Skip to comments.5 Reasons Black Americans Should Give Up On The Democratic Party
Posted on 09/13/2011 4:59:13 AM PDT by Kaslin
I grew up in the deep South and once, when I was going to high school, I went to a friend's party. A couple dozen of us were hanging around downstairs, enjoying ourselves, when we found out that the father of the girl who was throwing the party wouldn't let a kid into his house because he was black. You may be wondering if there was any other motive. Maybe the kid mouthed off, he was dressed like a thug, the two of the them had some kind of run-in before...none of that was true. The father was just a racist who didn't want a black kid in his house.
To me, the interesting part was what happened AFTER he did that. The black kid who came to the party had rolled up with 15 white, country boys from school. The girl's father told them that they could come in if they wanted. They politely refused and said if their friend wasn't welcome, then they weren't going to go in either. Then, they all left together. When the word spread downstairs, the girl who was throwing the party was horrified and incredibly embarrassed that her father had done that and the party broke up and ended within a few minutes time.
As someone who was born in the seventies in North Carolina and grew up admiring people like Muhammad Ali, Satchel Paige, and even Malcolm X (Yes, really) that was a pretty good example of the world I grew up in. Sure, there were a few diehard racists around, but amongst people of my generation, they were few and far between. We didn't grow up with separate water fountains, segregation, or Jim Crow laws. The KKK was considered a joke, even back then, and few people ever dropped the N-bomb in conversation unless they were reciting rap lyrics.
All this is worth noting because I do know what real "Black people ain't no d@mn good" racism looks like. If you listened to the Democratic Party, you'd think most conservatives are that way. However, I've never personally seen anyone behave that way at a Tea Party, at a blogger convention, or at any Republican event I've ever attended. Moreover, I don't personally know a single blogger, Tea Partier, or conservative politico who makes racist remarks behind the scenes. That's not to say that racists don't exist. They certainly do, but, by any sort of reasonable standard, there's no more racism in the Republican Party than the Democratic Party. The only real difference is that if a Republican says something like, "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man," that's presented as concrete evidence of racism in the Republican Party. On the other hand, if someone like Joe Biden says it, it's treated as if it signifies nothing just because he's a Democrat. However, that's how Democrats HAVE to play the game because the reality is that black Americans should have given up on the Democratic Party a long time ago.
1) Black Americans have been voting for the Democrats en masse for almost 40 years. What do they have to show for it economically? Here's what they have to show for it: In 2009, the average net worth for white households was $113,149 and $5,700 for black households. Great job, Democratic Party!
It's truly bizarre to hear Maxine Waters, Andre Carson, Jesse Jackson and other assorted Democratic "leaders" blaming Republicans or even more improbably, Tea Partiers, because black Americans are having a tough time. In every single place in the country where black Americans are a decisive factor in selecting the politicians in charge, Democrats are running the show. How do you look at decimated cities where Democrats have had control of every lever of power for 40 years and conclude, "Republicans are the problem?"
2) As long as black Americans vote monolithically for the Democratic Party, they will always be treated like dirt. There's never any question which party black Americans are voting for. The only real question is turnout. This leads to the Democratic Party treating black voters as an afterthought. Yes, politicians show up to a black church on the Sunday before an election or toss a little largesse towards Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, but they could give a damn about the average black American because there's no reason for them to care. The only thing any Democrat has to do is claim that his opponent is a racist and he's got 90 percent of the black vote locked up. On the other hand, Republicans have absolutely no reason to pursue black voters because no matter what they do, they believe they're going to be branded as racist, and their opponents will collect 90% of the black vote. Until black Americans start giving some indications that their votes are up for grabs, they will continue to be ignored by both parties.
3) Black Americans are thriving in today's Republican Party. Whatever you may think of the job that Barack Obama has done as President, it is still unquestionably a big deal for America to have its first black President. That being said, the GOP hasn't been standing still in that department either. Michael Steele was the first black Republican National Committee chairman. Tim Scott and Allen West were both elected to Congress, in majority white districts, last year. West is so popular that he was the keynote speaker at CPAC, the biggest conservative conference of the year. Their election came on the heels of George W. Bush appointing the first AND second black Secretary of State, Colin Powell and Condi Rice. Walter Williams is a fill-in host for the most popular conservative talk radio host in America, Rush Limbaugh. Thomas Sowell was voted the single most liked conservative in America in 2010 AND 2011 by conservative bloggers. Incidentally, second place in 2011 was Allen West. If the question is, "Can black Americans get the respect they deserve in the Republican Party today?" the significant number of black conservatives making an impact seems to suggest the answer is, "Yes, they can!"
