Skip to comments.Romney goes on attack with new TV ad, “Doing Fine” (Watch video)
Posted on 06/14/2012 6:35:09 AM PDT by SeekAndFind
The Romney campaign goes negative for the first time, as Jim Geraghty points out, in the general-election cycle --- at least on television. Team Romney has been hitting Barack Obama for his remark that "the private sector is doing fine" almost from the moment he said it last week. Mitt Romney himself slammed Obama's remarks at an appearance in swing-state Iowa, and the campaign has posted more than one web video featuring the remarks. Now they're putting their money where Obama's mouth is:
CNN reports that this will have $3.24 million behind it and will air in seven swing states:
Political analysts predicted rightly that Obamas words would soon end up in a political advertisement. The Republican National Committee and later the Romney campaign both put out web videos highlighting the words.
As CNN reported Thursday, Team Romney has bought its largest ad buy of the general election media campaign and this ad will be the featured presentation. It has purchased $3.24 million in seven battleground states for time running through next Tuesday.
It’s a straightforward spot, with no embellishments other than data that comes straight from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and from media analysis of the economy. Here’s the script released from Team Romney, complete with links to the data:
VIDEO TEXT: June 8, 2012VIDEO TEXT: 23.2 Million Americans Are In Need Of Work
· 23.2 Million Americans Are Unemployed, Underemployed, Or Have Stopped Looking For Work. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, 6/4/12)VIDEO TEXT: 40 Straight Months Over 8% Unemployment
· Under President Obama, Unemployment Has Remained Above 8% For 40 Straight Months. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, 6/4/12)VIDEO TEXT: Middle-Class Struggles Deepen Under Obama
· Since President Obama Took Office, Median Household Income Has Declined By $4,300. Yet real median household income in March was down $4,300 since Obama took office in January 2009 and down $2,900 since the June 2009 start of the economic recovery, according to an analysis of census data by Sentier Research, an economic- consulting firm in Annapolis, Maryland. (Mike Dorning, Obama Fails To Stem Middle-Class Slide He Blamed On Bush, Bloomberg, 4/30/12)
· Median Family Net Worth Has Hit A Two-Decade Low. The Great Recession shrank Americans’ wealth so much that in 2010 median family net worth was no more than it had been in 1992 after adjusting for inflation, the Federal Reserve reported Monday. Median net worth declined from $126,400 in 2007 to $77,300 in 2010, a Fed survey of family finances found. The median marks the point where half had more and half had less. (Martin Crutsinger, Fed Report: Middle Class Net Worth Tumbles, The Associated Press, 6/12/12)VIDEO TEXT: Millions Of Homeowners Underwater On Mortgages
· Millions Of Homeowners Are Underwater On Their Mortgages. Despite rising home prices, more than 30% of borrowers, or close to 16 million homeowners, were underwater on their mortgage during the first quarter, according to Zillow. The percentage of borrowers who owed more on their home than it was worth increased to 31.4% during the quarter, up slightly from 31.1% three months earlier, according to Zillow. (Les Christie, More Than 30% Of Mortgage Borrowers Still Underwater, CNN Money, 5/24/12)VIDEO TEXT: The Presidents Response?VIDEO TEXT: June 8, 2012VIDEO TEXT: 11:01 amPRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine.
· PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine. (President Barack Obama, Press Conference, Washington, DC, 6/8/12)VIDEO TEXT: The Private Sector Is Doing Fine?VIDEO TEXT: June 8, 2012VIDEO TEXT: 11:01 amPRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine.
· PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine. (President Barack Obama, Press Conference, Washington, DC, 6/8/12)VIDEO TEXT: How Can President Obama Fix Our Economy VIDEO TEXT: If He Doesnt Understand Its Broken?PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine.”
· PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: The private sector is doing fine. (President Barack Obama, Press Conference, Washington, DC, 6/8/12)
MITT ROMNEY: Im Mitt Romney and I approve this message.
It’s an effective attack, and if more bad economic data comes out, Team Romney will undoubtedly refresh the ad to include it and re-release it as often as possible. They want to define Obama as clueless on how to restart job creation and the kind of growth that should have taken place over the last three years, and they’ll use every syllable of help Obama presents to them as a gift.
He needs to go on the attack.. And stay there, right through the election.. Must keep a rapid response, unlike the lame McCain
I wouldn’t even call it going negative.
Going truthful, maybe?
Obama must fall.
I admit, Im still kinda speechless at the romneybots who THINK that FR will ever become “rah rah romney”.
GIVE IT UP! We cant stand your socialist candidate and we are NEVER going to support the bastard, much less be all “rah rah romney” heh... F that...
Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t really care for how they had the text appear and float it.
You’re right. I stand corrected. Thanks
I totally agree. I would like to know the author's rationale for labeling this ad "negative".
The best defense is a good OFFENSE. Go Alinsky on Zero and his disciples. He’s gonna crack.
Well, at least he’s not out there saying “You don’t have to be afraid of Obama - he’s an honorable man”...
He’s already cracking..
This narcicistic megalomaniac is going to be completely unglued by sept/oct.. when its clear he’s losing, and being rejected, even his own party and press will turn on him.
He’s a man alone who can’t mentally deal with it, and its goign to get ugly.
Never in my lifetime has such a pathetically small man, been put in the White House, and I pray that it will never happen again.
Well you are going to have to man up and face either Romney or 4 more years of a president that I’m sure you haven’t been calling a Reagan conservative either.
That’s the choice. Not a fantasy brokered convention or some magic third-party no name. You can live the reveluti-oun till you turn blue, but if you really want Obama gone, and not there so you can have something to complain about, then a choice is going to have to be made, happily or not.
So far, he is. Ever since WaPo tried to attack Romney for what may or may not have happened in 1965, he's been pressing Obama on a variety of angles. Obama is having to play defense... something to which The Won isn't accustomed.
Narcissism ... what professionals out there can predict behavior types coming from this man when he sees himself being rejected by voters, media, and political acquaintances?
Suicide? Trying to take others down with him? I have no idea but I agree it's a little worrisome that someone this sketchy...
The evil you know and detest(Oblunder) or the evil you detest less?
Because if Oblunder gets 4 more years, YOU won't have any reason to whine and moan because you made the choice you made. And this country will never look or be the same after that.
Vote 3rd party and you throw your vote out the window.
So you can scream and yell all you want about Romney, you miss the goal. And that is to rid the country of the worst mistake it ever made.
Too bad it’s all true.
The next POTUS needs to be an actual conservative, but neither Obama nor Romney are actual conservatives! No matter who wins the race for ‘12 POTUS, it’s going to be “more leftist crap” for many more years, and this is unacceptable!
I guess he just doesn’t understand that it’s racist to actually campaign against 0bama... :)