Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gingrich vows to press on after losing AL, MS
Boston Hearld ^ | 14 March 2012 | APes

Posted on 03/14/2012 6:56:08 AM PDT by Vigilanteman

Since this is an AP wire, I believe we are allowed to post links only, right?


TOPICS: Front Page News; Politics/Elections; US: Alabama; US: Mississippi
KEYWORDS: ego; mitt; newt; newt4romney; santorum
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-85 last
To: Mr. K

Mr. K wrote:
<<
Newt in the race keeps Romney from getting to the prize before the convention.

if newt drops out some of his support will go to Romney as well as Santorum

This way it proves 70% want someone MORE CONSERVATIVE THAN Romney

Romney is almost certain NOT TO win before the convention now, because he would have to get wins by close to 50% to sew it up. Which he has never done.

I hope Newt and Rick team up at the convention
>>

************************************************************

I agree. Even though I continue to back Santorum, I have no qualms with Gingrich remaining in the race. For one thing, I see no polling data showing concrete evidence that Santorum would get all of Gingrich’s votes if Newt were to drop out. As a matter of fact, Rasmussen showed the races in Michigan and Ohio would’ve still been very tight had it been strictly a head-to-head contest between Santorum and Romney.

Santorum and Gingrich are both limited financially, but Newt can help make up the difference with his ability to generate headlines and free media coverage by landing sharp verbal zingers against Romney. There’s no question Gingrich’s primary mission at this point is to do whatever he can to block Romney from getting the nomination and I’m all for it. If Santorum and Gingrich work together, it’ll be extremely difficult for Romney to get to 1,144 delegates even with his giant warchest and solid GOP establishment backing. I would rather have this race go to a brokered convention than have Romney and the GOP establishment succeed in buying and manipulating their way to the nomination.


51 posted on 03/14/2012 10:03:54 AM PDT by DestroyLiberalism
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Steelfish

I saw the john king count with the map twice last night, and it is very telling. Also king is quick and smart, and didn’t sound too biased at the time either. In fact, CNN is far less annoying. They are not all about “how this is great for Romney” which is how fox views every story.

Anyway, if we don’t want romney, we need to urge Gingrich to step aside.

If anyone can find a vid (I tried and failed) of king and his scenarios, it would help those not convinced that newt is hurting our cause. It’s our only chance. Brokered convention will not happen, and with newt in, Romney is very very likely to win.


52 posted on 03/14/2012 10:11:44 AM PDT by Yaelle (Santorum 2012 - we need a STEADY conservative President)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: St_Thomas_Aquinas

“In Newt’s interviews last night, I saw hints that he may drop out before the next big winner-take-all primary.”

In your dreams. I didn’t see anything like that.


53 posted on 03/14/2012 10:37:57 AM PDT by Bizhvywt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman

Sorry, Vigil,
I’m a Newt fan & if he wasn’t in I would seriously consider Paul or Romney before Rick Sanctimonious.


54 posted on 03/14/2012 10:41:44 AM PDT by vidbizz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: Steelfish

I just wonder if it was the other way around and Santorum won two states would the Newt people be so easy going about this.


55 posted on 03/14/2012 11:14:29 AM PDT by napscoordinator (A moral principled Christian with character is the frontrunner! Congrats Santorum!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: Berlin_Freeper

21 debates were more than enough. There is another debate next week and hopefully that is it. Newt and Rick just debated a few days ago. Enough is enough.


56 posted on 03/14/2012 11:23:17 AM PDT by napscoordinator (A moral principled Christian with character is the frontrunner! Congrats Santorum!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: Steelfish

Gingrich is the wrong candidate on three accounts with the last one being the driver of the other two.

1) Newt’s ideological infidelities and erraticacies on public positions have repeatedly taken a number of liberal turns: Global Warming, Individual Healthcare Mandate, Soft Policy on Illegal Immigration are some of the best and clearest examples of such. Some have said that these positions were forgivable as just political posturing. However Newt has never renounced his support for any of these hardcore liberal issues. Further, the very spectacles that he has been involved with on them have been high profile and damaging to the Conservative movements efforts to stop/block them in policy and public opinion as well as damaging to the Republican Party.

2) Newt’s personal infidelities and erraticacies, though easily forgiven in light of his renewed/reinvented commitment to God. (I say reinvented because I don’t doubt his original or current redeemed status with Christ. He was just showing why we all need Christ so bad. I am worse than he was.) Nonetheless, they drive away a significant portion of voters who will not return and vote for him ever. These voters are not going to be swayed by either reason or passion in defense of Newt or against Obama. Their numbers are large enough to turn this election and down ballot races over to Obama and the Democrats. Thus, he is not only unelectable he is damaging to efforts to take the Senate and possibly to keeping the House.

3) Newt’s ego which has caused and/or contributed to the previous two problems. He is convinced that he is always the smartest man in the room. Newt thinks he can manage both enemies and public opinion like some grand puppet master. He is dead wrong. While he has a powerful intellect and a studied mind often our opponents are able to outmaneuver and take advantage of Newt’s overreach. Newt’s overconfidence in his own intellect and personal abilities often turns to arrogance and errors in judgment. This kind of mistake and overreach which Newt has exhibited could have deadly or even globally catastrophic consequences in dealing with foreign affairs. What would been the result of Newt’s “I’m so smart that I’ll surrender that issue to you because I can gain it back later” style as compared to Reagan’s head-on no nonsense, calling evil evil, set the rules and go forward style in dealing with the Russians? Disaster, that’s what.

Thus either Newt has a proclivity to liberal issues or he is cynical to think that he can pretend to be liberal on certain issues because he feels that he can ride a superficial wave of public confusion on the issues. He is permanently wed to bad behavior in the public sentiment in a way that he cannot simply divorce and move on. He is hopelessly and caustically entangled in a host of liberal issues despite his admitted brilliance on other issues. Newt must get out or be completely exposed because he is not going to be the president or the nominee but he is going cause the nomination of Mitt Romney and possibly the reelection of Barak Hussein Obama if he does not get now.


57 posted on 03/14/2012 11:48:48 AM PDT by GulfBreeze (Still a Santorum guy !)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 50 | View Replies]

To: GulfBreeze
I'd like to say that it is refreshing that both Santorum and Newt supporters have been civil with each other on this thread, and have stuck to arguments based on reason and facts and not ad homenin attacks.
58 posted on 03/14/2012 11:56:13 AM PDT by disraeligears (How was the CREAM Madison Square Garden Concert?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 57 | View Replies]

To: Anitius Severinus Boethius

Actually, many states such as both Alabama and Mississippi become winner takes all if a candidate can get above 50%. In your scenario, Santorum would have swept all 47 of Alabama’s delagates and Romney would have been blanked.

Furthermore, in my state of IL, people will vote for Newt if he is in the race. In a poll on Sunday by the Chicago Tribune, Mitt had 35%, Rick had 31% and Newt had 12%. Newt is still attracting votes here, and Newt is coming to Chicago today, so it is not hard to see why.


59 posted on 03/14/2012 11:58:26 AM PDT by LovedSinner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: St_Thomas_Aquinas

“Newt should drop out for the sake of conservatism. Conservative Republicans have spoken, and they want Rick.”

I agree.


60 posted on 03/14/2012 12:31:26 PM PDT by MichaelCorleone (Stop feeding the beast; spend money only with those who support traditional American values.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Mr. K

Beckel just said on The Five that he knew “for a fact that ‘they’ went to Adelson and asked him to stop giving Newt any more money”.

Gettin’ dirty in the drive to eliminate Newt, folks. He scares the status quo way too much.

He’d be great for the republic.


61 posted on 03/14/2012 2:47:16 PM PDT by llandres (Forget the "New America" - restore the original one!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: AlwaysFrosty

“If Newt joins forces with Rick then I can admit I was wrong, but until then I’m thinking that Newt’s desire to stay in can only be to help Mitt.”

Newt really believes he’s the best one for the country (which he is), he badly wants to win this, and there’s some pretty obvious bad blood between him and Mittens over MR’s dirty tactics which threw him for a loop in the FL debates. His eyes were flashing with genuine anger over that.


62 posted on 03/14/2012 2:58:46 PM PDT by llandres (Forget the "New America" - restore the original one!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: Yaelle

that makes absolutely no sense at all, except to Santorum supporters


63 posted on 03/14/2012 3:35:27 PM PDT by Mr. K (If Romney wins the primary, I am writing-in PALIN)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 48 | View Replies]

To: napscoordinator

“Newt and Rick just debated a few days ago. Enough is enough.”

No, they didn’t debate. It was a “forum” where they were onstage separately, Santorum going first. And to my calculations, Santorum took up more than half the time. Newt wasn’t on all that long.

What’s wrong with debates? The bulk of the previous ones had so many candidates that some got hardly any time at all. At best, there were only 30 second and 1 minute soundbites. Debates would be most interesting now that there are only three (Ron Paul doesn’t always want to participate).

I find that people learn a little more with each debate.


64 posted on 03/14/2012 3:55:44 PM PDT by llandres (Forget the "New America" - restore the original one!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

To: napscoordinator

“Newt and Rick just debated a few days ago. Enough is enough.”

No, they didn’t debate. It was a “forum” where they were onstage separately, Santorum going first. And to my calculations, Santorum took up more than half the time. Newt wasn’t on all that long.

What’s wrong with debates? The bulk of the previous ones had so many candidates that some got hardly any time at all. At best, there were only 30 second and 1 minute soundbites. Debates would be most interesting now that there are only three (Ron Paul doesn’t always want to participate).

I find that people learn a little more with each debate.


65 posted on 03/14/2012 4:02:12 PM PDT by llandres (Forget the "New America" - restore the original one!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman; Berlin_Freeper

There’s going to be a debate on March 19th:

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012/03/march-19-gop-debate-details-released-from-oregon-public-broadcasting/


66 posted on 03/14/2012 10:10:34 PM PDT by Lauren BaRecall (I declare for Santorum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 38 | View Replies]

To: llandres; napscoordinator; LibsRJerks; Lazlo in PA; writer33

We’re having another debate:

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012/03/march-19-gop-debate-details-released-from-oregon-public-broadcasting/


67 posted on 03/14/2012 10:19:51 PM PDT by Lauren BaRecall (I declare for Santorum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 64 | View Replies]

To: Mr. K
Yeah. Newt is the genuine definition of a winner. Just look at all that winning he has been doing.

Newt Purple, Rick Green, Milt Orange and Paul Yellow

Is this the strategy he plans on using to take on Obama in the General?

68 posted on 03/14/2012 10:50:26 PM PDT by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: LibsRJerks
Look, I know she’s abhorent ...but to me, this picture does not condemn Newt to me like it does so many others.

It should if you are a Conservative. That couch those two are sitting on was paid for by AL GORE. Look into who "WE" is and what they are about. It is a Gore Leftist group running on the flawed premise of Man Made Global Warming proven to be a hoax. The rest of your argument about clean air, clean water and fluffy puppies is a straw man. No one is calling for the opposite and there are no Love Canals around that you can point to where we need the "All work together".

You are buying into the flawed premise that the Left has been trying to sell for decades much like Newt has. This philosophy kills people. Look no further than the folks dying because the effective DDT was outlawed thanks to the Environmentalists bible by Rachael Carson "Silent Spring".


69 posted on 03/14/2012 11:17:55 PM PDT by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 39 | View Replies]

To: VRWC For Truth

BFFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu50Hb61jVQ

winter is coming see you in 2016


70 posted on 03/14/2012 11:19:11 PM PDT by Fred (http://whenmittromneycametotown.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: napscoordinator
I just wonder if it was the other way around and Santorum won two states would the Newt people be so easy going about this.

Surely you jest. Newt started calling for Santorum to drop out after SC for crying out loud. I remember calls here after NH for Rick to leave the playing field.

71 posted on 03/14/2012 11:22:11 PM PDT by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 55 | View Replies]

To: org.whodat

>> Newt is running for newts ego.

No, he’s the only one running on substance.


72 posted on 03/14/2012 11:23:13 PM PDT by Gene Eric (Newt/Sarah 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Steelfish

I am supporting Newt, if he drops out, Santorum is no where on my list. He should be thrown out of the republican party for what he did in MI. He is no friend of Kasich or Scott Walker. Both these Govs. are in the fight of their lives from Big Labor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36GyQt4AgM


73 posted on 03/14/2012 11:24:40 PM PDT by Fred (http://whenmittromneycametotown.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

To: Riodacat

>> Yup, like the Germans almost won WW1 & WW2

American history will suffice, thank you.


74 posted on 03/14/2012 11:26:09 PM PDT by Gene Eric (Newt/Sarah 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: VRWC For Truth

>> [Newt’s] as phony as Soetoro.

And the moral vanity brigade has demonstrated its competency how?

It hasn’t.


75 posted on 03/14/2012 11:29:14 PM PDT by Gene Eric (Newt/Sarah 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: St_Thomas_Aquinas

>> Newt should drop out for the sake of conservatism.

Good grief, Newt is the only genuine Conservative in the race.


76 posted on 03/14/2012 11:36:16 PM PDT by Gene Eric (Newt/Sarah 2012)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: Gene Eric

BS is not substance. And if that were the case, so is ron paul.


77 posted on 03/15/2012 12:50:03 AM PDT by org.whodat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 72 | View Replies]

To: Riodacat

Newt’s taking the heat Santorum would otherwise be getting....He has to stay in to keep the attention from SAntorum ...(though Santorums not my guy)...otherwise the Romney Machine and all the other machines working against Newt will come down hard on SAntorum.


78 posted on 03/15/2012 12:59:58 AM PDT by caww
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Lazlo in PA
Nice graphic. Where did you get it?

Of course the Newtbots will be here shortly to pooh pooh it and point out that most of the green counties are flyover rural areas. But ignore the fact that most of the purple areas are as well.

79 posted on 03/15/2012 6:45:40 AM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 68 | View Replies]

To: Lauren BaRecall
Went to the link and couldn't help but notice this remark:

Participants: Still awaiting campaign responses to invitations

It is March 15. If they haven't responded by now, do you really think they will?

And an Oregon venue? Their primary isn't until May 15. Do you really think Santorum and Romney are going to abandon the campaign trail and fly off to Portland now? Either Newt will end up debating himself (and possibly Ron Paul) or Rick and Mitt are a lot dumber than I think.

80 posted on 03/15/2012 6:52:53 AM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 67 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman

On the Wikipedia GOP Primary site, they keep this map current as the states have their contests. It is the only one I can find that goes into county detail which is real enlightening as to how well Rick is really doing.


81 posted on 03/15/2012 8:59:32 AM PDT by Lazlo in PA (Now living in a newly minted Red State.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 79 | View Replies]

To: Lauren BaRecall
Hate to say it, but I told you so. There will be no March 19th debate.
82 posted on 03/15/2012 12:57:22 PM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 66 | View Replies]

To: Vigilanteman

Thanks very much for the info. At least I won’t be going crazy looking for the live stream.


83 posted on 03/15/2012 2:06:08 PM PDT by Lauren BaRecall (I declare for Santorum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 82 | View Replies]

To: Lauren BaRecall

You’re welcome. After years of reading history and observing the behavior of politicians, these things tend to get fairly predictable.


84 posted on 03/15/2012 2:15:02 PM PDT by Vigilanteman (Obama: Fake black man. Fake Messiah. Fake American. How many fakes can you fit in one Zer0?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 83 | View Replies]

To: Lazlo in PA

Thanks for the information —


85 posted on 03/15/2012 5:01:25 PM PDT by LibsRJerks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 69 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-5051-85 last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson