Skip to comments.Herman Cain releases bizarre advert [chief of staff smoking a cigarette as "I am America" plays]
Posted on 10/25/2011 3:01:30 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
The spot was posted on October 19th, according to its YouTube page, but because it was unlisted on Cain's main YouTube page it seems to have gone undiscovered until now. There has been some speculation online that the spot is a hoax, but the Cain campaign late Monday night confirmed to CBS News that it is legitimate.
A campaign official said that the video was "just Block being Block." But it's unclear what the campaign planned to do with the video, whether it was intended to be an ad, or why it wasn't publicly available on Cain's page with his other videos.
Intentionally or not, the ad brings to mind Cain's history opposing smoking bans as a lobbyist with the National Restaurant Association, which the New York Times recently reported out.
(Excerpt) Read more at newstatesman.com ...
Personal freedom. It’s become a foreign term in the past several years.
Oh, well, I guess it’s time for everyone to get behind the corrupt, stammering, boob from Texas.
People smoke. I am against the nanny state - real and celluloid.
It’s a slick ad:
Wow, it’s not the smoke blown out at the end that gets me, but that “smile” by Cain at the end is downright creepy. Hope they don’t show this ANYWHERE.
Loved it, an in your face to the politically correct anti-smoking nanny staters..As Cain says, its time for some in America to get a sense of humor...
Krista Branch “I Am America”
It's a repudiation of political correctness.
the look of confidence has become foreign?
Couldn’t be any worse that those nauseating photos you guys run of the big he-man Perry looking off into the middle distance as if trying to conjure up...a thought.
Thanks for posting! I actually LOVE this ad. It’s real, and it’s simple...
As for it being “artsy”? I was expecting something like an Andy Warhol painting, or perhaps a Peter Max inspired ad... THAT is “artsy”.
Amazing that instead it was someone just being themself. Being real. Being honest... I guess that would be bizarre if you’re used to plastic smiles, plastic hair, and poll-based scripted speech.
Actually, this might be the start of a BRILLIANT ad campaign... WHY? Because I am an American, too... And, so is the spirit of the majority of people in this country still (believe it or not).
I think it has a wonderful message, frankly... Be yourself. Stand up for what you believe in — put the “YOU” back in the USA. TOGETHER we can stand UNITED, and fix the damage that has been wrought - and actually fight for our country instead of rolling over and settling for the same as we’ve always had...
Absolutely LOVE it! GO CAIN GO!
(Incidentally, this is the same slogan my husband and I thought up while working on a national campaign back in 2000... The candidate didn’t use it at the time, but I’m glad it’s still out there in the ether, and that someone picked up on that same spirit even if it did take 11 years to come back around... Pretty dang cool, IMHO.)
I suppose he should have jabbered with some professor and a gagged and bound white cop while they drank beer along with thier Happy Meals with apples instead of fries?
The ad was pretty odd but the guy smoking was probably the only cool part about it (and I don’t smoke).
that smoke smells like individual freedom.(being an ex smoker for 35 years now, I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke...but I do like the freedom to be able to...)
but my question is...... will the vast nannystate middle/independents like it??? It might be a bit too much for their feeble minds...and that very same middle will put the next president into office...perhaps Cain should have danced around it a bit?? I just don't know.
I don’t smoke but I like it!
That’s it, that’s IT. #WeCantWait to report all of you jackwagons to Attaaack Waaaatch.
This Herman Cain ad is a lot stranger and a lot better.
lol, I dunno it’s purpose, but I liked it. Maybe an in your face, Obama you commie bastid, I’m the real deal black American who can do the job, kinda thing.
I actually loved the smoke blowing at the end and then Cain’s best smile. Maybe they were just playing around when they put it together, and then saw the irony of it. Don’t think it’s worth expensive tv time, but a priceless Youtube grab.
Perry is trying to look like the Marlboro Man without outright saying "Marlboro Man" because then he'd have to pay somebody for copyright infringement. He is too much. His "I have had a lifelong love affair with guns" schtick will result in an ad featuring him in a bed with a shotgun on the pillow beside him sharing a cigarette after who-knows-what, and then this Cain ad will be moot.
That POS in our White House smokes . . . and that’s in a taxpayer owned building . . . What’s with the hypocrisy?
There is not a damned thing wrong with this spot. I liked it. Its real, honest, simple, practical, and down to earth. Brilliant for a bit of fooling around.
Who would imagine that in the early 21st century America, it would be considered scandelous to smoke a cigarette, but perfectly ok for homosexuals to be “married”?
You've gone from being conservative to being annoying.
Stop it, go make the bed, do the washing and scrub the floor.
Or is it a metaphor for the Cain campaign blowing smoke?
Great ad, I relly like how Cain spit on his foot.
LOL. That wasn’t Cain but a black cowboy who was a card carrying liberal. Cain doesnt appear until the last few seconds of the ad.
I loved the Yellow flowers clip.
The clip shines a bright light 0bama, and Hollywood actors, pointing out just how phony and shallow they are.
No, that was Obama who spit on his foot.
Peculiar. It’s even, dare I say it, subversive in this cultural climate.
The comments at the site are unbelievable.
If you’re killing yourself with cancer sticks...vote for CAIN!
That has to be the weirdest ad ever!
Hmmmm, how did posting a funny Cain ad, all of a sudden become a let’s bash and demagogue Perry because we like it, kindof post.
So many of you stuck on yourselves while carrying the democratic propaganda against Perry just can’t help yourselves, can you.
Every one of you know that you’re going to vote for the last candidate standing against Obama no matter who it is. And the people are going to decide who that is, not any of us personally or individually.
I’m going to throw my first vote to Perry, because I know the truth. Perry is the only man standing on that stage that has actually done the job of addressing and correcting the issues before this country in his state.
1. Balanced a huge budget and correctly applied the money for the best benefit of Texans.
2. Put $millions of dollars for boots on the ground at our southern border to stop the influx and protect.
3. Put in force risk pool insurance plans to make health care available to Texans excluded because of pre-existing conditions before anybody else in the US even thought of it. And he did it without a mandate, leaving Texans the ability to choose.
4. Fought off attempts by democrats to implement a state income tax. Done everything he can to keep our taxes low, as well as keep the cost of living in Texas at a manageable level.
5. Brought record numbers of jobs and businesses into the State during a recession, and kept Texans protected from joblessness, and brought wealth here.
6. Is fighting the EPA regulations off the state, and will crash and burn them to the ground and get their boot off this country’s back.
7. Has implemented a strong energy policy in our state and knows how REALLY important energy independence is to this country. As well as the jobs it will instantly create for Americans.
8. Will stand on the stage and call your arse heartless and not bother will stupid political correctness just to pander to your little sensitivities over a program that Texans supported that produces a better outcome for youth stuck here at no fault of their own and not going anywhere. It makes them first apply for citizenship, allows for stringent scholastic achievement restrictions to get the cream of the crop, and only asks them to PAY for their own education. The idea that it’s going to cost tax payers $100,000 per child his political KRAP talk. The fact is that their tuition is $170,000 more revenue that we wouldn’t otherwise have gotten.
8. A man who has stood up for his state against all odds and makes no bones about defending it against all enemies, even those within. And will do the same for this country.
I’m going to vote for the man that’s actually done the job already. I love Herman Cain. I think he’d make a great VP and get some experience under his belt. Or a cabinet member maybe in charge of foreign trade who can do the math and solve our trade deficit problems.
Enjoy the Texas primary ... that's the only shot you're gonna have at voting for Rick.
“Every one of you know that youre going to vote for the last candidate standing against Obama no matter who it is.”
Don’t bet on it. There is no way I will vote for Romney, or any ticket with him on it.
