Skip to comments.AFL-CIO chief Trumka rejects White House jobs council report
Posted on 01/18/2012 11:44:54 AM PST by jazusamo
AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka on Wednesday offered a stinging rebuke of the the White House jobs councils latest report.
Trumka, one of two union leaders on the council, said the body is too narrow to provide recommendations to President Obama that are balanced between the interests of business and other groups such as labor.
He specifically took issue with the reports calls for lower corporate taxes and fewer regulations, saying they would not lead to more jobs.
Overall, I disagree that reforming our regulatory system and reducing the statutory corporate tax rate are crucial elements of competitiveness for the United States going forward, nor does empirical evidence support the claim that significant net new job creation would result from such reforms, he said.
The 22-member council consists mainly of chief executives from major companies, including Intel, Procter & Gamble and Southwest Airlines. Trumka and Joe Hansen, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union and chairman of the Change to Win Federation, are the councils only two labor members.
Trumka adopted the rhetoric of the Occupy Wall Street movement in his statement.
The answer lies in the view that we share with so many of our fellow Americans: that our country has become dominated by the interests of the wealthiest 1 percent at the expense of the remaining 99 percent, Trumka said. It turns out that a country run in the interests of the wealthiest 1 percent systematically under-invests in public goods; systematically silences, disempowers, and under-invests in its workers; and in the end is less competitive and creates fewer jobs than a country that focuses on the interests of the 99 percent.
Trumka didnt attend the Tuesday meeting at the White House.
Hansen attended the meeting but abstained from voting on the report.
So, make the minimum wage $1 Million/ hr.
He’s got something to be really mad at since Communist Obama just rejected the pipeline that would create thousands of jobs.
Ubama will listen to his two pinky-ring union buddies before he listens to the other 20 members of his jobs council.
Amen to that!
“This jobs council pushed pipelines for jobs and the word is Obama is shooting KeystoneXL down, doesn’t look like they’re in bed with him.”
Big Labor knew this was coming...and they have a back door to plenty of “stimulus” and other taxpayer funded slush funds.
No, I think this is all a charade—made to look like Hussein is “standing up to his base”, and making the enviromorons happy.
Trumka won’t go broke, nor will his other union stooges. Maybe the South Carolina Boeing plant and the NLRB appointees were Trumka’s “payoff” for this Keystone decision. I don’t know that, but it seems reasonable.
Very good, Frank!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.