Skip to comments.Why Are You Gun Nuts So "Paranoid" About President Obama?
Posted on 03/02/2012 5:36:28 AM PST by marktwain
Im really really getting tired of the whole gun nuts are paranoid about President Obama meme that the antis are pushing. And pushing. And pushing. The latest culprit is Pat Wray, a columnist for the High Country News who wrote in a piece titled A Conversation I Am Looking Forward To Having With The NRA:
"So, even when President Obama does exactly what you guys want, signs laws that you had a hand in writing, you still don't give him credit. Did all of you intern at Pravda, or what? Here's what I think. I am truly worried about gun control. I've been in Great Britain and Australia and Canada and talked with the people there who've had their guns taken away. I know it can be done and there are people here who want to do the same thing. That's why I'm a life member of the NRA. But the way the NRA demonizes the President and creates crises where there are none is abhorrent to me."
That "you guys" Pat is referring to would be anyone with an I.Q. above room temperature who had been paying the slightest bit of attention, because Obamas actions as a legislator spoke volumes about his feelings on the gun issue. Senator Obamas statements on the campaign trail werent any more reassuring. For example:
* Obama opposed a bill in the Illinois legislature which would have protected homeowners from weapons charges if they used an illegal gun in self-defense.
* In a primary debate in 2008, Obama the candidate stated that the second amendment confers an individual right, BUT (theres always but where the second amendment is concerned) the fact that it is an individual right does not mean that the state or local government cant constrain the exercise of that right. In addition, for a supposed constitutional scholar to state that the Bill of Rights confers rights, rather than protects pre-existing rights is also worrisome.
* When running for the Illinois senate in 1996, Obama most assuredly did fill out a questionnaire (despite his later claims that a staffer did it) in which he unequivocally supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns, a ban on the possession of assault weapons and waiting periods before purchasing a firearm.
* Need I mention the whole bitter clingers episode?
* Although he claimed to respect the second amendment, he also said that the D.C. gun ban (banning all handguns and operable long guns) was constitutional. When pressed for his rationale, he said there was nothing wrong with a community establishing their own reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure[s] while still respecting the second amendment. Did you catch that? A complete ban is his idea of a reasonable gun control measure.
* In the Illinois legislature, he supported licensing and registering gun owners as a measure to keep unlawful guns off the street. This purported constitutional scholar was apparently unaware that the supreme court has ruled that criminals dont need to register (and cant be punished for failing to register) their guns because it would be a violation of their right against self-incrimination.
* In 2000 Obama cosponsored a bill to limit gun purchases to one per month and in 2003 he voted in favor of HB 2579 which had the same one gun per month provision.
* According to a Chicago Defender article in December of 1999, Obama is proposing to make it a felony for a gun owner whose firearm was stolen from his residence which causes harm to another person if that weapon was not securely stored in that home.
* At an NAACP forum in 2007 Obama stated Weve got to make sure that unscrupulous gun dealers arent loading up vans and dumping guns in our communities, because we know theyre not made in our communities. What?!? Is that what he really thinks? That federally licensed gun dealers are loading up vehicles and selling guns out of the back in inner cities?
* In the Illinois senate he supported a confiscatory assault weapons ban which would have included semi-auto shotguns and even some pump, double and single barrel shotguns.
* As a Presidential candidate he called for passage of H.R. 6257, deceptively titled Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008″ which would have explicitly banned far more weapons than the Clinton AWB.
* As a Senator, Obama voted against prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers and voted in favor of an amendment to that bill which would have banned most rifle ammunition, under the guise of banning armor-piercing ammunition.
* As a Senator Obama did not sign the amicus brief supporting the individual rights view in Heller v. DC.
* Obama voted to ban gun stores within five miles of a school or park, which would have eliminated most gun stores in America.
* He supported legislation to close the gun show loophole which would have imprisoned show organizers if a single person at a show offered a gun for sale privately.
* As a Senator, Obama stated he supported a federal ban on concealed carry laws and as a Presidential candidate he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review I am not in favor of concealed weapons, Obama said. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations.
Barack Obamas actions as President have done nothing to change our perceptions, either. On his first day in office, on the White House website, under Urban Policy we found this gem posted:
"Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent."
See above regarding how little the Obama AWB resembled the Clinton-era AWB. When he talks about keeping guns away from children, what hes really talking about are various blue-sky proposals to make guns childproof.
And who can forget the Obama Administrations employment questionnaire Question 59: Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.
Once Obama had settled into power, there were more indicators of his anti-gun feelings:
§ In March, 2009 the DoD revised its policy on the disposal of once-fired brass. Instead of selling it to consumers and domestic agencies for reloading, all once-fired brass from the military would be shredded and sold as scrap. This policy was reversed fairly quickly after outraged shooters contacted their legislators and Senators Tester and Baucus (both D-MT) faxed a letter to the DoD asking them to change the policy. The fact that Senator Tester was Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee might have had something to do with the quickvolte-face.
§ The DHS report, Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment [.pdf] which cited as a key finding: The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks.
