Skip to comments.
Big powers move in on Syria: Russian troops for Tartus. US forces ready to go
DEBKA File ^
| June 15, 2012
Posted on 06/15/2012 11:25:00 AM PDT by Errant
A contingent of Russian special forces is on its way to Syria to guard the Russian navys deep-water port at the Syrias Mediterranean coastal town of Tartus, Pentagon officials informed US NBC TV Friday, June 15. They are coming by ship. According to debkafiles sources, the contingent is made up of naval marines and is due to land in Syria in the coming hours.
In a separate and earlier announcement, US Defense Department sources in Washington reported that the US military had completed its own planning for a variety of US operations against Syria, or for assisting neighboring countries in the event action was ordered a reference, according to our sources, to Turkey, Jordan and Israel.
The Syrian civil war is now moving into a new phase of major power military intervention, say debkafiles military sources. Moscow, by sending troops to Syria without UN Security Council approval, has set up a precedent for the United States, the European Union and Arab governments to follow. They all held back from sending troops to Syria because all motions to apply force for halting the bloodshed in Syria was blocked in the UN body.
According to US military sources, in recent weeks, the Pentagon has finalized its assessment of what types of units would be needed and how many troops. The military planning includes a scenario for a no-fly zone as well as protecting chemical and biological sites. The U.S. Navy is maintaining a presence of three surface combatants and a submarine in the eastern Mediterranean to conduct electronic surveillance and reconnaissance on the Syrian regime, a senior Pentagon official said.
TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Government; Israel; News/Current Events; Russia; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: israel; middleeast; russia; russian; syria; troops; waronterror
Yeah, I know IT'S the DEBKAfile.
posted on 06/15/2012 11:25:18 AM PDT
Holy DEBKA!!! This is HUGH and SERIES!!!! A moose once bit Assad’s sister!!!!!1
DEBKA, the National Enquirer and Globe of affairs between nations.
posted on 06/15/2012 11:37:05 AM PDT
(Liberty and Justice for ALL)
To: Anti-Bubba182; FreeAtlanta
posted on 06/15/2012 11:48:22 AM PDT
Whew, it’s Debka. I was afraid it was MSM, which is only slightly more credible than Debka.
OTOH, between Sheriff Joe and the Cold Case Posse, his huge economic gaffe with “the private sector is just fine”, etc. Bammy might need a June-July-August-September-or-October Surprise.
Though I find it hard to believe he’d challenge the Russkies in Syria. Especially after relaying to Comrade Putin “he’d have more flexibility after the election”.
posted on 06/15/2012 11:50:57 AM PDT
(1 John 5:4-5, 4:15, 5:13; John 3:17-18, 6:69, 11:25, 14:6, 20:31; Rom10:8-11; 1 Tim 2:5; Titus 3:4-5)
posted on 06/15/2012 11:59:19 AM PDT
by SC DOC
There is nothing here that adds up to "US forces ready to go."
Your don’t send Special Forces to guard a port...
posted on 06/15/2012 12:08:44 PM PDT
(My common ground with terrorists - they want to die for islam and we want to kill them)
Obama trying to engineer a non-confrontation with his Russian buddies to boost his polls??
posted on 06/15/2012 12:08:49 PM PDT
Though I find it hard to believe hed challenge the Russkies in Syria.
I firmly believe that he'll do what he is told. It's why he's where he is...
posted on 06/15/2012 12:18:28 PM PDT
To: SC DOC
posted on 06/15/2012 12:19:50 PM PDT
Could it be he has a war on standby, depending...
posted on 06/15/2012 12:21:23 PM PDT
I htink so. But based on his whispered comments to Medvedev, I think it would be a minor type of skirmish just to up his polls - a few bodies on both sides and he looks tough.
I simply don’t trust him and feel he would do ANYTHING to get re-elected.
posted on 06/15/2012 12:25:50 PM PDT
I simply dont trust him and feel he would do ANYTHING to get re-elected.
Completely agree, but I'm also certain those who are the real power, have contingency plans.
posted on 06/15/2012 12:38:45 PM PDT
“You dont send Special Forces to guard a port...”
