Skip to comments.Gingrich Interviewed on Fox News Special Report Around 6:35 - 6:40 PM EST Tonight
Posted on 11/08/2011 3:35:25 PM PST by BCrago66
Fox News Special Report interviews a Republican presidential candidate each week; today, it's Newt Gingrich's turn, starting around 6:35 - 6:40 PM EST. In past weeks, the interview starts on TV, and continues after 7PM EST on "Special Report Online"; I posted the link to the online show above.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
Coming up next after break!
He certainly has gravitas...
He’s sitting next to Krauthammer, who said his campaign was “dead” around 4 months ago...:-)
I honestly didn’t think Newt would do as well as he has, but every time I’ve heard him in the *debates* I’ve been extremely impressed. I’ve always known he was smart, but he’s more than smart.
I might catch some flak for this but I honestly think he hit a homerun with his answer on his global warming commercial with Pelosi.
Good grief Newt knows everything. He had to educate the panel on the extensive pipeline system that crosses the US and carries fuels & gas without incident.
He is so brilliant and well prepared.
I think I have to go with a Gingrich/Cain ticket.
Gingrich is so far batting 1000. He would eviscerate Obama in debates. He has to know that the media will pull out all the stops to smear him if it looks like he could get the nomination (not to mention the Romney folks).
Yes, he said it was singly the most stupiest thing he has ever done!
I missed that - what did he say?
Newt is on his way to the top to easily take on Romney on every issue and in every venue. And with Newt there will be no real surprises contrary to the smoke-fire burning we have been subjected to this week and last, with the other candidate.
If voters are truly interested in the Tea Party force and their singular platform obamacare, that actually won in Novermber, 2010, then Rick Perry is the only one standing with the goods on that single issue that sky rocketed the Tea Party in November, ‘10—JOBS. It was JOBS.
He has ‘em. He went out and got ‘em, and he’s keeping ‘em.
If America doesn’t want JOBS, let ‘em vote for Cain, Gingrich, Romney, etc.
Please summarize. Thanks
I’m happy that it seems a lot of people on Free Republic who were dubious about Newt seem to be reconsidering. Their complaints about Newt - the couch with Nancy, the serial marriages, etc. - are legit, but in light of Newt’s countervailing virtues, he might be the best guy to take on Obama.
No flak here. I agree with you.
I also agree with him that it was probably one of the dumbest things he’s ever done!
I promise I’ll summarize, but if you can, please wait until interview’s over at around 7:15 PM EST.
and Newt was doing stupid things then....but no one can deny his knowledge or his experience. he seems to be taking his candidacy more seriously now. things change.....
Oh I meant his answer about the global warming couch snuggle with Pelosi.
If anyone believes that when Cain is gone all will be sunshine and peppermint patties they will be sadly mistaken. The knives will be out for Newt and his 3 wives. GeeZ
YES! That was very refreshing to hear right from the horse's mouth. Juan is trying to get him on the personal baggage, former wife/cancer story, etc. Maybe he is unloading his baggage and it is not all dirty laundry. Newt is a smart guy - mayeb too smart by half. I'll give him another look.
Go here for rest of interview:
he said that a minority of scientists do not agree with global warming.
1. Came out of the bag and admitted it was the singularly stupidest thing he has done... when pressed and given wiggle room, he made no excuses, simply said it was a stupid move.
2. said temperature has changed historically, gave specific examples.
3. said national academy of sciences mostly agree with global warming and that conservatives should not all assume they are all wrong or corrupt
4. said national science academy should recognize that science is not about a vote but the truth
All in all he nailed it.
“He would eviscerate Obama in debates.”
Newt continues to impress me.
Newt Impresses me, but the panel really disappointed me tonight .. and the “funny skit” at the end? That was just the POOR TASTE icing on a badly made cake. You can tell they want Mitt and he won’t even come onto their “center seat”. Amazing.
Watched it and Newt left “the brain” aka Krauthammer speechless:) everyone that wants to know the vast difference between Gingrich and Romney should read the plan bump. It is STARK..Newt has my vote. http://www.newt.org/news/lets-bump-plans-comparison-gingrich-and-romneys-tax-plans
No thanks...Global Warming is a Red Flag Indicator for me.
Newt would eliminate the EPA...Newt’s American Energy Plan:
1.Remove bureaucratic and legal obstacles to responsible oil and natural gas development in the United States, offshore and on land.
2.End the ban on oil shale development in the American West, where we have three times the amount of oil as Saudi Arabia.
3.Give coastal states federal royalty revenue sharing to give them an incentive to allow offshore development.
4.Reduce frivolous lawsuits that hold up energy production by enacting loser pays laws to force the losers in an environmental lawsuit to pay all legal costs for the other side.
5.Finance cleaner energy research and projects with new oil and gas royalties.
6.Replace the Environmental Protection Agency, which has become a job-killing regulatory engine of higher energy prices, with an Environmental Solutions Agency that would use incentives and work cooperatively with local government and industry to achieve better environmental outcomes while considering the impact of federal environmental policies on job creation and the cost of energy.
Share your sentiments. Have taken a very long and hard look at the candidates and everytime I compare notes..Gingrich wins. Did you read his bump plans on vs Romney? or his tax plan? or even his plan to eliminate the EPA?
It might be possible that, at this point, he’s gotten most of the stupid out of his system.
I believe the empathy and mutual respect between Newt and Herman will be an unbeatable combination.
