s and you could see the chemical reaction that floated up into to the air...never made that mistake again...
That’s Taco Bell!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.