Skip to comments.Homeowner Kills Teen Burglary Suspect(TX)
Posted on 04/10/2012 6:20:42 AM PDT by marktwain
A homeowner shot and killed a burglary suspect Monday morning in the southeast Dallas neighborhood of Pleasant Grove and two more suspects were in custody.
The shooting happened at about 11 a.m. in the 7300 block of Vallejo Drive, near Jim Miller and Bruton roads.
According to police, three youngsters rang the doorbell and then ran to the back of the home, prompting the homeowner to call 911.
The trio then allegedly kicked in the back door and entered the home, where the unidentified resident opened fire, killing 14-year-old Luis Avila.
Two other 13 and 14-year-old suspects fled the scene and were later arrested. They face burglary charges, police said.
Neighbors said they saw a couple of kids who looked like they were up to no good running from the house. They also heard five gunshots, a pause and then three more shots.
"This is a calm neighborhood. This is like the first time something like this has ever happened," said Sarah Trevino. "I was surprised but I mean it was self defense. I understand why he would do that. I mean, I would have probably done the same thing too."
Avila and at least one other suspect reportedly attend John B. Hood Middle School. The school sent a letter home Monday afternoon letting parents know a student had died.
Well, that explains his attitude.
I saw one of our Arlington Texas relatives at a family wedding on Sat. night. I told him about this kind of thing happening somewhere in Houston every night. He said he had not heard of it happening in the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex. Is he just not paying attention or is this a rare occurrence up there?
I love happy endings. -sniff-
I would take no pleasure in killing a 14 year old boy but I believe the action was justified. I would do the same.
Home invasion of an occupied residence in Texas puts you in a special class of human. .......the extinct class.
I’m sure that 95% of my family, friends and coworkers have a weapon at home. The other 5% are liars.
Kids just doing what the pre0sent, holder, and people like wright want.
They now think they’re immune.
The Left hate Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground because it allows whitey to fight back....
But we still have a lot of decent kids here. The gangs are the problems.
I call it a gang if there is more then one person. Expect to see more of this.
We need more protection then ever, since the pre0sent has advocated violence by his lack of the right words to calm the situation. Also wright, and sharpton fiercely advocating violence are part of the problem, not the solution. They all have blood on their hands.
If he is committing home invasions at 14, I can only imagine the criminal acts he would have gone on to commit.
They are calling this a “burglary”, it seems clear the young thugs knew the would be victim was home and awake, so I believe this is really an attempted robbery.
Breaking into a unoccupied home to steal is bad enough, but anyone willing to break in with the intention of confronting and overpowering the resident(s) is a VERY, dangerous criminal.
As would I. I'd take less pain in capping a 14-year-old perp than in seeing my family put in danger.
I agree, it is robbery. And those who break into homes for robbery or burglary should expect to die.
The law allows EVERYONE to fight back.
I live outside Houston. I told my wife last night that I’ve got a bad feeling I’m going to be using my weapon before long. God, I pray that’s not the case.
We are all Zimmerman.
Which is why the Left HATES the notion of “Stand Your Ground”....it allows decent folks to fight back without fear of losing everything...
Young thugs may be lethally surprised to know how many “elderly” white people are COMBAT VETERANS. (Like me...)
Ha! I went to that school and grew up in that neighborhood back in the ‘60s. It has changed dramatically from that time.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.