Skip to comments.Valedictorian Facing Deportation Cool to Rubio's DREAM Act Redo
Posted on 04/25/2012 9:10:24 AM PDT by posterchild
As he starts to preview what his alternative to the DREAM Act will look like, Sen. Marco Rubio often mentions the story of Daniela Pelaez, an 18-year-old valedictorian and aspiring molecular biologist who faces deportation because she is undocumented, as an example for why such a plan needs to be developed.
But Pelaez, whose attendance at Dartmouth hinges on her ability to stay in the country, doesn't believe the sketch of Rubio's plan goes far enough.
In an interview with ABC News, Pelaez expressed displeasure with the glimpse Rubio has offered of his upcoming proposal, arguing that it is "wrong" for it to not provide a path to citizenship, but admitted it at least provides "baby steps" towards immigration reform.
"I'm not happy with Senator Rubio's position, that it doesn't lead to citizenship. I feel that would create a whole alternative inferior type of class of Americans," Pelaez told ABC News. "It's bittersweet because it's a stepping stone in the right direction but it's going about it the wrong way."
"It's heartbreaking not just for myself but for everybody else who would have been applicable under it because we deserve so much better than that, but what can I do?" Pelaez later continued. "I guess the only thing I could do is continue to tell my story and continue to raise awareness for it."
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
“We have rights”
So what if we are illegal & have been basically given a FREE education???
“We want more”
“We want FREE college & University education”
“Higher pay for no skills”
I am sick of all of this.
I've got two bits of bad news for ya,sweetiepie:
1)You're *NOT* an American...."inferior" or "superior"!
2)We don't give a rat's hindquarters what makes you happy **or unhappy!
Go back to where you came from and take your parents with you. We owe you nothing
This illegal got her education on the taxpayers money and she has the gall to talk about what SHE deserves!!
The taxpayers deserve our money back and she deserves a quick deportation back to the country she came from.
People like her are raping this country. They need to go back and fix their countrys problems instead of coming here and bankrupting this one. GET OUT!!!
Doesn't Dartmouth accept foreign student?
Great—instead of the REAL American Dream, the one this little ingrate thinks she deserves is the, “Gimme gimme gimme” dream.
She’d have to go back to her homeland and apply for a student visa, which would almost certainly be granted. Oh the horror.
Further proof that no matter what a Republican does, it will never be enough for these people, so why even bother?
Greed. By the way, who gives a DAMN what she thinks? Is she a voter?
I don’t care if she has a cure for cancer. These scum cannot even use the right words.
If you are an illegal tresspassor (not some undocumented little fuzz ball) they get the hell out of the country PERIOD.
There is a saying even scummy lawyers (redundant I know) say; “Tough cases make for bad law”.
IMO, this is because lawyers become politicians who make laws distorted by lawyers in front of judges who were lawyers.
If you followed that sentence then you know exactly why we have politicians, lawyers, judges who actually think the Constitution can be changed by “case law” and not by the only mechanism described by the US Constitution, an AMENDMENT. We even have communist professors in our law schools teaching future constitutional traitors that you can change the constitution by case law. Some of these FTA (Future Traitors of America) have been placed on the USSC.
To effen bad that people CHOOSE (is that not the magic liberal word) to break the law. They should be sent packing not rewarded and rewarded usually at the taxpayer’s expense.
IMHO, Rubio is not a conservative, just an ambitious young politician.
Exactly. And most of her family has returned to Colombia, so its not like she has no ties there. She does. She can go home, if it comes to that, and do it the right way.
The main thing here I see is her sense of entitlement. While Rubio is trying to solve her problem and help her, her reaction is that its not enough, that she deserves more.
In any case, they have universities in Colombia. Its not like only American universities offer advanced degrees. Finishing her degree in Colombia might be the best thing that ever happened to her.
Rubio for Pres./ VP? You idiots were sucked in by his pretty words, now you/ll have to eat them.
What part of illegal alien isn’t clear?
Just boot the illegal out of the country and get on with life.
Check out the requirements for you to move to Mexico. Unbelievable they make sure you have a monthly income large enough to support yourself.
You nailed it. Yet this is now the sad reality. Elections depend on Hispanics. The single white female voter goes automatically to Obama and liberals. So single white females and Hispanics hold the keys to the White House.
This illegal alien (not an immigrant by any sane definition)has a problem.
Legal foreign students get in line, and apply for a student Visa.
Legal immigrants don't crawl over the back fence when no ones looking.
Unlike this illegal alien, legal immigrant don't get a free education at state, local and federal expense (because the Federal government won't enforce immigration laws), and then demand that someone is being unfair to not give them more (scholarships, federal money, student loans etc.)at taxpayers expense.
Well then enjoy living in Mexico kid.
What makes you think Mexico would take her? Mexico enforces it’s immigration laws and has tighter limits on legal immigration.
American kids grown up in foreign countries all the time while their parents serve away from home. Then they all go home to America.
How’s that for an American Dream Plan? Go Home!
1. For instance, I am tired of hearing from judges and federal officials over and over that immigration is solely a federal job, while, at the same time, illegal immigrants are pouring across our borders in record numbers from all over the world non-stop.
2. For instance, states should have the power to screen persons as to their legal status when it comes to housing, jobs, elementary and high school education, welfare benefits, and voting rights.
3. If we don't do something soon, we will soon PASS THE POINT OF NO RETURN when these illegal immigrants will have so many in number and gain so much power that they will be able to pass laws that will make the borders wide open for anyone who wants to come here.
4. Again, I am so tired of hearing judges, Senators, Representatives, federal judges, and President Obama say that fighting illegal immigration is a federal government only duty, while, in the meantime, states like Arizona, Texas, and California turn more and more into illegal immigration dominated states.
5. NOTE: I have a relative in a Southern state who said this to me when I asked the relative why their small construction company hires Mexicans:
6. The relative said that they do so because the Mexicans show up every day while they never know when white workers are going to show up, especially if the weather is bad like it is raining.
7. When I asked the relative why not hire black laborers---living in a Southern state, there is a large pool of black workers---the relative mumbled something and did not answer the question.
I leave it up to you to figure out what the relative thinks of the work habits of black workers where he lives, if the relative is so critical of white laborers.
8. I'm sorry, but the POINT OF NO RETURN is rapidly approaching when illegal immigrants and their supporters will soon use their power to open our borders to anyone.
9. And it is not just a problem in traditional illegal immigrant states like Arizona, because as many of us know, the problem is now in non-traditional illegal immigration states like Southern states North Carolina and Georgia.
10. Sen. Rubio of Florida: What is this about his Dream Act? Has he lost his mind?
11. Such a Dream Act would send everyone across the world who is dreaming of coming to the United States this message: "If you can sneak across the border and survive for at least 5 years without breaking any major laws, your children will be granted amnesty and entitled to an American education."
So, if you can sneak across the border and not be caught, why not try it, because if the Rubio Dream Act passes, an illegal immigrant sneaking across the border will have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
And once an illegal immigrant is legally entitled to an education all the way up to college, it would be a sad thing to send him back to his country of origin, according to the Rubio Dream Act argument, so the best thing to do would be to let him stay in the United States and let him work his way to citizenship.
And once he becomes a citizen, he can then petition the court to bring all his relatives to this country.
And the vicious circle continues over and over.
12. Rubio seems like a good leader, but if in his distorted reasoning, he believes that this Dream Act is good for America, he is completely wrong.
13. So it is time to put pressure on Sen. Rubio to drop this Dream Act, because it is wrong for the United States.
14.ARIZONA SHERIFF: He and other law enforcement officials across the country should have the power to help control illegal immigration at the state level, because it is becoming obvious more more with each passing day that the problem is too big for the federal government to handle.
15. Do we need a Constitutional amendment to give more fighting power to states like Arizona who are being overwhelmed and suffocating with illegal immigration problems, or can Congress pass laws to give more power to the states before it will be too late to do anything about it, because illegal immigrants and their supporter will have too much power so that they will be able to stop any plans to control illegal immigration in the future?
16. For instance, if the police spot a van or truck with a lot of people in it, and the police suspect something is not right, they should be able to stop the vehicle and find out what is going on and check identification papers.
17. ANCHOR BABIES: Something has got to be done about these so-called anchor babies.
18. I recently read a story where a foreign national had a baby on a plane that was coming to the United States.
19. Obviously, the woman was waiting to the last minute to travel to the United States so that she could have her baby in the United States, because how many women would dare travel out of their country in the last few months of pregnancy unless their dream was to have their children born in the land of gold, the United States of America, where their children automatically become United States citizens at birth.
20. I can't blame the woman for trying to find a better life for her and her family, but this illegal immigration is out of control, and so we must try to do something to to try stop it before it is too late.
21. One of things we can do is take away some of the federal government's power over immigration.
22. We can then give the power back to the states so that people like the ARIZONA SHERIFF---who fight the problem close-up every day---can help control illegal immigration at the state level.
Actually the description of Rubio’s proposal did provide a ‘path to citizenship’—only a very slow one (while they’re here and legally protected along the way). How very RINO of him.