Skip to comments.The Talk: Nonblack Version
Posted on 04/07/2012 5:04:29 AM PDT by reaganaut1
There is a talk that nonblack Americans have with their kids, too. My own kids, now 19 and 16, have had it in bits and pieces as subtopics have arisen. If I were to assemble it into a single talk, it would look something like the following.
(1) Among your fellow citizens are forty million who identify as black, and whom I shall refer to as black. The cumbersome (and MLK-noncompliant) term African-American seems to be in decline, thank goodness. Colored and Negro are archaisms. What you must call the N word is used freely among blacks but is taboo to nonblacks.
(2) American blacks are descended from West African populations, with some white and aboriginal-American admixture. The overall average of non-African admixture is 20-25 percent. The admixture distribution is nonlinear, though: It seems that around 10 percent of the African American population is more than half European in ancestry. (Same link.)
(3) Your own ancestry is mixed north-European and northeast-Asian, but blacks will take you to be white.
(4) The default principle in everyday personal encounters is, that as a fellow citizen, with the same rights and obligations as yourself, any individual black is entitled to the same courtesies you would extend to a nonblack citizen. That is basic good manners and good citizenship. In some unusual circumstances, howevere.g., paragraph (10h) belowthis default principle should be overridden by considerations of personal safety.
(5) As with any population of such a size, there is great variation among blacks in every human trait (except, obviously, the trait of identifying oneself as black). They come fat, thin, tall, short, dumb, smart, introverted, extroverted, honest, crooked, athletic, sedentary, fastidious, sloppy, amiable, and obnoxious. There are black geniuses and black morons. There are black saints and black psychopaths.
(Excerpt) Read more at takimag.com ...
I don’t think that you ought to be linking to a site like that one.
As a reason, read their comments.
My kids have eyes and ears. No talk was ever needed.
Source? I see one comment by Lowry on the Corner, but that sounded a little tongue-in-cheek to me.
His articles are still there.
I tried to follow the link to check out the story. Can’t connect. Can someone with higher order computer skills than mine (that would be above .5 on a 1-10 scale) tell if the site is down or being blocked? Or can y’all connect ok?
I think the site is just having trouble keeping up with the demand, not blocked. Keep trying.
Something I thought I would never see in print:
“(11) The mean intelligence of blacks is much lower than for whites. The least intelligent ten percent of whites have IQs below 81; forty percent of blacks have IQs that low. Only one black in six is more intelligent than the average white; five whites out of six are more intelligent than the average black. These differences show in every test of general cognitive ability that anyone, of any race or nationality, has yet been able to devise. They are reflected in countless everyday situations. Life is an IQ test.
I’m sure his article is an angry response to the nonsense articles about how all young black men get the lecture on how to behave to avoid arousing paranoia in whites.
In the 90s, I spent a night in a Humvee with a black guy monitoring the radio traffic for a military exercise. Since it was hard to stay awake, we talked. He said he had 2 brothers whose only restraint on murdering me for being white would be getting away with it. He had one brother, fresh out of prison, who he said would kill me if I came to his house even as a guest of his.
That was why he joined the military - he said he figured staying in St Louis would eventually land him in prison, and he didn’t dislike anyone (very true - he was one of the nicest guys you could ask to meet).
Is this an honest discussion on race, Mr. Holder?
NRO fired John Derbyshire for daring to write backed-up truth about blacks and race relations.
Mechanicos put it in a nutshell :
I do not see it as a zot, talking about race is not always racist.
I guess the intimidation of what was our "free press" side is now the order of the day. I just can't fathom the accelerating fear of telling ANY truth in a very short period. It was eligibility and now it's everything else! I guess that because the election is getting closer, the very serious threats must be mounting.
Nowadays, growing a pair is rare, but losing it is fashionable.
They don't call the NRO crew "Girlie Men" for nothing. Now they are certified eunuchs.
It's racial* rather than cultural. Black majority societies, whether in Africa or the Americas, are hyper-violent, with homicide rates that are a factor of magnitude (10x) higher than American numbers (which are also inflated by black crime rates). Black Americans and black majority countries in the Americas are nothing like Africans culturally, but they share the same genetic characteristics, with the odd Asian or European admixture somewhere. Remove the black population and the crimes committed by black perps from the stats, and the US murder rate plunges to Nordic country levels.
* Note that this is not to assert any kind of collective responsibility for the actions of black criminals. Obviously not all blacks are criminals, but the reality is roughly 50% of criminals in the US are black. This is merely a statistical observation useful for figuring out whether to run or cross the street when you notice several individuals approaching you from behind.
It is an honest discussion, which is exactly what Holder does NOT want...
And in many ways, it isn’t about race at all. For example, you see 6 black guys in suits talking together in a business meeting. Do you avoid them? Hell no!
But if I see 6 black youths in baggy pants ahead on an empty street, do I say hello, or even continue past them if I have any other option? Hell no!
During my 25 years in the US Air Force, it would never have occurred to me to avoid a group of black airmen. But 6 blacks dressed like thugs on an empty street? Not a chance.
Honestly and I don’t know if honesty is appreciated in the era of Political Correctness but the airforce was another world compared to some places I have been in the armed forces.
I don't see anything official yet. They may wait until Monday. There's a heavy drumbeat of demand that NR do so, for example this Forbes artice: Why National Review Must Fire John Derbyshire.
The supposedly "right wing" publications still demand that people fall on their swords when they violate any of the real taboos of the Left. The main-stream "conservative" press just makes a pretense of being an alternate point of view.
The author of the article states that in government agencies, all things being equal, you will usually get better and more competent service from a white than a black.
I have not found that to be the main determining factor in my experience, limited to traffic stops, DMV and the INS (for my Canadian wife).
After we spent many hours filling and filing INS paperwork, our submitted application was rejected because they did not see the marriage certificate (which was attached to the returned rejected application in the mail). We don’t know the race of the person who made that mistake.
When we went to the office to resubmit with that same marriage certificate, a middle-aged woman V.V. had a very fast moving line, with a lot of disgusted looking people having a short time in the line before having to do something over again. When it was our turn, V.V. pointed out that a lot of rules had changed after our application was received, but before it was rejected, requiring us to start all over again with new forms. I was not pleased. I called over the supervisor.
Now, V.V. was a white middle-aged lady who looked like she walked out of a Far Side comic strip. She DEFINITELY had the attitude of a lifer whose bitterness was only tempered by dispersing some of it onto others. Her supervisor was a young black woman who quickly, authoritatively, and calmly pointed out to her white underling that the date stamp on our original application is the controlling factor, and that we were good to go. Yes, it played out like an episode of a Norman Lear sitcom, but it did happen. I believe that competency and attitude in government bureaus has more to do with time served (more is worse) than anything else.
I do blame the bulk of the problems in the black community with the dominant sub-culture in the urban sections. I get treated more courteously by a young black man working the counter at a convenience store in suburban Georgia than by a white woman working the same job in a northern city. I also see the same drop-off in intelligence and civility in the swaths of white people who adapt a variation of the urban black subculture in general. (Pierced tongue, being an example of an application for permanent membership in the underclass.)
I have never admitted to anything so racist in all my life! < /sarcasm>
That is exactly WHY it is intolerable to so many people, particularly of the "RINO Pseudo-Right". See my tag line.
Wasn’t it Jesse Jackson who said he got nervous when he saw a young black man dressed like a gangsta coming toward him on the street at night?
I saw Lowry’s in the Corner. Do you have links to the others?
Been mugged three times, once by a Hispanic, twice by groups of half-dozen or so black teens. A fourth encounter provided the only time I've ever felt the need to draw my gun in self defense.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.