§ In April of 2009, President Obama announced he wanted the Senate to ratify the Inter-American Convention Against The Illicit Manufacturing Of And Trafficking In Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, And Other Related Materials(called by its Spanish acronym of CIFTA for obvious reasons). A close look at the Definitions section of the treaty reveals that it would require a government license for the manufacture or assembly of firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials. That doesnt sound too bad, right? I mean we sort of have that now, dont we? But the devil, as they say, is in the details. Or, in this case, the definitions, because the way theyre written, you could be required to get a government license to reload ammo, add or change out a scope on a rifle, replace a factory trigger with an upgraded one, or even so much as load a weapon. Preposterous you say? Look at how they define other related materials. Go ahead, Ill wait. Back? Okay, when they say any component, part, or replacement part of a firearm, or an accessory which can be attached to a firearm you think an anti-gun administration wouldnt say that applies to magazines and ammo? So technically putting rounds in a mag or a mag in a weapon would constitute assembly which would require a license. So how much will the license cost? What will the application process be? Will it be shall-issue or may-issue? How long will it be good for? How much will it cost to renew? All of these details could be used to drastically reduce gun ownership.
§ The Obama administration reversed a decision to import over 800,000 surplus M-1 rifles and carbines from South Korea. Not only are these weapons of some historical significance, but their arrival on the market would reduce prices on these sorts of weapons, at least in the relatively short term. The rationale (or perhaps rationalization would be a better term) given to the South Korean government for the decision was that the administration was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions. Well that tells us something interesting. Since all of these rifles would have been sold through FFLs, the Obama administration is saying they believe every firearm sale in the country could put guns in the hands of terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions. And they call us paranoid.
§ Under the Obama administration, the CDC did an end-run around the decade-old prohibition on performing research on gun control issues by maintaining they were not researching the gun issue, rather they deal with the surrounding web of circumstances. When Republicans in Congress questioned why money was being spent on these sorts of studies, an NIH spokesman replied Gun-related violence is a public health problem it diverts considerable health care resources away from other problems and, therefore, is of interest to NIH. But wait, arent you supposed to do the studies before you come to the conclusion that guns have a net negative impact on public health? See, coming to conclusions and then ginning up research to support them is what got Congress to implement the ban in the first place.
§ Fast & Furious and the whole 90% of illegal weapons in Mexico come from the U.S. with the subsequent unlawful and unconstitutional long gun sales reporting requirement implemented by the ATF via bureaucratic fiat. And please, dont even try to say But Bush did it first! Under oath, Attorney General Holder stated that he would not equate F&F with Operation Wide Receiver. Among other things, under OWR the ATF informed the Mexicans when, where and in what kind of car guns were crossing the border while under F&F not only were the Mexicans kept in the dark, the ATF liaison officers in Mexico were kept in the dark.
§ Under the Obama administration the ATF suddenly reversed a forty-two year old ruling, stating that [t]he temporary assignment of a firearm by an FFL to its unlicensed agents, contractors, volunteers, or any other person who is not an employee of the FFL, even for bona fide business purposes, is a transfer or disposition for purposes of the Gun Control Act which then requires that the transfer be processed by an FFL, complete with NICS check and a 4473, lengthening the transfer process considerably.
§ In an op-ed for the Arizona Star, Obama capitalized on the Tucson shooting, calling for more gun control. Except he didnt call it gun control, he called it sound and effective steps that will actually keep those irresponsible, law-breaking few from getting their hands on a gun in the first place.
§ Then there was this piece in the Huffington Post in which Obama admitted that he could not achieve gun control through legislation, so only executive orders or administrative actions and not an actual bill are expected to be handed to Congress. What was it Bill Clintons aide said? Stroke of the pen. Law of the land. Kinda cool. Yeah, who needs that whole work within constitutional limits stuff anyway, right?
So the next time some ignorant anti says But Obama hasnt done anything on gun control . . . why are you so paranoid? give them chapter and verse. Not that facts ever make much of an impression on hoplophobes.
Basically because we were paranoid about King George III too. We dared call it conspiracy.
Why Are You Gun Nuts So “Paranoid” About President Obama?
I think that was the rant about Hitler also.
Dictators tend to have that effect on people.
Actually, President Obama has been the greatest single firearms salesman in the history of the planet.
Everyone except 90% of blacks, homosexuals, and communist are paranoid about Obama. And, those groups are just naive.
...since he has presided over the greatest increase in gun ownership by Americans in history. Concealed carry has skyrocketed, and heavens knows how many Americans are claiming their 2nd amendment rights and are packing without anyone knowing....
And it ain’t over.........
Lock and load, boys and girls.
Obama is anti individual liberty.
And all of us individual liberty nuts take that seriously.
He just got done trashing individual religious liberty, and this idiot thinks he’s OK with armed citizens?
Basically, we understand that 0bama is a communist at heart,
and surrounds himself with communists,
and his “hope” for “change” is that he can “fundamentally transform” our country to communism.
And that transformation cannot happen without using violence on us to do so. It’s one of the core tenets of communism, and historically proven, that “the revolution” MUST be violent in order to purge or intimidate all opposition.
Yes, we’re gonna keep our guns.
ANTI-TRUTH and SPIN SQUAD in action.
It’s not “paranoia” when he and his cronies really ARE out to get us!
It’s healthy distrust.
Which, sadly, is fully 50%+ of the country.
Now, if you wanna know who got kicked off the Survivor Island................
“Why Are You Gun Nuts So “Paranoid” About President Obama?”
Wannabe dictators don’t want their victims shooting back.
Maybe it sees history repeating?
If all the non-gun-nuts were as "paranoid" of Obama, the US would be in a lot better shape today. Well, a little better shape, given that the alternative was Juan "Lettuce" McPantsStain.