Skip to comments.The Top 50 Excuses For Not Prepping
Posted on 05/21/2012 10:35:51 AM PDT by blam
The Top 50 Excuses For Not Prepping
With the way that things are heading in this country, it is not surprising that there are approximately 3 million preppers in the United States today. What is surprising is that there are not more people prepping. The economy is rapidly falling to pieces, the national debt is absolutely soaring, the earth is becoming increasingly unstable, a major war could erupt in the Middle East at any time and the fabric of our society is coming apart right in front of our eyes.
We have become incredibly dependent on technology and we have become incredibly dependent on our economic system. If a major natural disaster, a killer pandemic, an EMP attack or the imposition of martial law caused a significant transportation disruption, America would literally change overnight. We live during a time of tremendous global instability, and yet most people still see no need to start prepping at all. Most people just continue to have blind faith in our leaders and in our system. But what happens if our leaders fail us? What happens if our system collapses? What are they going to do then?
The number of preppers in the United States today is steadily increasing, but the vast majority of people out there still see no reason to start getting ready for "the end of the world as we know it". Most people just assume that things will always somehow get better or that they will somehow be immune to whatever calamities are heading our way. Most people always seem to have a "good excuse" for why they do not need to prepare.
The following are the top 50 excuses for not prepping....
1. "The U.S. Economy Is The Greatest Economy On The Planet - There Is No Way That It Could Ever Collapse"
2. "Once Barack Obama Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better"
3. "Once Mitt Romney Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better"
4. "When Things Get Really Bad The Government Will Take Care Of Us"
5. "When Disaster Strikes I Will Just Steal From Everyone Else That Has Been Busy Preparing"(ahem)
6. "The Rapture Will Be At Any Moment So I Don't Have To Worry About Prepping"
7. "The Economy Has Always Recovered After Every Recession In The Past And This Time Will Be No Different"
8. "The People That Are Running Things Are Very Highly Educated And They Know Exactly What They Are Doing"
9. "Wal-Mart Will Always Be There"
10. "Our Politicians Are Watching Out For Our Best Interests"
11. "The 2012 Apocalypse Is Almost Here And We Are All Doomed Anyway - So Why Even Try?"
12. "Preppers Do Not Have A Positive Mental Attitude"
13. "If An Economic Collapse Comes I Will Just Go On Welfare"
14. "There Are Some Things You Just Can't Prepare For"
15. "Prepping Is Too Expensive"
16. "We Are Not Like Other Countries - U.S. Cities Are Designed To Withstand Major Earthquakes"
17. "I Need To Save Up For Retirement Instead"
18. "The Stock Market Has Been Soaring So Why Worry?"
19. "I Don't Have Room To Store Anything"
20. "Prepping Is For Crazy People"
21. "I Don't Believe In Conspiracy Theories"
22. "All The Food I Store Is Going To Go Bad"
23. "I Would Rather Spend My Time Watching American Idol"
24. "All The People Who Freaked Out About Y2K Look Really Foolish Now, Don't They?"
25. "I Don't Want To Look Like Those Idiots On 'Doomsday Preppers'"
26. "An EMP Attack Could Never Happen"
27. "There Will Never Be A Nationwide Transportation Disruption In The United States"
28. "Instead Of Being So Paranoid, I Would Rather Just Enjoy Life"
29. "If Society Falls Apart I Wouldn't Want To Continue To Live Anyway"
30. "There Will Never Be Another World War"
31. "I'm Too Lazy To Grow A Garden"
32. "If You Assume The Worst Is Going To Happen Then You Don't Believe In America"
33. "Deficits Don't Matter"
34. "I'll Always Be Able To Get A Job In My Field"
35. "If There Is A Financial Collapse All Of My Debts Will Be Wiped Out So I Might As Well Live It Up Now"
36. "If Things Hit The Fan I Will Just Go Move In With My Relatives Who Have Been Busy Prepping"
37. "Those That Believe That There Will Be Massive Riots In American Cities Someday Are Just Being Delusional"
38. "My Spouse Would Think That I Have Finally Lost It"
39. "I Don't Know Where To Start"
40. "I'll Just Deal With Problems As They Arrive"
41. "I Don't Have To Prepare For A Natural Disaster - That Is What FEMA Is For"
42. "We'll Never See Martial Law In The United States"
43. "I Don't Want To Scare My Children"
44. "Once I Get Rid Of All My Debt Then I Will Start Thinking About Prepping"
45. "My Relatives Already Think That I Am A Nut Job - I Don't Need To Make It Any Worse"
46. "If People At Work Find Out That I Am Prepping It Could Hurt My Career"
47. "If There Really Was A Good Reason To Prepare They Would Tell Us About It On The News"
48. "People Have Been Predicting Doom And Gloom For Years And It Hasn't Happened Yet"
49. "The United States Is The Greatest Nation On Earth - There Is No Way That It Could Collapse"
50. "I Don't Plan On Becoming A Card Carrying Member Of The Tin Foil Hat Brigade"
I’ve heard this one the most:
51) I’d rather just die than live if that happened.
There are more than 3 Million Preppers in the U.S.
There is no accurate means of measuring, as there are various degrees of “prepping”.
Mormons - 7 years of food.
The non-extreme variety, that don’t have multiple rooms of supplies and gear.
But, could get by for a while, before “bugging out” became necessary.
You try to tell people that the hull is thinnest at the stern but they insist on going to the bow...
I’ll bet it’s tough to get a pizza delivered. LOL
Don't these people understand that guns/ammo top most prepper lists?
The one my parents use is “We would never be able to prepare enough, so why prepare at all?”
rice and beans give me gas.
1, 5, 6 and 29 are what I hear the most often, followed by 14, 24, 27, 36, 48 and 49.
You either prepare and stand on your own beholden to no one or you become dependent on others to provide your basic needs and become thierserf. Me I dont want to be beholden to anyone for providing what is needed for me and mine. I certainly dont want to have to kiss some gubberment third class bureaucratic to try and coax some help from them, I dont want some jack booted thug herding me in line and telling me where to stand, sit, eat or sleep. And last but not least I dont want to be herded in with a bunch of zombies and have to worry about not only trying to get basic necessities but having to fight to keep what I manage to get.
Now anyone thinking that prepping is foolish ask you whats easier telling your children and loved ones why you prepared or explaining to them why you didnt?
But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8
But then someone has to stand on the bridge waiting for FEMA to bring them a bottle of water, an MRE and a warm blanket so as to provide the Network Anchors their background Money Shot. I wonder how that will workout for them?
Face it weve kicked the financial can so far down the road that we are running out of road and the can which was once the size of a soda can is now the size of an oil drum (Try kicking that!)
For those who are just starting or are old hands at prepping you may find my Preparedness Manual helpfull. You can download it at:
NOTE! THIS IS A FREE DOWNLOAD. I DO NOT MAKE ONE CENT OFF MY PREPAREDNESS MANUAL!
For those of you who havent started already its time to prepare almost past time maybe. You needed to be stocking up on food guns, ammo, basic household supplies like soap, papergoods, cleaning supplies, good sturdy clothes including extra socks, underwear and extra shoes and boots, a extra couple changes of oil and filters for your car, tools, things you buy everyday start buying two and put one up.
As the LDS say When the emergency is upon us the time for preparedness has past.
Or as the bible says: A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.
NIV Proverbs 22:3
Lastly this for the doubters and the scoffers.
There is no greater disaster than to underestimate danger.
Underestimation can be fatal.
Actually, although gear/supplies is important, I believe that survival skills is far more important than anything else. Sometimes you see these 300 lb guys with diebetes, armed to teeth with 15 years of food stashed in a bunker. A lot of them put too much emphasis on stuff rather than developing the ability to live like an Indian (the 200 years ago variety), ie off the land with nothing but a stone knife and self-made bow.
Not to say that supplies aren't extremely important and will likely save your life, but you can't forget how to survive is you end up with...Nothing.
Looks a lot like #29.
Some who are on critical medications will die when the wheels come to a stop. If they don’t die, some will wish to die when the pain or effects of the disease they are fighting become unbearable.
Good “barter item” when TSHTF...
51) Id rather just die than live if that happened.
I've always thought that one was particularly pathentic because they are not taking into account the fact that the disaster may only be temporary.
15, 19, and 36 are my excuses. My husband is in seminary right now so we can’t afford to buy a lot of excess food. We are moving frequently for the next few years so moving a lot of food would be a pain. Currently we are in a tiny apartment with no storage.
36—the whole relatives thing? My dad is a prepper and he has specifically invited me and hubby to join him in the event of a crisis.
I do believe something big is around the corner—but my husband and I have no other option now than to rely on God’s good grace.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.