Skip to comments.Barak downplays 'shadow war' against Iran
Posted on 12/03/2011 9:56:00 AM PST by SmithL
Defense Minister Ehud Barak played down speculation on Saturday that Israel and US-led allies were waging clandestine war on Iran, saying sanctions and the threat of military strikes were still the way to curb its nuclear program.
Barak was asked in an interview whether two explosions in Iran last month showed "the war has already begun" through sabotage.
"I don't think so," he told Channel 2. "I think that the answer to your question is negative."
One of last month's explosions in Iran killed at least a dozen members of the Revolutionary Guards, including a general. Iran called it an accident that occurred while weapons were being moved.
The Iranians have suffered from computer viruses in industrial systems. Several nuclear scientists have been killed or disappeared over the years in what Tehran says were Israeli or US covert operations.
The idea that such operations may have escalated to include spectacular blasts with double-digit death tolls has stirred concern in Israel, where some commentators warned of a possible spillover into reprisals by Iran or its sympathizers abroad.
Barak neither confirmed nor denied that Israel or Western powers were trying to delay Iran's uranium enrichment and missile programs through sabotage. But his remarks signaled doubt in the long-term efficacy of any such tactics.
(Excerpt) Read more at jpost.com ...
As long as things keep blowing up in Iran, I don’t care whether it’s an internal Iranian power struggle or lousy safety practices or Israeli covert action.
The dust and smoke from explosions tends to put the damage into the shadows.