Skip to comments.Dick Smith Extends $1m Offer To Defkalion
Posted on 02/16/2012 6:32:21 PM PST by Kevmo
Updated: Dick Smith Extends $1m Offer To Defkalion February 16, 2012
Following Andrea Rossis refusal of Dick Smiths $1m test offer, the Australian Businessman and skeptic has now extended that offer to Defkalion. While a cursory check has been made on his identity, care should be taken until it is confirmed by his office. The offer was made in answer to a question in the eCatNews comments section:
No X price but of course I would be happy to make a similar $1 million offer to Defkalion
It of course will be a waste of time as they are both clearly similar scams.
Already Defkalion have announced that there will be delays in their 7. inderpendent tests because the process of determining testing dates. Will be more time consuming than we thought.
Ha ha. I could have predicted this delay while more investment capital is raised from the gullible.
The independent tests will never happen.
If they want to repeat the demo they gave Sterling Allan with a few simple protocols and they get a COP of at least 3 they can have the money.
If they do agree they will then delay delay delay . I have seen it all before.
While Rossis refusal can be justified (in my opinion) by his claimed plan to mass manufacture the eCat, it will be a little harder to understand Defkalion doing the same. According to the company, it is conducting tests after inviting any credible body to visit and prove the Hyperion for themselves. They further state that the tester will then be free to publish their results.
This means that they have made the strategic decision to prove themselves. Here is a perfect opportunity to do just that. Recently, I have been impressed by DGTs apparent professionalism, all the time aware that they have shown nothing of substance and certainly a lot less than Andrea Rossi.
If they refuse or obfuscate, I would have to finally agree with others and wonder why.
We need to see the offer in official form and then the future of Defkalion lies in what they do next. I hope they grab the opportunity with both hands.
Defkalion GT provisionally accepted Dick Smiths offer. Rightly, they require a formal approach and confirmation of identity. The acceptance is also related to the structure of the tests they are currently setting up. It should be simple for the Australian Skeptics to prove their case with full control and a long enough run using this protocol so, if Dicks offer is genuine, I think he has a real opportunity to break the jam on behalf of the rest of the world.
From Defkalions forum:
So far we have not officially received (through a telephone, letter, fax or e-mail) any such offer published in different sites. If the offer and the donor are real, we will accept the challenge, performing a test under the protocol we have announced in our last Press Release (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=926&start=210).
In case this is a real proposal, we will accept an official letter and a proof of donated funds from a prime bank before any such testing.
Also note that our first independent official tests are starting on 24th of February 2012. DGT
Yes! February 16, 2012
I will let Mr Smith speak for himself
Yes. I am the real Dick Smith and the offer is genuine.
I will contact Defkalion and organize the simple testing protocols. Does anyone have the best email address?
The $1 m must go to an individual- not some big company. That person can then forward it on if they want to.
As I am convinced this is a scam similar to Firepower International ( make sure you look it up on Wikipedia) I I am not prepared to waste money on this until the test conditions have been agreed on.
As with the Rossie challenge the test must be one where the result will be accepted by reasonable people in the scientific community .
I hope the Swedish scientists will be involved. If not I feel sure we can get equivalent independent experts.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to this live on international television- say the U S 60 minutes.
But unfortunately I am convinced that the offer will end up like my offer to Rossi.
They will find some excuse to delay or back out . I have seen it all before!
It has been pointed out that a COP of three would not be high enough to be accepted by the scientific community as LENR.
In that case I will accept the COP minimum that would be accepted or the COP that Defkalion claim they can offer for the tests they are conducting
I want it to be fair for all sides.
As always, this needs to be authenticated but it appears genuine.
The Cold Fusion Ping List
The Cold Fusion Ping List
I was really hoping that Rossi had something, but at this point it’s pretty hard to see him as anything other than a charlatan.
The difference between a charlatan and a crackpot is that one believes in what he’s selling and the other doesn’t. I think Rossi is more on the crackpot side of that continuum.
There is an old adage: The first person the con man convinces is himself.
I was up front and personal on a con, and this was the case. Not always, but it explains a lot of cases.
No, he’s a charlatan. This is not his first scam.
Sponsoring FReepers are contributing
$10 Each time a New Monthly Donor signs up!
Get more bang for your FR buck!
Click Here To Sign Up Now!
Here, let me do it for you:
Unfortunately, if Rossi did the following:
1) hired a bunch of actors to pretend to be the customer reps,
2) created an elaborate year-long special-effects-derived series of demos,
3) bribed, hypnotised or otherwise fooled Focardi, Levi, Kullander, Essen, Bianchini, Stremmenos
4) arranged for Piantelli, Miley and a host of others to try to fool the world into thinking that cold fusion was real,
5) got NASA, SPAWAR, The Defense Threat Reduction Agency and The Defense Intelligence Agency to say nice things about the field,
6) got Bushnell to make a fool of himself,
7) and convinced his former partners to set up another company called Ampenergo to pretend that they had a contract for The Americas for a substantial sum ----- or that they just did this with no proof because they have worked with Rossi and trust him because hes such a fine fellow,
8) sold his profitable company to his ex-partners in order to spend that wealth on a multi-million dollar scam; ----- certain that once he got all the above ducks in a row he would pretend to sell the first device ----- and then reel in the true target of his dastardly plan
9) and convinced a bunch of Greek crooks to set up a dummy company called Defkalion ----- to pretend to fight with him over the non-existent eCat, ----- to perpetuate the illusion and spin it off into a competing mirror-scam
[the second (this time genuine) buyer of a 1MW plant that will net him $2 million dollars ----- until they want their money back or sucker a $100 million dollar deal under the table ----- because he has experience in pulling the wool over all these idiotic eyes ----- and knows that they will just take his word for it ----- and not want to test if his 1MW plant can heat a small village without truckloads of coal or oil or a big fat electric cable coming into the container from beneath the floor (no you cant lift the carpet!) ]
10) and that, in order to pull this off, Rossi had to risk discovery by interviewing all the people he subsequently fooled so that he could only invite the gullible Professors and not the brilliant anonymous posters on the Internet who surely would have found him out
then, yes, all bets are off and Im with the guys who think that Rossi is an idiot and they are all geniuses.
Is that where George Costanza got "it's not a lie if you believe it's true?"
Should we thank Kevmo for the compliment?
1) hired a bunch of actors to pretend to be the customer reps,There was only one "customer rep" of any note, who Rossi claimed was a "NATO Colonel and engineer" named Domenico Fioravanti. No one has been able to find a shred of evidence that there is any such person. No NATO records, no menbership in any professional organizations, no references to schools or degrees, no newspaper clippings, no nothing. It certainly appears that there is no such "NATO Colonel and engineer".
2) created an elaborate year-long special-effects-derived series of demos,Yup, that's a very good description of what Rossi did last year. The fact that he absolutely refuses to allow anyone to have any access to an E-Cat now strongly suggests that one or more of the "tricks" he used to fake his results has been figured out, and would be obvious on any new examination. Rossi just refused to accept $1 million to simply duplicate an earlier test.
3) bribed, hypnotised or otherwise fooled Focardi, Levi, Kullander, Essen, Bianchini, StremmenosIt's looking more and more like there are going to be some very embarassed and throughly discredited LENR researchers, but the final results aren't in yet.
Note that Kullander promised to have a "detailed isotopic analysis" of the Nickel reactant from Rossi's E-Cat "in time for Christmas". That would have gone a long way towards either proving or disproving Rossi's claims.
We're still waiting.
4) arranged for Piantelli, Miley and a host of others to try to fool the world into thinking that cold fusion was real,This is the biggest fallacy among the "True Believers". Even if LENR is real (and I believe that there is something there, but in 25 years, no one has managed to prove it's more than a laboratory oddity), it doesn't mean that Rossi is legitimate. "Cold Fusion" is an area ripe for con men. Everyone has heard of it, but nobody understands it (not even the "experts"; note that none of them can use a theory to predict what a LENR reactor will do), and there is the promise of vast wealth for whoever can make it work. It's the absolute ideal environment for a con artist.
5) got NASA, SPAWAR, The Defense Threat Reduction Agency and The Defense Intelligence Agency to say nice things about the field,"Saying nice things" is hardly proof of anything. NASA tried to give Rossi a sympathetic hearing, but Rossi wouldn't or couldn't make his gadget work for them. Perhaps he feared that the NASA reps wouldn't be as gullible as the LENR researchers?
6) got Bushnell to make a fool of himself,If Rossi is a fraud (as is becoming more clear all the time), there will be a lot of "experts" who will be shown to be fools.
7) and convinced his former partners to set up another company called Ampenergo to pretend that they had a contract for The Americas for a substantial sum ----- or that they just did this with no proof because they have worked with Rossi and trust him because hes such a fine fellow,Ampenergo has been shut down. Their business record in New Hampshire was made inactive just months after it was created. Their pathetic web site is still up, but their email server rejects any emails with a "permanent delivery failure".
8) sold his profitable company to his ex-partners in order to spend that wealth on a multi-million dollar scam; ----- certain that once he got all the above ducks in a row he would pretend to sell the first device ----- and then reel in the true target of his dastardly planThat "first device" is still sitting, unused, in his warehouse. There is no sign of Rossi actually selling an E-Cat. Note that three months ago, he was claiming delivery of the Megawatt E-Cat "in three months", which means that his first customers should be receiving them now. There's no sign of any deliveries, nor of any customers who are unhappy that they haven't received their E-Cats.
9) and convinced a bunch of Greek crooks to set up a dummy company called Defkalion ----- to pretend to fight with him over the non-existent eCat, ----- to perpetuate the illusion and spin it off into a competing mirror-scamThis one is still interesting. Defkalion has been talking a good game recently, but they still haven't actually done anything beyond posting messages on their web site. They are claiming that they will begin independent testing on 2/24, so we will see how that goes. If they really do this, then the whole world changes. If they find some excuse not to really do this (such as dueling lawsuits with Rossi), then they are almost certainly just another fraud.
Note that there has already been at least one attempt to create a "competing mirror-scam". Kevmo posted an article about "Aussie Guy" who was claiming that Rossi was legit (LINK). But it turned out that Aussie Guy was really a well-known con man himself (LINK).
[the second (this time genuine) buyer of a 1MW plant that will net him $2 million dollars As stated above, there is still no actual evidence that Rossi has sold anything other than "franchises". The 1MW plant still sits, unused, in Rossi's warehouse.
10) and that, in order to pull this off, Rossi had to risk discovery by interviewing all the people he subsequently fooled so that he could only invite the gullible There is plenty of evidence that Rossi was careful about who he allowed to watch his tests, and under what conditions. Jed Rothwell had been invited to "investigate" a test, but the offer was rescinded when Rothwell insisted on bringing his own test equipment. Rossi refused to demonstrate his gadget to NASA or Quantum, once he found out that they were insisting on a serious investigation instead of the "dog & pony" shows he normally put on.
Oops! Forgot to close the link. Oh, well, it doesn’t effect the content.
Heres my standard ignore post to Johnny B.
This will be my standard post to you that says youre not worth trying to have reasonable discussion, also says buzz off & doesnt leave crickets. Youve proven youre just here to harass; you have demonstrated that you are not here to discuss things on a level that Free Republic intended.
So... this isn’t even a Rossi thread and you seagulls post stuff about Rossi just so you can leave your ‘business’ behind.
Heres my standard ignore post to Johnny B.I find it amusing that you continue to ignore me, even though you appear to be coming to the realization that your pathological defense of Rossi has been given to, in your own word, a "crackpot".