Skip to comments.GM's 'Gay' Chevrolet Volt Ad Goes Viral
Posted on 07/18/2012 2:41:18 PM PDT by rightwingintelligentsia
Last month, General Motors ran a print ad for the Chevy Volt in Between the Lines, a newspaper for gays and lesbians in the Michigan area, for a reported total cost of $750. The ad was created specifically for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community around the Detroit Gay Pride 2012 festival in June, with a rainbow icon running beneath the image and a tagline of an anthropomorphized Volt saying, "Mom, Dad, I'm electric" to a pair of Chevy models -- a Tahoe and Cruze -- looking on from the sides. The ad also included text that said, in part: "So, whatever revs your engine, we support you 100%" and "Happy Motor City Pride from the entire Chevrolet family."
A major car company engaging in niche marketing is hardly new, or newsworthy. What is newsworthy is that this ad racked up more than 11 million views on social media, according to the Detroit Free Press. Especially noteworthy is that during the scrutiny that came with the ad's sudden viral popularity, GM has seemingly survived any suggestion of "gay-washing," or the practice of cynically adding LGBT themes or characters to an advertising campaign without the companywide inclusive bona fides. Indeed, according to Between the Lines' PrideSource, GM "achieved the top rating of 100 percent in the Human Rights Campaign's 2011 Corporate Equality Index and was included on the foundation's 'Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality' list," as well as created "its own 'It Gets Better' video for the Trevor Project."
(Excerpt) Read more at editorial.autos.msn.com ...
“So, whatever revs your engine, we support you 100%”
How did that kind of thinking work out at Penn State?
They are really working overtime making sure this Volt thing fails, aren’t they?
One more reason not to by a post bail out gm.
Hey, catering to the upper 2 quintiles of 2% of the population while pissing off the upper 4 quintiles of the remaining 98% is a marketing strategy... kind of...
I have always said the Chevy Volt was gay.
The gay ad has gone “viral”? Well, that’s a fitting choice of words.
Nice of them to confirm who that POS is meant for!
“The tires go down, the horn blows, and you can get ..........”
when i was a young man, it was “mom, apple pie and chevrolet”.
owned nothing but a chevy, ya know the American pie thing.
never own a Government Motors Car again. Stick with a Ford.
Trying to capture the Subaru market share?
When the kenyan is tossed out of office, all the volts that have been purchased by the government will be sent to the crusher.....
Article published by MSN Auto?
Nice puff piece. Too bad that story only sells to a miniscule demographic.
And GM has a fix for the problem of battery fires....
In reading the rest of the article, you will also find the following quotes that tell us how superior homo’s are to the rest of us (in addition, Ford better take notice too...):
“According to a 2011 survey of 200,000 consumers by Maritz Research, gay and lesbian consumers are better-educated and make about 10 percent more money than their heterosexual counterparts, and account for about 5 percent of new-vehicle purchases. Furthermore, gay and lesbian shoppers are more likely to consider fuel-efficient and tech-laden vehicles, according to a 2011 survey of 40,000 LGBT consumers by San Francisco-based Community Marketing. “
“The Community Marketing survey also found that Toyota, Ford, Honda and Chevrolet are the most popular automotive brands among that demographic, 17 percent of whom said they planned to purchase a new vehicle within 12 months.”
Odd, I always thought that Subaru was supposed to be their ride of choice.
'Better educated'? Except in reproductive theory.
Even if every gay, lesbian and transgendered person in America traded in their current car for a Chevy Volt, GM would still lose billions of the taxpayer’s money producing them.
This will turn off the 1% of heterosexuals who did not already think the Volt was gay. I don’t care - I’m boycotting GM forever because of their massive corruption.
I wonder how that worked out for them?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.