True. You send them to guard the anti-aircraft missiles that you’re going to emplace at the port. NATO really needs to keep out of Syria and let those people sort out their own affairs and we really do not need to start up another cold war with Russia by attacking their last ME ally. The Russians are still pissed that we hit Serbia and are still occupying Kosovo in favor of the Muslims.
posted on 06/15/2012 1:06:07 PM PDT
(No way in Hell am I voting for Mitt Romney. Not now, not ever. Deal with it.)
hed have more flexibility after the election I’m sure he’ll have a lot more flexibiliy after he’s unelected. He can play golf every day.
posted on 06/15/2012 1:28:54 PM PDT
(Support Senate S 1863 & House Bill 1380 to eliminate oil slavery.)
“NATO really needs to keep out of Syria and let those people sort out their own affairs and we really do not need to start up another cold war with Russia by attacking their last ME ally.”
As long as Mulsims are just killing other Muslims, we should sit back, smile, and applaude.
posted on 06/15/2012 1:35:39 PM PDT
"Listen, and understand. That MK-48 is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."
"The best way to avoid the MK-48 torpedo is to run your ship aground, for the crew to disembark, put on civilian clothes and try to blend in with the locals. This will force the MK-48 to hunt you down individually, which can take weeks." -- A witty, former boomer guy
posted on 06/15/2012 3:25:04 PM PDT
(No way in Hell am I voting for Mitt Romney. Not now, not ever. Deal with it.)
- US official: Russia sends troops to Syria as peace hopes fade
- U.S. Bolsters Ties to Fighters in Syria
- How's That Reset Button Workin' For Ya, Obama? Thu, Jun 14 2012 00:00:00 E
- Turkey Fears Syrian Conflict Spilling Over Border
- Russia, US Nearing Proxy War in Syria
- Russia Is Sending Attack Helicopters to Syria, U.S. Says
- Obama Speeds Up Limited Air Strike, No-Fly Zones Preparations For Syria
- Obama speeds up limited air strike, no-fly zones preparations for Syria
- Russia Test Fires new ICBM
- UN official: Syria aims heavy weapons at UN staff
- [Russia Sends Greeting] UFO seen over Israel apparently Russian ICBM test
- Report of Syria Gas Attack and Russian ICBM Over Israel
- The Real Reason to Intervene in Syria
- Putin Opens a New European Offensive and Plays Hard-Ball with US
- French President: No Solution in Syria Unless Assad Leaves
- French President Says Syria's Assad Has To Go [While Obama Leads From Behind!]
- No Syria solution possible without Assad departure: Hollande
- Russia to EU: Stay out of Syria, back down on Gazprom
- Euro-zone Crisis Will Hit Russia Hard
- The Shabiha: Inside Assad's death squads
- Syrian Tribal Networks and their Implications for the Syrian Uprising
- Arab League requests UN action against Syria
- As Syrian Deaths Mount, No Unified Response From U.N. Security Council
- Panetta: No military action in Syria without UN OK
- Flashback: Pelosi's Visit to Syria was Dangerous, Wrong
- U.S. Frustration On Iran And Syria Puts New Cards In Russia's Hands
- Putin raises doubts on effectiveness of Syria sanctions
- Iran, Syria and China Oil Deal Flouts Western Sanctions
- Russia and China Unite Against Syrian Intervention
- Russia's Putin says to push military ties with China
- Russia and China to strengthen trade ties
- Putin to meet Iran's Ahmadinejad in China: Kremlin
- Russia's 'no' on arms sale to China aids Taiwan
- Turkey, Russia at odds over Middle East, Caucasus
- European parliament chief slams Turkey over Cyprus boycott
- Turkey's Kurdish policy, the PKK and growing tensions between Turkey and Syria
- Iraqi Kurd politician warns of 'ethnic cleansing'
- Kremlin Loyalists Push Through Bill Designed to Limit Anti-Putin Protests
- Euro 2012: Polish Minister 'disgusted' at hooliganism
- Hooligans mar Euros as Poland v Russia match sparks riots
- Gutsy Poland draw with Russia (Soccer - euro 2012)
- Euro 2012: Football fans in Warsaw clash (Russia - Poland match)
- Euro 2012: Anger as Russia fans march through Warsaw
- Russian fans declare Poland theirs, fight hosts in the streets
posted on 06/15/2012 3:43:57 PM PDT
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson