Skip to comments.Gallup: U.S. "1%" Is More Republican, but Not More Conservative (Most have graduate degrees)
Posted on 12/05/2011 1:17:01 PM PST by SeekAndFind
PRINCETON, NJ -- Politically, the wealthiest 1% of Americans -- those in households earning $500,000 or more annually -- are somewhat to the right of the remaining 99%, but more in terms of party identification than self-professed ideology. One-third of the nation's "1%" identify themselves as Republicans, 41% as independents, and 26% as Democrats. This is a mirror image of the "99%," a third of whom are Democrats, with 39% independents and a quarter Republicans.
When the party leanings of independents are taken into account, 57% of the nation's wealthiest adults associate themselves with the Republican Party, compared with 44% of the "99%." At the same time, Gallup polling finds little difference in the two groups' ideological views. Among the very wealthy, 39% say their political views are conservative, 41% call themselves moderate, and 20% liberal, similar to the percentages seen among all others.
The Occupy Wall Street movement has made the contrast between the economic circumstances of the nation's wealthiest 1% and the remaining 99% the focus of its criticism of the nation's economic system, and particularly of the financial services sector.
To better understand who makes up the top 1%, Gallup combined 61 of its nationwide surveys conducted between January 2009 and November 2011. The resulting sample includes nearly 400 adults in households earning $500,000 or more annually, and more than 65,000 in households earning less than that. The official top 1% of American households in 2010 includes those with incomes of at least $516,633, according to data from the Tax Policy Center as reported in The Washington Post.
Advanced Education Separates the 1% From the 99%
(Excerpt) Read more at gallup.com ...
So the only way they could get this figure was by “projecting” the “leanings” of independents.
The power wealthy, meaning the 1% of the 1%, such as Bill Gates, the Packards and their foundation - and just about any other ultra-mega-rich person you can name - are all Democrats.
That 2nd chart makes no sense..
It sure looks to me like when it comes to political ideology, the difference between the so-called “1%” and the “99%” are statistically insignificant.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.