Skip to comments.Iranian naval admiral: ‘If needed, we can move to within three miles of New York’
Posted on 04/28/2012 7:39:01 AM PDT by Sub-Driver
Iranian naval admiral: If needed, we can move to within three miles of New York By Reza Kahlili - The Daily Caller 10:13 PM 04/27/2012
The Islamic Republic of Iran said Tuesday that it has the ability to position a naval vessel within three miles of the East Coast of the United States.
The power of our naval forces is such that we have a presence in all the waters of the world and, if needed, we can move to within three miles of New York, Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said Tuesday during a speech to the students of the University of Yazd in Iran. His remarks were quoted by an Iranian student news agency.
This naval saber rattling represents a stark escalation in Irans war rhetoric, as the West weighs the question of whether to impose new economic sanctions or directly attack the Islamic regimes illicit nuclear facilities.
The Americans only tool to rule the world is their naval dominance of the Persian Gulf, Fadavi added, and they will face any other power that threatens their status.
The admiral was speaking on the anniversary of a failed April 24, 1980 U.S. military operation dubbed Operation Eagle Claw that sought to rescue American hostages held captive at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran.
A Pentagon official responded to Fadavis claim on Friday. You should ask the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps what their plans are, the official told The Daily Caller. We support freedom of the seas and encourage all countries to follow international laws.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailycaller.com ...
Likely true. Our State Dept would be the kind to invite the Iranian navy that close as a friendly gesture.
Put a missle on a container ship and they can get however close they wish and none would be the wiser. EMP. Zap goes the eastern coast which will domino from there.
Without a co-enemy in the WH, his statement is probably true.
So many errors, so little time:
1. Weather balloons usually don't have lift capacity in excess of a ton. Even advanced Nuclear warheads weigh well over a ton and the early Fat Man/Little Boy bombs weighed around 5 tons.
2. Balloons don't get to the altitudes necessary for an EMP to be generated which are well above the stratosphere.
3. Balloons aren't accurate - heck, they don't go anywhere near their intended targets. Remember the great Japanese balloon bomb scare of the '40s? Less than 1% of all the thousands launched made it to the US. And nearly all the East oast prevailing winds are westerly.
No offense, Bud but you should do a little more study on the subject before hitting the "End of the world" button.
Trust me....I’ll never forget.
Compared to Barry Soetoro Hussein, even Bill Clinton in a high school band uniform looks sharp. As to the rest, he cannot even touch a hair.
2) Are you implying that an EMP pulse cannot be generated at ground level. That's impossible? How about a 5 miles? 10 miles? I picked a 30 mile altitude for an EMP attack because the wikipedia article on EMPs has a diagram showing the blast radius for an EMP pulse at 30 miles. If you want to make the claim that no balloon can reach 30 miles, that's fine with me. I would claim that an EMP pulse at 10 miles up would also be a bad thing.
3) Balloons aren't accurate? At 30 miles, the radius of effect is 480 miles. Lower level? Back to a balloon at 10 miles? Fine. I dont think accuracy counts. We're still looking at a radius of over 100 miles. Pinpoint accuracy is not required.
Let's cut to the point I was making: If Iran makes a nuclear deice, all they need is a low tech delivery system to devastate major US coastal areas. Do you disagree with this basic premise?
“Nuclear devices are about EMPs and what they do to advanced industrial societies.”
Post of the day. While a nuclear device will have a devestating effect with it’s heat and blast over pressure, the radius of that devestation is small compared to the damage EMP will cause. Everything electrical/electronic will be rendered useless. EMP is our biggest threat when it comes to nuclear weapons.
Wasn’t it just last year
“somebody” launched a missile off the coast of California?
No need for the navy. Iran could cause more damage inside the USA via Hezbollah.
EMP is an effect caused by the ionizing radiation from a nuclear weapon induced from above the Earth's atmosphere. This effect was discovered during high-altitude tests in the 1960s (Bluegill and Bluegill Prime)). Balloons won't get to the altitudes required - in other words, outer space. The balloon required to get a ton-to-5 ton warhead up to the edge of space is gigantic and not that easy to build/launch/aim with any stealth of dependability.
Sending out an scare post is a bit irresponsible, don't you think?
So how big a balloon would you need?
Who knows, they might even surface a boat off Long Island, shoot down an airiliner and our government would pretend it did not happen but was instead a spontaneous explosion of jet fuel, you know, that thick stuff.
Upshot-Knothole Grable: 15 kt from gun type uranium warhead tested as an 803# artillery round in “1953”.
Sorry to be a nervous nellie.
“And my penis is so ENORMOUS that it affects the gravity on the Moon! And I can stick millions of mini-marshmallows in my mouth all at the same time without drooling! And I once broke wind so loudly in Tehran that they heard me in Switzerland!”
At the allowance of soetoro.
that picture says more than a thousand words.