Skip to comments.Breaking: Obama Endorses Gay Marriage
Posted on 05/09/2012 2:39:51 PM PDT by Kaslin
An absolutely inevitable headline, although its somewhat awkward timing is sure to raise a few eyebrows. President Obama was expected to come around on this issue after the 2012 election, but this week's firestorm finally pushed the White House's lame and cynical "he's evolving" formulation to the brink. Caught in an untenable position, Obama at last decided to share his true thoughts on same-sex marriage with the American people, via a hastily-arranged interview with ABC News (video HERE):
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Roberts, in an interview to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday. Excerpts of the interview will air tonight on ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.”
The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept. “It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”
Thus completes a 16-year metamorphasis on the question, the various twists and turns of which -- oddly enough -- have coincided with Barack Obama's political interests. Buzz Feed has assembled a useful timeline charting Obama's myriad contortions:
1996 (running as a Hyde Park liberal): "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."
2004 (Running for US Senate in a year that a slew of anti-gay marriage amendments passed from coast to coast): "What I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman."
In 2004, Obama Struggled to Explain Gay Marriage Views
2008 (running for president as a post-partisan healer, needing significant Catholic, Hispanic, and black turnout and support to win): "I believe marriage is the union between a man and a woman. As a Christian, it's also a sacred union."
Barack Obama on Gay Marriage
2010 (after the midterm elections, and under pressure from gay groups and major donors): "My feelings about this are constantly evolving. I struggle with this."
Obama "Evolving" On Gay Marriage Issue
And the circle completed itself moments ago. My guess is that Team Obama finally realized that it could not maintain this transparent charade any longer, especially if they plan to paint Mitt Romney as indecisive on issues like immigration. (Although Obama's quadruple flip-flop on marriage could undermine similar attacks on Romney down the road). Obama's, ahem, new view may alienate some of his core supporters -- after all, a large bloc of North Carolina Democrats voted for the state's marriage amendment yesterday -- but the Obama campaign is probably counting on this kerfuffle dying down well before most voters start seriously thinking about the fall election. Biden's comment, the press corps' mini-feeding frenzy, and irritable money men forced the president's hand. Voila -- he's "evolved" back to his 1996 position, roughly seven months before he probably planned to do so. Parting thought: Is the "evolution" now over (right back where it began), or could our Philosopher King "evolve" some more, and eventually re-embrace the opinion he publicly espoused from circa 2004 through this morning? (Nah). Hey look over there...it's the dreadful Obama economy, which will still be the decisive factor in November!
UPDATE - I find it fascinating that ABC Network cut into live programming to announce that the president's "personal" stance on one issue has "evolved" back to its 1996 starting point.
UPDATE II - Full video added:
UPDATE III - It's all about "the brand."
It’s obvious he’s been making a cold calculation that this helps him more than it hurts him. I am not a pro at prognosticating, but I think he’s miscalculated. But then, we don’t know the truth about how much his “base” of fruits and nuts has eroded. If, as other posters suggest, he’s having trouble with the Hollyweird gays, then this was a necessary step.
Wrong. He did not lose a single one. The church ladies who might themselves vote against gay marriage also vote for left-wing lunatic black politicians who rabidly support it--and abortion and child molesting and God knows what else. It makes absolutely no difference to them.
Obozo is gay and he’s married...there ya go.
Obommer is just icky.
How’s that for ‘decisive’? Based on Obama’s dithering over an issue that is clearly popular with his base (but not the broader electorate) does anybody believe that Obama really ordered the ‘hit’ on OBL? Neither do I.
Oh my God that is funny...
Whooo, Dude came out.
Hey Black Democrats! What do you think of the Morality, Decency and Souls of your President and your Party *NOW*?
Was there ever any question?
“He cannot possibly be that careless toward the Black community of church-goers or evidence such evil in the eyes of non-Black believers nationally. He will be denounced in pulpits across the US.”
HAHAHAHAHAHA are you serious? Emperor Nero Narcissus could whip blacks on live television, and would lose less than 1% of that demographic, and he knows it.
You are wrong. Black Christians are against gay marriage, perhaps even more then White Christians
OF COURSE, black Christians are against gay marriage. They talk against it. They even vote against it, as they did in California and in North Carolina. They vote against it more than white Christians do. HOWEVER, they also vote (in the same elections) for politicians who support it ardently. Why? Because the politicians are liberal Democrats, and they are black.
(Article) Its interesting, some of this is also generational, the president continued.
Yeah. It's called "the callowness of youth" -- wholly unknown phenomenon before the current generation. </s>
Young people cannot wrap their minds around the idea that a veritable army of long marchers, including the President himself, are artfully and purposively lying to them -- black, sooty, Luciferian lies.
Eventually they'll start to catch wise. But the damage will have been done to society by the people who hate it.
Last I heard, Hispanic Catholics weren't exactly throwing a party for gays ..... Hispanic evangelicals, even less so. Something about Genesis 19-20 ....
Even among Episcopalians, only the wan, puffy-faced unicorn-and-rainbow, girl-ordaining crowd in the U.S. and England favor it. The African Anglicans aren't having any of their bullshine.
Oh, that couldn't happen! </s>
Metasearch on the term "Man's Country" ... narrow it down by throwing in Obama and Rahm Emanuel .....
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.