They would each bring unique qualities to the Executive branch having survived the fires of media hell.
Newt will destroy BO in debates and Herman’s smile will eliminate Biden’s smirk.
Newt will be redeemed and America will be saved.
So, you are stating that Gingrich doesn’t support the theory of Global Warming?
He clearly was not comfortable asking it so I'm wondering how deep that Soros cattle prop was stuck up his a** to make sure he asked it...
Question was about his first wife and he telling her he was divorcing her on her hospital bed sick with cancer...that is a lie according to Newt
He’s beyond smart; he knows what it means to BE an American; he knows our history and he has the experience to deal with the evil of the left.
Listen to him talk about General George Washington. Newt understands the danger that America is in today.
Watch the two videos
In a couple hours, this entire interview should be available on Fox News online, rightscoop.com and/or on youtube, but let me try to summarize.
1) Personal baggage. Recommends people read his daughter’s article - Jackie Cushman Gingrich - on the “divorce papers to dying wife” tale, showing it is false. More generally, judge his my the totality of his life, he’s a 68 year old grandfather now, with good relations with his family. Very few people outside media ask him about the personal stuff.
2) Withdrawal from Iraq. We lost the “3rd Iraq war” (1 was desert storm, 2 was taking Iraq in 2003) because of civilian bungles; noncommittal as to what he would do to reverse Obama’s total withdrawal decision; future if Iraq now look bad now as Shia look to take revenge on Sunnis the minute America leaves; says we must look at both Iraq & Afghanistan in context of general war against militant Islam.
3) Greece. I didn’t understand it all, but looks like Newt is pessimistic that the latest deal will prevent collapse; looks like it just delays the inevitable. Suggests that radically different cultures Europe that resent each cannot be united under one currency, and that Greece should exit the Euro.
4) What caused financial bubble/recession? Newt says biggest cause, historically, in easy money Federal Reserve policy, which encourages crazy lending. 2nd biggest cause is firms that recommended that these bonds were OK (rating agencies? Other Wall St. analysts?)
5) Big supporter of Israel, should that country see fit to attack Iran, as Israel has the right to survive. Seeks to overthrow of Iranian regime, as a means to end nuclear threat; but should that not happens, not adverse (or at least not ruling out) a range of military options, covert & overt, by American to stop a nuclear threat.
6) No one can claim certainty either way on scientific issue of global warming; majority of scientist think global warming is real, but minority says No, and science is about truth, not consensus. In any case, opposed to government imposed cap & trade; seeks free-market solutions to environmental problems.
7) On individual health insurance mandate, admits he once supported it in the 90’s, as less coercive than HilaryCare; now opposes it on both policy & constitutional grounds. Says that Mitt still does not in principle oppose individual mandate.
Much more detailed discussion of many healthcare issue that I cannot accurately represent.
8) These are just a some highlights; maybe around 30% - 40% of the interview I don’t recall in detail in enough to summarize, or I don’t trust myself to transcribe correctly.
9) When the full video is up on some site, I’ll find it & post it both here & on a new thread.
I believe he responded with nearly perfect pitch and has gone a way towards inoculating himself on these issues.
He has addressed the urban legend about the scene with his first wife in the hospital room where she was not dying, did not have cancer, and was not confronted by Gingrich with divorce papers. He was given a chance to explain his remark on Meet the Press which cost him so dear concerning representative Ryan. Finally, as one poster has already noted, Gingrich handled the Nancy Pelosi couch photograph perfectly by simply preempting the matter and admitting it was one of the dumbest things he's ever done. This is a line he is taken on camera recently.
I do not believe that some posters have stated that the panel is adverse to Gingrich with the possible exception of Juan Williams. I think Krauthammer asked questions concerning Iran and Israel which profoundly and personally affected him. I would be very surprised if he was unhappy with the answer he got. As Herman Cain flounders in his scandal, it becomes increasingly clear that Gingrich is the intelligent choice around whom conservatives should rally to head off Romney and ultimately defeat Obama.
Hate to show you to be a fool, but...here is some education for you
“Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) last year financed by Gore’s Alliance for Climate Protection. In it, he said that while he doesn’t always see eye to eye with Pelosi, “we do agree our country must take action to address climate change.”
“Gingrich frequently cites Teddy Roosevelt and his mentor Ronald Reagan, but hes no great fan of the current occupant of the White House. “One of the great failures of the Bush Presidency is the decision not to invest in climate science,” Gingrich said at a roundtable discussion with reporters November 1 at the Williams Club in Manhattan. “Bush could have been a champion for expanding our scientific knowledge.”
“he telling her he was divorcing her on her hospital bed sick with cancer...that is a lie according to Newt”
Please, let’s not continue to perpetuate the lies that the democrats and media have fed us through the years. Please do not be robots, research for yourself, the information is out there. It is not just according to Newt......it is also according to his children and his “terminally ill x-wife, (who incidentally is still alive.) First, she was not “sick with cancer” she had a benign tumor removed, secondly she had asked for and filed for a divorce prior to being admitted to the hospital.
Please ping me to the link when you get it up. Thanks so much
We may disagree with Juan Williams, but he’s no one’s tool. Did you know that he’s been friends with Justice Thomas for many years, and that he’s been a defender of Cain re all the harassment charges? (I’m not a Cain supporter, but not because of the personal stuff.) I know that “honest liberal” might seem like a contradiction, but there are a few exceptions.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.