Skip to comments.Dozens 'violently ill' after mass Denver Rescue Mission 'food poisoning'
Posted on 07/23/2012 4:42:40 AM PDT by markomalley
Dozens of people were rushed to hospital after a suspected mass food poisoning at the Denver Rescue Missiona, authorities said.
Hundreds of people had been eating the turkey dinner at the charity dinner in Colorado, which helps homeless people, at the weekend.
Authorities said more than 40 people were rushed to hospital nearly an hour later after becoming violently ill. No one has died.
An investigation has been launched with initial reports suggesting the illnesses were caused by food poisoning linked to turkey, which had been donated to the centre.
It remains unclear if the incident was a deliberate attack or if the meat was potentially undercooked.
The centre and surrounding areas were evacuated as fire crews but other environmental causes have been ruled out such as carbon monoxide poisoning.
(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk ...
Brian Ross and Steponallofus will undoubtedly link the donation of the turkey to the local tea party. On a non-compassionate conservative note, all I can think of is all these people being treated at hospitals on the tax payer dime.
It can take an hour or up to weeks for some of the various toxins to show up.
It’s not safe to watch the news. I am getting Obama poisoning. They keep showing clips of him speaking in Colorado about the killings. As if it wasn’t bad enough, another Joker shows up. I have a back operation tomorrow- who needs this?
Perhaps the turkey was halal.
Oy, I can remember the last time we had some bad food. I felt like a giant was squeezing me like a tube of toothpaste. I have great sympathy for those afflicted in this story.
Does "potentially undercooked" meat make people sick? I would think it would have to be actually undercooked, and then, like, eaten.
Who writes this tripe, anyway? Computers?
(Personally, I'd be a little dubious about turkey in July ...)
Sounds as if the turkey might have already been pretty ripe and loaded with toxins. Cooking doesn’t break them down. Therefore, nearly instant major poisoning symptoms.
Thaw. Refreeze. (Depending on thawed time and number of cycles.) Pretty much guarentees sickness.
Perhaps this is what happend to the turkeys and why they were donated for a tax credit rather than destroyed.
Undercooked poultry, and turkey in particular, is famous for its ability to turn toxic after being left to stand for awhile, which I’m sure it was in this case.
I can’t even believe they’re stupid enough to imply “intentional poisoning.” It’s just carelessness and poor food-handling techniques. The mission probably shouldn’t accept donations of cooked turkey because this is such a hazard.
Which things allow justification for more regulation and a nanny state. Even leading to this (FR thread) http://220.127.116.11/focus/f-news/2807889/posts
I got food poisoning from a Thanksgiving turkey about 6 years ago. It was brought to our family Thanksgiving dinner and I thought the turkey I had bitten into had a funny texture and saw the part I was eating was raw. I was violently ill but the symptoms didn’t kick in until the middle of the night- then lasted about 4 days.
Food banks and other places in business to feed many people need to clamp down on those perishable meats- who knows if someone left a turkey in their car while they finished their shopping then took it home to freeze it, then let it thaw out for a week in their fridge, then decided to donate it.
My most memorable food poisoning was acquired with two other coworkers at a Ramadan feast in Casablanca. Two weeks. Two exits. No waiting. I guess we should have been hospitalized but we all hung in there. Good call for them to be looking for people who might have been sickened.
Not to mention the people who work in these kitchens haven't the first clue (usually) on safe food handling, dangers of x-contamination etc.. I used to run one, and some of the things I've seen these people do...
That’s true. I also worked as a volunteer in a soup kitchen years ago, and safe food handling seemed to be an unknown concept. Just getting people to wash their hands (this was before plastic gloves) before handling the food was a major challenge.
On Thursday, we cook "Christmas dinner," starting with 110 pounds of raw turkey breasts in cooking bags.
Ours arrive frozen from the food distribution company. Takes 2-3 days to thaw in the walk in refrigerator.
No illness so far! But turkey's a scary dead bird.
A deliberate attack on Turkey would trigger a NATO response...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.