I’m sure I’m already on that list! LoL (I had a LOT of fun at Twitter the day that account opened).
>> It’s artsy.
It’s lame, IMO.
I could care less about the smoking thing at the end — that too isn’t evil, it’s just lame.
But I seriously wonder about the body language. Mr. Bloch is shaking his head “no” nearly the whole time he is extolling Mr. Cain. What’s up with that?
I thoroughly intend to. And if he loses then I’ll know that as well as democrats the many republicans are stuck on stupid and there’s not a lot going to change in this country.
I too will gag if I have to vote for Romney, the alternative Marxist democrat. But as I’ve said before I’ll vote for an orange-butted orangutan against Obama. At least an orangutan knows how to count his bananas, and when to stop eating. Romney operates on a need for praise and is a smarmy coward who will possibly have ‘some’ fear of public opinion at least.
Obama is a lying muslim communist who could care less whether HE or YOU dies in his attempt at world chaos leading to punishment of Americans. He’s pro’bly rationalized to himself if he’s martyred for his cause he’ll get 72 gay virgins in Mohammad’s pagan hell hole heaven.
If he shaken his head in the AFFIRMATIVE, non-verbally it would have looked even more awkward and may not have particularly projected the affirmative any more stronger.
That is the beauty of the ad. It is supposed to create outrage by the anti-smoking NAZIs on the left, then Cain can respond that Obama is a smoker and they said nothing about that.
Perfect setup using political correctness against your opponents.
1. Controversial, unconventional, avant-garde, out-of-the-box-thinking guerilla-marketing type provocative ad.
2. Generates arguments, discussion, kuchikomi water cooler talk, internet buzz, people who never heard of this "Cain guy" wanting to check it out, boosting his name IDs further.
3. Temporary split in viewpoints. Maybe 50% view it like, it, and 50% (like the liberal dems, and RINOs, and Freepers here on FR who have clearly decided against Mr. Cain weigh in against it) opposed and slam it.
4. Herman gets asked about the ad in a debate or by some self righteous, pompous, elitist beltway talking head type in a news interview on FOX or CNN or elsewhere... Some uptight chap in the race, maybe Santorum as he strikes me as the most susceptible to take the bait without thinking through the tactical reprecussions, takes such an ad literally and spouts off on his high horse about nationwide cancer deaths by smoking and drones on and on, tilting at a windmill thinking he can eek out maybe 5% of the vote by going attack dog.
5. Sets up the final golden pitch for Herman Cain before a national audience for his ultimate coup d' grace which he had likely planned from the beginning. He MOCKS the MOCKERS, and SAYS IT WAS A JOKE, DONT BE SO THIN SKINNED, GOING BONKERS OVER A GUY PUFFING A CIGARETTE IS RABID LIBERAL POLITICAL CORRECTNESS HAS GONE TOO FAR IF THIS GETS YOUR UNDERWEAR IN A CLUMP, and then maybe 85% of Americans are nodding their head in agreement over the add up 35% from the initial figures. "Hey, this Cain fellow? Man is he ever right. I can't even crack any more jokes down at the lunchroom anymore with the guys, its gone so far in my country with this easily offfffended libs....I kinda like this Herman Cain." (All the while, saying to themselves in their minds, "you know, in fact, under Obama and others this country HAS gone too damned far with the PC rubbish to the point they would consider such an ad in a negative light or get riled up over it.")
Brilliant positioning to win the fight on the larger scale, increase name ID level and burnish Herman Cain's endearing, anti-PC creds and image further into the national mindset. Brilliant 42 dimension chess at work here folks, and having fun all at the same time. Lighten up Francis! (Or in this case, "Light Up Francis!").
If you watched the Morning Joe video, you understand what Caine’s ad is about when the Nazi commentator woman borrows a pack of cigs from the other guest and breaks them in half saying they are bad for you!
This use to be a country of freedom of choice and personal responsibility. Now the elites tell us what we can and can’t do - sickening!