4) Black Americans are not as liberal as their voting records seem to show. Many black Americans actually see eye-to-eye with Republicans on many social issues including abortion, gay marriage, and being friendly to Christianity. Many black Americans also agree with the conservative stance on illegal immigration, school choice, being tough on crime, and supporting entrepreneurs -- and no wonder. For a lot of black Americans, a vote for the Democratic Party is a vote to lose their job to an illegal alien, trap their kids in a lousy school, and get criminals released back into their neighborhood.
Even someone like Louis Farrakhan, who has campaigned for numerous Democrats over the years, is in favor of corporal punishment, building small businesses, and he believes that welfare is a trap that keeps black Americans mired in poverty. Incidentally -- it is.
When black Americans stop buying the phony baloney "He's a racist" line that Democrats peddle in every election and start genuinely considering Republican candidates on the issues, suddenly both parties will start giving black Americans the attention they deserve.
5) What has the Democratic Party's "help" over the last 40 years achieved for black Americans? The Democratic Party's line is that black Americans need their "help" to get by in a racist world. Here's an alternate theory: Buying into the Democratic Party's philosophy and accepting "help" has been one of the biggest reasons that black Americans lag behind white Americans. Black males are 6 times as likely to be in prison as white males and black Americans make up 49% of the homicide victims in America. 71.6% of all black Americans are born out of wedlock and black Americans are almost twice as likely to drop out of high school as white Americans, both of which help explain why the black poverty rate is almost 2 1/2 times the white poverty rate.
Would voting for the Republican Party make all of those problems go away overnight? No. But, not only has the Democratic Party failed to deal with those issues in a meaningful way, it has exacerbated the problems with its policies. After 40 years of disastrous Democratic Party "help," maybe it's time for black Americans to give the Republican Party a crack at it.
...and 1 reason they won’t....race
We didn't grow up with separate water fountains, segregation, or Jim Crow laws. The KKK was considered a joke, even back then, and few people ever dropped the N-bomb in conversation unless they were reciting rap lyrics.
What a difference 20 years can make. I grew up in small town southern Missouri in the 50s and that's exactly what I saw.
I could cite numerous examples but anybody who grew up in that era and in that area knows what I'm talking about.
These are all reasons for blacks to be as pissed off as pissed off can be, but I never see any indication that any of this even registers on their pissed off scale. So it's no wonder that this argument and others never get any traction with them. If you don't have a D (for Dim) next to your name, don;t bother, just move along.
If I was running for office I would do what everyone before me had done. I would ignore the black voter because there's nothing I can do or say to even have a chance of getting their vote.
Every campaign has a finite amount of resources and I would use them where they have the best chance of paying off. To do anything else would be stupid and fruitless.
The africans are going to keep on voting democrat until the republicans out pander the dems. No thanks. They made their bed, now they can sleep in it.
Problem is, what % of the black community can we expect to read Townhall?
This dose of political reality unfortunately falls on deaf ears.
GOP can offer free Kools; free Escalades; free gold jewelry; free Mickey’s malt Liquor; free NBA get-out-of-jail-free-cards; 72 ho’s at death.............stop me, it’s too easy!
“...and 1 reason they won’t...race”
...that’s because they were raised to “never trust whitey”. From LJB to Carter to Obama.
There’s more to it than that.
Most sheeple support the ‘rats simply because the liberal ideology is all about “it’s not your fault, it’s someone else’s fault, and we’ll make it right for you with no effort on your part if you give us enough power”.
It’s gotten to the point now that: if your skin is WHITE, you can’t possibly NOT be racist.
This is the truth. I’ve heard it from black friends. -It’s just in our ‘nature’.
Wow. How times have changed...
And 52% of the killers.
So, here's a handout, go listen to some music, dance, sit around, buy some bling, get some gold for your teeth, get a tattoo, pull your pants down, make some babies out of wedlock, buy some smokes, buy some booze, bitch and complain about the Man holding you down, and sing some rap crap about how bad you got it and we will do it all over again next month.
You can thank us at the voting booth.
(7) Jim Crow
(8) The Ku Klux Klan
(10> The Democratic White Primaries
(11) The escalating National Debt
(12) The open Mexican Border
(13) The staggering tax burdens
(14) The Frankenstein's Monster known as the Federal Government
(15) The self-serving laws passed by the Ruling Class in Congress that do not apply to the rest of the American people
(16) The staggering Washington burocracy
(17) The stiffled U.S. economy
(18) Laws prohibiting citizens from defending themselves in their own homes
(19) Ineffective protection against illegal drugs
(20) The destruction of the greatest economy the world has ever known and the greatest, most powerful, and most just nation the world has ever known
(21) The Declaration of Independence
(22) The U.S. Constitution
(23) The Gettysburg Address
(24) The Emancipation Proclamation
(25) Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address
(26) Etc. etc. etc. et al.
The list goes on and on and on!
All (black and otherwise) Americans with functioning brains see Democrat politicians for exactly what they are--a self-serving Ruling Class, destroying the United States with their greed, dishonesty, and self-serving extravagance, pushing America into a hellhole of decadence, and tossing crumbs to us peasants to keep themselves in power, and will kick these parasitic Democrat politicians out of office as fast as possible!
And 52% of the killers.
And a very high percentage of abortion victims.
As well as an equally high percentage of the abortion perpetrators.
” In 2009, the average net worth for white households was $113,149 and $5,700 for black households. Great job, Democratic Party! “
what country did they survey, surely not the USA
Shouldn’t things be done as free individuals?
There is no comparison of Republican racism to democrat racism. It was the democrats who favored slavery, who made the racist white only laws in cities, who are cheating young blacks from achieving good education, who destroyed black families by the millions with an evil, racist, welfare system. In my lifetime I have met few Republican and no conservative racists, but have met many democrat/liberal racists.
LOL That’s a pretty standing joke in our family and we ALWAYS take bets when we see that vehicle on the road.
This is getting on fifty years since the big civil rights days of the sixties, and you still have black pols acting as is George Wallace is still the governor of Alabama standing in the doorway and the Klan is terrorizing black citizens. Until we get responsible black pols, a doubtful proposition even with Allen West getting elected, we'll be getting 90% plus Black Americans voting for the party that keeps them mired in poverty and hopelessness.
The author is absolutely correct the above problems are all linked directly to Jonsons war on poverty.
Johnsons war on poverty required that those women receiving ADC not have a father living in the home.
You get more of what you pay for. So what do expect when you pay for fatherless households? More fatherless households.
Fatherless household are a direct cause of all of the other problems. And the length and breadth of these problems increase with each succeeding generation.
The real problem with getting Blacks out of this crippling cycle is human nature.
People stay where they are comfortable. It is human nature. Where are people comfortable? Generally where they grew up.
So here we are about 4 generations in to the War On Poverty and every day another batche of kids are born in to the ADC program and another batch of young girls graduate from being a child of the ADC program to being a Female Head of House Hold receiving ADC benefits for her fatherless child. Female Head of House Hold will also be recruited to be a loyal Democrat voter so that can vote her self interest.
It is a hard nut to crack. How do we break in to the comfort zone of this demographic? How do we convince these people that it is in their self interest to wean themselves from the government teat get off the dole and work for their own self interest when their family has lived this way for generations?
Ultimately it is easier for their own community to convince them that they need to change. Hearing these words from an outsider is less convincing. Leaders in their own community will have to convince them that there is a way out and that life is better in the free world.
While I tend to agree with you on this point, I'd still like to see the GOP Presidential candidate walk into a black church and state these 5 points. Ask people to actually face reality, question the folks they're blindly following. Chances are he'd get boo'd out the building, but it may get a few people thinking. Every war has a first shot.
However if they were smart, they would
When freed, a good number of former slaves refused to leave the farm.
I didnt mean physical comfort in post 23 but emotional/psychological comfort and your post brings that point to a sharp point. (Not to say that most welfare recipients do not live comfortably)
You may live in squalor but you know that your basic needs are covered. Knowing that your day to day existence is ensured by the master; this is the comfort of a slave. It is a perfect analog for the welfare recipient.
The nanny state is a kind master. It does not ask much of its slaves. All it ask is that you vote for the Democrats every two years. If you show up at a demonstration once in a while so much the better.
I will bet there are 30 - 40 % NOT making over $30,000.00
Considering all the self-destructive activity, it’s amazing they haven’t wiped themselves out.
...had rolled up with 15 white, country boys from school. The girl's father told them that they could come in if they wanted. They politely refused and said if their friend wasn't welcome, then they weren't going to go in either... the girl who was throwing the party was horrified and incredibly embarrassed that her father had done that and the party broke up and ended within a few minutes time. As someone who was born in the seventies in North Carolina and grew up admiring people like Muhammad Ali, Satchel Paige, and even Malcolm X (Yes, really) that was a pretty good example of the world I grew up in. Sure, there were a few diehard racists around, but amongst people of my generation, they were few and far between. We didn't grow up with separate water fountains, segregation, or Jim Crow laws. The KKK was considered a joke, even back then, and few people ever dropped the N-bomb in conversation unless they were reciting rap lyrics.Thanks Kaslin.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.