Skip to comments.
Judicial Watch Obtains DOD and CIA Records Detailing Meetings with bin Laden Raid Filmmakers
Judicial Watch ^
| May 22, 2012
Posted on 05/22/2012 2:18:36 PM PDT by jazusamo
DOD Officials Disclosed to Filmmakers Identity of SEAL Team Six Operator and Commander; Ask Film Director to Withhold Operators Name, because he shouldnt be talking out of school.
(Washington, DC) Judicial Watch, the organization that investigates and fights government corruption, announced today that it has obtained records from the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) regarding meetings and communications between government agencies and Kathryn Bigelow, Academy Award-winning director of The Hurt Locker, and screenwriter Mark Boal. According to the records, the Obama Defense Department granted Bigelow and Boal access to a planner, Operator and Commander of SEAL Team Six, which was responsible for the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden, to assist Bigelow prepare her upcoming feature film.
The records, obtained pursuant to court order in a Freedom of Information Actlawsuit filed on January 21, 2012, include153 pages of records from the DOD and113 pages of records from the CIA ( Judicial Watch v. U.S. Department of Defense (No. 1:12-cv-00049)). The documents were delivered to Judicial Watch late last Friday (May 18). The following are the highlights from the records, which include internal Defense Department email correspondence as well as a transcript from a key July 14, 2011, meeting between DOD officials, Bigelow and Boal:
- A transcript of a July 14, 2011 , meeting between DOD officials, including Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers, Bigelow and Boal indicates that Boal met directly with White House officials on at least two occasions regarding the film: I took your guidance and spoke to the WH and had a good meeting with Brennan and McDonough and I plan to follow up with them; and they were forward leaning and interested in sharing their point of view; command and control; so that was great, thank you, Boal said according to the transcript. Vickers asks if the meeting was a follow-up, to which Boal responds, Yes correct; this was a follow-up. The documents seemingly reference John O. Brennan, Chief Counterterrorism Advisor to President Obama and Denis McDonough, who serves as President Obamas Deputy National Security Advisor.
- The July 14, 2011, meeting transcript also reveals that the DOD provided the filmmakers with the identity of a planner, SEAL Team 6 Operator and Commander. (The name is blacked out in the document.) In proposing the arrangement, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers said: The only thing we ask is that you not reveal his name in any way as a consultant because . . . he shouldnt be talking out of school. Vickers went on to say during the meeting at the Pentagon: This at least, this gives him one step removed and he knows what he can and cant say, but this way at least he can be as open as he can with you and it ought to meet your needs. Boal later responds, You delivered.
- A July 13, 2011, internal CIA email indicates that Bigelow and Boal were granted access to the Vault, which is described the CIA building where some of the tactical planning for the bin Laden raid took place: I was given your name as the POC in [redacted] who could determine the feasibility of having a potential walk-through of
the Vault in the [redacted] building that was used for some of the tactical planning in the Bin Laden Raid [sic]. In consultation with the Office of Public Affairs and as part of the larger chronicling of the Bin Laden raid, OPA will be hosting some visitors sanctioned by ODCIA this Friday afternoon. (The name of the sender is blacked out.) Of course this is doable, an official responds.
- DOD Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Douglas Wilson told colleagues in a June 13, 2011, email to limit media access and that he would follow up with the White House: I think this looks very good as a way forward, and agree particularly that we need to be careful here so we dont open the media floodgates on this. Im going to check with WH to update them on status, and will report back. A day later, he wrote Department of Defense communications staffers, saying: Ok to set up the second session with Vickers. I am getting additional guidance from WH.
- Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers told Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Douglas Wilson and two other DOD communications staffers in a June 13, 2011, email that [DOD] would like to shape the story to prevent any gross inaccuracies, but do not want to make it look like the commanders think its okay to talk to the media. The email went on to say: For the intelligence case, they are basically using the WH-approved talking points we used the night of the operation. The talking points called the raid a Gutsy Decision by the POTUS, adding that WH involvement was critical.
- A June 9, 2011, email from Commander Bob Mehal, Public Affairs Officer for Defense Press Operations, to Vickers and other DOD staff summarizes a meeting with Boal and notes the release date for the film: Release date set for 4th Qtr 2012
- A July 13, 2011, email to Commander Bob Mehal, Public Affairs Officer for Defense Press Operations, indicates that Sarah Zukowski, an associate for The Glover Park Group, arranged the July 14, 2011 visit by Bigelow and Boal to the DOD and the CIA. The Glover Park Group is described by Politico as a Democratic-leaning advocacy firm.
- A June 27, 2011, email to an official at the Office of the Secretary of Defense suggests that the request from Bigelow and Boal to meet with Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers came via the White House press office. A June 22, 2011, email to Commander Bob Mehal, Public Affairs Officer for Defense Press Operations notes, The White House does want to engage with Mark but it probably wont be for a few more weeks. We should provide them a read-out of the session you do with Vickers. The name of the White House official who forwarded the request is blacked out.
Judicial Watch launched its investigation of Bigelows meetings with the Obama administration following press reports suggesting that the Obama administration may have leaked classified information to the director as source material for Bigelows film.
New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd wrote that the information leak was designed to help the Obama 2012 presidential reelection campaign: The White House is also counting on the Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal big-screen version of the killing of Bin Laden to counter Obamas growing reputation as ineffectual. The Sony film by the Oscar-winning pair who made The Hurt Locker will no doubt reflect the presidents cool, gutsy decision against shaky odds. Just as Obamaland was hoping, the movie is scheduled to open on Oct. 12, 2012 perfectly timed to give a home-stretch boost to a campaign that has grown tougher.
In addition to Judicial Watchs pursuit of the bin Laden film records, the organization continues to fight in court for the release of the bin Laden post-mortem photos and video. The Obama administration continues to withhold these records citing national security concerns.
These documents, which took nine months and a federal lawsuit to disgorge from the Obama administration, show that politically-connected film makers were giving extraordinary and secret access to bin Laden raid information, including the identity of a Seal Team Six leader, said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. It is both ironic and hypocritical that the Obama administration stonewalled Judicial Watchs pursuit of the bin Laden death photos, citing national security concerns, yet seemed willing to share intimate details regarding the raid to help Hollywood filmmakers release a movie perfectly timed to give a home-stretch boost to the Obama campaign.
To view the entire production click here.
TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events; Politics/Elections
KEYWORDS: 2012; binladen; cia; classifiedinfo; dod; movie; obama
Must just be a coincidence that the movie will be released less than a month before the election. /sarc
Bold lettering mine.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:18:50 PM PDT
Did the Obama administration provide classified information to an unauthorized individual(s), which is a criminal offense?
“Gee, your honor, was that information classified? I didn’t know that”.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:21:10 PM PDT
( November, 2012-The End of an Error)
To: 2ndDivisionVet; SandRat; AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Berosus; bigheadfred; Bockscar; ...
These documents, which took nine months and a federal lawsuit to disgorge from the Obama administration, show that politically-connected film makers were giving extraordinary and secret access to bin Laden raid information, including the identity of a Seal Team Six leader
posted on 05/22/2012 2:23:36 PM PDT
(FReepathon 2Q time -- https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
This is outrageous.
Can you imagine if George W. Bush pulled a stunt like this? The enemedia would absolutely crucify him along with the RATS.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:26:07 PM PDT
("Intellect is not wisdom" -- Thomas Sowell)
Please bump the Freepathon or click above and donate or become a monthly donor!
posted on 05/22/2012 2:30:50 PM PDT
("Intellect is not wisdom" -- Thomas Sowell)
If Obama has been granted high security clearances, ANY MEMBER OF AL QAEDA SHOULD AS WELL. In the old days sometimes it would take well over a YEAR and sometimes even TWO YEARS to get a particular clearance.
I wonder how SEAL Team 6 (and Biden violated the terms of his clearances when he LEAKED the fact the OBL team was #6) feels about helping Obama get re-elected with this movie, which should be called...
More like, October “Throw My Guts Up!” This makes me sick.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:34:59 PM PDT
I think the Seals put out a statement during the Obama victory lap last month, condemning the whole circus.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:35:34 PM PDT
(Beat him, strip him and bring him to my tent!)
After spending the entire Clinton administration waiting for just one of the Judicial Watch slam dunk lawsuits to reach fruition, I decided to hold out for The Onion as they have more credibility.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:36:45 PM PDT
(Nothing says "ignorance" like Islam!)
It is quite clear that Obama and his minions will sell out our country to the highest bidder for their selfish needs, political agenda and retention of power. Obama holds himself above all.
It ain’t a surprise no more.
posted on 05/22/2012 2:40:20 PM PDT
(Central Banker Capitalism is NOT Free Enterprise)
They better be careful though.. They’ll be sent to Afghanistan for a trip on a helicopter, never to return.
Romney should be harping on this issue.. 'Obama's only achievement is the killing of somebody'.. 'Obama's so desperate he's using Hollywood to try and get re-elected'... 'Obama sold out on classified information so Sony pictures could make a movie about the OBL mission'... 'Obama will focus on Osama while our economy goes down the tubes'.. etc.
In another words, Romney should prepare Americans for what otherwise would be an October surprise which could help Obama. Romney should diminish or marginalize the 'surprise' element here.
Could we please get a Congressional (i.e. House of Reps) hearing going on this?? And a Special Prosecutor?? I mean every time Scooter Libby or W or Cheney farted we had Henry Nostrilitis Waxman and Fitzmas up their butts. Good grief!
To: Jet Jaguar; NorwegianViking; ExTexasRedhead; HollyB; FromLori; EricTheRed_VocalMinority; ...
posted on 05/22/2012 4:31:27 PM PDT
(The complete Obama list at www.nachumlist.com)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson