Skip to comments.The 25 Best Quotes From American Soldiers
Posted on 05/28/2012 9:43:05 PM PDT by Kaslin
25) "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!" -- William Prescott at the Battle Of Bunker Hill
24) "To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace." -- George Washington
23) "When this war is over, the Japanese language will be spoken only in hell!" -- Admiral Bill Halsey on December 7, 1941
22) "Nuts." -- The response of General Anthony MacAuliffe, when asked to surrender during the Battle of the Bulge, 1944
21) "I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God." -- Robert E. Lee
20) "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over." -- Gen William T. Sherman
19) "Of the Marines on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue." -- Chester W. Nimitz
18) "They've got us surrounded again, the poor b@stards." -- Creighton W. Abrams, Battle of the Bulge
17) "Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here" -- Captain John Parker, 1775
16) "We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and weve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in, and otherwise we have returned home to seek our own lives in peace." -- Colin Powell
15) "We have met the enemy and they are ours!" -- Oliver Hazard Perry
14) "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC
13) "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." -- John Paul Jones
12) "Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!" -- Admiral David Glasgow Farragut
11) "I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." -- Clifton B. Cates, Belleau Wood, July 1918
10) "Yonder are the Hessians. They were bought for seven pounds and tenpence a man. Are you worth more? Prove it. Tonight the American flag floats from yonder hill or Molly Stark sleeps a widow!" -- John Stark at the Battle of Bennington in 1777
9) "Godd@m it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!" -- Henry P. Crowe
8) "Victory was never in doubt. Its cost was...What was in doubt, in all our minds, was whether there would be any of us left to dedicate our cemetery at the end, or whether the last Marine would die knocking out the last Japanese gun and gunner." -- Major General Graves B. Erskin in reference to the Battle Of Iwo Jima
7) "Come on, you sons of b!tches! Do you want to live forever?" -- Dan Daly, WWI
6) "Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!" -- Lieutenant General Lewis "Chesty" Puller when surrounded by eight enemy divisions
5) "Get there first with the most." -- Nathan Bedford Forrest
4) "It is fatal to enter a war without the will to win it." -- Douglas MacArthur
3) "I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continued bombardment for twenty-four hours and have not lost a man. The enemy have demanded a surrender... otherwise the garrison is to be put to the sword if the place is taken. I have answered the summons with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat." -- William B. Travis, Alamo
2) If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting. -- Curtis LeMay
1) "No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country." -- George Patton
“I aim to misbehave” - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
With all respect to the general, I don't think he'd really want them in front of him, either .... they might make a mess of his formations when their "cheese-eating surrendair meunkeys" run through them, waving their hands in the air and dropping weapons all over the place.
I hope to hell we aren't burying any of our heroes in a sh*thole country like Trashkanistan.
Yea, it is PBS, but it is the memory of someone who was there.
“Retreat, Hell! We just got here!” One of my favorites, although the author slips my mind...
“Retreat, hell! We’re not retreating, we’re just advancing in a different direction” General Oliver P. Smith at the Chosin Reservoir.
“We’re surrounded. That simplifies things.” Chesty Puller in the same battle.
There are also too many great quotes to list here by Willie and Joe.
As a Pfc in the US Army, the quote from my sergeants that stands out in my memory is: “Don’t let me catch you doing that again”.
Loved Num 18, the poor bastards got us surrounded again!
Audie Murphy one is great
"I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world."
(General Douglas MacArthur, USA, outskirts of Seoul, 21 September 1950.)
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
(Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943.)
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking!"
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
CHESTY PULLER, USMC
"The more MARINES I have around the better I like it!"
GEN. MARK CLARK, U.S. ARMY
"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the s**t out of the purple-pissing Japanese, before the Godda**ed MARINES get all the credit!"
Lt General George Patton, US Army 1945
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
"A ship without MARINES is like a garment without buttons."
ADM. DAVID PORTER, USN
"The MARINES have landed and have the situation well in hand!"
RICHARD HARDING DAVIS
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency: we are winning!"
COL. DAVID M. SHOUP, USMC
"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence."
GEN. JOHNSON, U.S. ARMY
"The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a MARINE CORPS for the next 500 years."
JAMES FORRESTAL, SECRETARY OF THE NAVY
"Come on, you sons of b*****! Do you want to live forever?"
GySgt. DANIEL DALY, USMC
"We're not retreating, Hell! We're just attacking in a different direction!"
GEN. OLIVER SMITH, USMC
"I have just returned from visiting the MARINES at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"
GEN. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR, U.S. ARMY
"Teufelhunde! (Devil Dogs)"
GERMAN SOLDIERS, WW1 at BELLEAU WOOD
"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those b*****ds won't get away this time!"
CHESTY PULLER, USMC
"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!"
GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS
"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC
"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of MARINES. LORD, how they could fight!"
MAJ. GEN. FRANK LOWE, U.S. ARMY
"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."
CAPTURED NORTH KOREAN MAJOR
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.
WE LIVE LIKE SOLDIERS, TALK LIKE SAILORS, AND SLAP THE HELL OUT OF BOTH OF THEM.
WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
Lloyd W. Williams (June 5, 1887 - June 12, 1918) was an officer in the United States Marine Corps who served and died in World War I.
A famous saying is attributed to Captain Williams, who was serving as a company commander in the 5th Marines. When advised to withdraw by a French officer at the defensive line just north of the village of Lucy-le-Bocage on June 1, 1918, he is said to have replied: “Retreat? Hell, we just got here!” Captain Williams would not survive the ensuing battle, and was posthumously promoted to major and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.
A member of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute class of 1907, he was a member of Alpha Company in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Major Williams Hall was named in his memory in 1957. He is also considered to be the first known person from Virginia to die in the First World War.
Favorite Drill Instructor quotes, which I am sure most Marines heard at one time or another, whether at Parris Island or San Diego:
1. “If I want any sh!t out of you, I’ll chop the top of your head off and scoop it out.”
2. “Get over here, maggot”.
3. “My grandmother (does whatever) better than you, and she’s been dead for five years.”
4. “”The best part of you ran down your father’s leg.” and the all-time best, the introduction to the Marine Corps:
5. “I have 12 weeks to undo everything your mother did to you for eighteen years.”
Feel free to add your “remembrances”.
I have a bad feeling that, if an “allied” unit in front of one of Patton divisions, tried surrendering or retreating, Patton’s troops would attack straight through, without differentiating between “allies” and enemy. The only thing Patton would regret would be the additional expenditure of ammunition.
I loved every single quote.....except for #16, by that RAT bastard affirmative action POS Colin Powell. He is a racist, pro-homo, pro-same sex marriage, pro 0dumb0BAT, posing as a military leader. Strike his quote and replace it with another true, patriotic, pro-American quote from someone else!
“He actually wrote EFF You. But he didnt write EFF.”
The way I heard this story was there was no way to translate “Nuts” into German, so the reply was sent as “Go to hell”
And Afghanistan, and possibly Iraq too.
And Afghanistan, and possibly Iraq too.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.