Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

GOP Targets Child Tax Break for Illegal Immigrants ^

Posted on 03/05/2012 7:48:00 AM PST by kcvl

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republicans are looking to stop illegal immigrants from claiming federal child tax credits, including refund checks averaging $1,800. It's an effort that has roused anger among Hispanics and some Democratic lawmakers.

The proposal would require people who claim the credit to have Social Security numbers as proof that they're legal workers. It's being offered as a way to help pay for extending the Social Security tax cut for most American wage-earners.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada says the proposal unfairly goes after the children of poor Hispanic workers. Such kids often are U.S. citizens because they were born in this country. On the other side, Republicans and some Democrats say it's silly to even debate whether the government should be cutting checks to illegal immigrants.

(Excerpt) Read more at ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: aliens; sourcetitlenoturl
"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada says the proposal unfairly goes after the children of poor (ILLEGAL) Hispanic workers."
1 posted on 03/05/2012 7:48:03 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kcvl

It’s time to clean up all this handouts including to illegals.

2 posted on 03/05/2012 7:51:17 AM PST by Logical me
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

A convicted murderer awaiting trial in the Los Angeles County jail system had family cash $30,000 in unemployment checks, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Anthony Garcia’s father and two girlfriends reportedly cashed those checks, $1,600 a month, and also deposited money in his jail account and that of other gang members.


3 posted on 03/05/2012 7:51:27 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Logical me

2/24/2012 6:00:00 AM
Kingman Letter: Tax credits for illegal aliens

In the past few days there has been a lot of noise from Democrats, especially Harry Reid, about the Republicans’ plan to deny child tax credits to illegal aliens.

The Treasury Department has said that in 2010 more than $4 billion in child credit refunds went to 2.3 million people who filed tax returns, but did not have Social Security numbers proving they were citizens or legal workers in the United States. That is four times what it was five years ago.

You wonder why our country is going broke. All you have to do to collect all “the goodies” the Americans are willing to give away to illegal aliens is to cross our border (which is so easy that thousands do it every month). More and more illegal aliens are now filing tax returns claiming this refundable credit, which they are not legally entitled to.

The Republicans want to tighten eligibility by requiring those who claim this federal credit to have Social Security numbers to prove they are legal workers. The Democrats say this is unfair to the illegal aliens. Excuse me. What part of this makes any sense? We, the United States of America, are broke. We do not have the money to take care of our own citizens yet the Democrats want to keep giving our hard earned tax money to illegal aliens.

That makes as much sense as the Obama Administration stopping the Keystone Pipeline. After all, that would only have given jobs to about 20 thousand out of work legal American citizens, kept our fuel costs from rising to prices the economy cannot afford and kept the United States from contributing to the wealth of our enemies.

Sandee Samoska


4 posted on 03/05/2012 7:52:39 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: kcvl
It`s something that never should have happened in the first place...PhotobucketSTOP IT NOW!!!!
5 posted on 03/05/2012 7:55:46 AM PST by NCDave (AKA, "That idiot over there")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: kcvl
How the HELL is it Constitutional to give benefits to NON-CITIZENS?

America needs a do-over.

6 posted on 03/05/2012 8:06:01 AM PST by traditional1 (Don't gotsta worry 'bout no mo'gage, don't gotsta worry 'bout no gas; Obama gonna take care o' me!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: NCDave
Illegal Aliens Got $4.2 Billion in Refundable Tax Credits Last Year

The Internal Revenue Service allowed undocumented workers to collect $4.2 billion in refundable tax credits last year, a new audit says, almost quadruple the sum five years ago.

The IRS said it lacks the authority to disallow the claims.


7 posted on 03/05/2012 8:06:41 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Logical me

Wage earners who do not have Social Security numbers and are not authorized to work in the United States can use what the IRS calls individual taxpayer identification numbers. Often these result in fraudulent claims on tax returns, auditors found.

Their data showed that 72 percent of returns filed with taxpayer identification numbers claimed the child tax credit.

The audit recommended that the IRS seek clarification on the law and check the immigration status of filers with taxpayer indentificaion numbers.

IRS officials, in response to a draft of the report, agreed to consult with the Treasury Department on the law. But they said they have no legal authority to demand that filers prove their legal status when the tax agency processes returns.

8 posted on 03/05/2012 8:08:16 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: traditional1
The $4.2 billion amount is a dramatic increase from $924 million in 2005. According to the audit, 72 percent of people who used a taxpayer identification number to file taxes last year claimed the child tax credit, up from 51 percent in 2005. Comparatively, just 14 percent of those who filed regular tax returns last year claimed the credit.

According to the Washington Post, the explosion in claims is due in part to tax law changes that reduced the number of children required to claim the credit. Additionally, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 also made the refund easier to get.


9 posted on 03/05/2012 8:11:16 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: kcvl

This is OLD news from 2/08, and since then the GOP CAVED and gave up all attempts to yank this disgraceful tax giveaway. Weepy John strikes again!

10 posted on 03/05/2012 8:11:45 AM PST by montag813
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: kcvl
11 posted on 03/05/2012 8:12:48 AM PST by NCDave (AKA, "That idiot over there")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: traditional1

Advocacy group helps illegal immigrants get tax refunds, even those with bogus social security cards

A Manhattan group is helping illegal immigrants recoup unclaimed state tax refunds – even if they used fake Social Security numbers to work.

The ***Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project got back thousands for a dozen undocumented New Yorkers who overpaid.

***Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project


NEDAP is a resource and advocacy center for community groups in New York City. Our mission is to promote community economic justice and to eliminate discriminatory economic practices that harm communities and perpetuate inequality and poverty.

We envision a just and sustainable world, in which all people live in safe, thriving, healthy communities. We believe that fundamental change is necessary to attain that world.

12 posted on 03/05/2012 8:15:22 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Board of Directors

Oda Friedheim
The Legal Aid Society

Catherine Lifeso, President
Securities & Exchange Commission

Raun J. Rasmussen, Secretary
Legal Services NYC

Advisory Board

Pablo DeFilippi
National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions

Debby Goldberg
National Fair Housing Alliance

Deanne Loonin
National Consumer Law Center

13 posted on 03/05/2012 8:19:03 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: kcvl
Folks here on H1B, student and other visas also use the TIN for whatever purposes are required ~ just like it's a social security number.

I'm curious how the IRS auditors determine the difference between visa holders and illegal aliens simply by looking at an income tax filing.

Anyone have a clue?

14 posted on 03/05/2012 8:19:27 AM PST by muawiyah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: muawiyah

They don’t because they said they didn’t have the authority to determine citizenship. But they have the authority to fine you for THEIR MISTAKES on LEGAL CITIZENS returns. Go figure!

15 posted on 03/05/2012 8:28:43 AM PST by kcvl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: kcvl

Great idea, no tax breaks for non valid or non holders of a S.S. number. Along with E-verify on job hiring, it’s a way to cut off the gravy train for illegals. I hope the House Republicans hang tough on this.

16 posted on 03/05/2012 9:05:42 AM PST by RicocheT (Eat the rich only if you're certain it's your last meal)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: muawiyah

H1B visa holders and any other visa holder entitled to work gets a social security number. Their dependents would get and H4B and a TIN# to be claimed by the H1B holder.

17 posted on 03/05/2012 9:53:11 AM PST by free me (heartless)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: free me
It's the same as a Social Security number, but I know an H1B holder who had hers converted to a social security number when she was approved for immigration. H1B is not a permanent visa.

I think what we have here are IRS auditors pulling a couple of dozen cases in a validation audit and finding more than the previously understood number of errors. It's a quality control problem ~ not a full blown statistical sample.

18 posted on 03/05/2012 11:50:20 AM PST by muawiyah
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: muawiyah

All visa holders authorized to work in the USA must get a ss# NOT a tin#:

As soon as you arrive in the US on a work visa, you must get a Social Security Number (SSN) immediately. The SSN is required for the following purposes:

Working in the U.S.
Getting Social Security benefits, and,
Receiving some other government services

Remember that your SSN is not an identification number. You must protect your SSN like other important papers such as salary slips, passport, I-797, etc. You are not required to show your Social Security card everywhere and you must not carry the card with you. Initially you will need the SSN to work in the U.S., open a bank account, and obtain benefits from U.S. agencies. Since it is a unique number consider as your own ‘tracking number’. The Social Security number is used by the Internal Revenue Service as an identifier in processing your tax returns. You will also need it to apply for a drivers license, phone, internet, or cable connection.
Why should I apply for the SSN?

You must apply for the SSN. Merely getting the H1B visa is not enough. Without a social security number you are not allowed to legally work in the U.S. The SSN is a unique number given by the social security administration (SSA). Every individual is required to be registered with government by law. Your social security number is a 9 digit number made up of 3 parts called the AREA (XXX), GROUP (XX), and SERIAL (XXXX). The first 3 digits represent the state where you applied it. The other parts are unique.
Why is it important to keep the Social Security Number private?

Your Social Security number is frequently used as an identification number to access many computer databases like your bank account, credit report, tax information, etc. As such it is like your complete life sketch. Anyone with your SSN can access all your personal and professional information. Hence there is a risk of fraud and anyone can use your SSN to access your bank account, credit accounts, utilities records, and other important information. Therefore you must protect your SSN.
How to get the SSN?

Getting the SSN is a simple procedure.

Go to the nearest SSA office,
Fill up an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
Show original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency proving your immigration status [including a work permit by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) ], passport, identity card (ID)
Get a receipt
Receive the SSN in 2-3 weeks via mail on your residence address.

On the H1B visa you are an immigrant to the country and not a citizen. You will be asked for the following papers by the Social Security:

Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).

19 posted on 03/05/2012 1:18:42 PM PST by free me (heartless)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson