Skip to comments.10 Concepts Liberals Talk About Incessantly But Don't Understand
Posted on 07/31/2012 5:41:04 AM PDT by Kaslin
"It isnt so much that liberals are ignorant. Its just that they know so many things that arent so." -- Ronald Reagan
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. -- Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
1) Being Open Minded: To a liberal, this has nothing at all to do with seriously considering other people's ideas. To the contrary, liberals define being "open-minded" as agreeing with them. What could be more close-minded than assuming that not only are you right, but that you don't even need to consider another viewpoint because anyone who disagrees must be evil?
2) Racism: Liberals start with the presumption that only white people who don't belong to the Democratic Party can be racist. So, for example, even if Jeremiah Wright can make it clear that he hates white people because of their skin color or if liberals take an explicitly racist political position, like suggesting that black people are too stupid and incompetent to get identification to vote, they can't be racist. White Republicans, on the other hand, are generally assumed to be racist by default, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.
3) Fairness: In all fairness, I must admit that fairness is an arbitrary concept. So, you could make the argument that no one could get "fairness" wrong. Still, liberals do because they don't make any effort to actually "be fair." As a practical matter, liberals define "fairness" as taking as much as possible from people who they don't think are going to vote for them and giving it to people who may vote for them in return for their ill gotten largesse. Certainly conservatives, libertarians, and moderates might disagree about how much money to take from the wealthy to redistribute to the poor or how to help the disadvantaged, but the only liberal answer to the question, "How much is enough?" is "more."
4) Greed: To a liberal, believing that you pay too much in taxes or even opposing paying more in taxes is greedy. In actuality, wanting to loot as much money as possible that someone else has earned to use for your own purposes, which is what liberals do, is a much better example of greed.
5) Hate: Liberals often define simple disagreement with them on issues like gay marriage, tax rates, or abortion as hatred. No matter how well a position is explained, or the logical underpinnings behind it, it's chalked up to hate. Meanwhile, the angriest, most vicious, most hateful people in all of politics are liberals railing against what they say is "hatred." This irony is completely lost on the Left.
6) Investment: Actual investments involve putting money or resources into a project in hopes that they will appreciate in value. Liberals skip the second half of that equation. To them, an "investment" is taking someone else's tax dollars and putting them into a project that liberals approve of and whether a profit is made or lost is so irrelevant that they typically don't even bother to measure the results.
7) Charity: Contributing your own money or time to a good cause is charity. Liberals view themselves as charitable if they take someone else's tax dollars and give them away to people they hope will vote for them in return. At a minimum, they should at least credit the taxpayers who paid for the money they gave away for the charity, although it's not really charity if it's involuntary. Of course, there's nothing charitable about asking someone else to sacrifice for your gain, which could actually be better described as selfish.
8) Patriotism: Liberals love America the way a wife beater loves his spouse. That's why they're always beating up the country "for its own good." Doesn't the country understand that liberals have to hit it in the mouth because they LOVE IT SO MUCH?!?!? Of course, the conventional definition of patriotism, which is loving your country and wishing it well, isn't one that liberals can wrap their heads around.
9) Tolerance: In a free, open, and pluralistic society, there are all sorts of behaviors that we may have to tolerate, even though we don't approve of those activities. Liberals don't get this distinction. For one thing, they don't understand the difference between tolerance and acceptance. They also don't extend any of the tolerance they're agitating for to people who disagree with them. Liberals silence people who disagree with them at every opportunity which is, dare we say it, an extremely intolerant way to behave.
10) Diversity: What liberals mean by "diversity" is that they want a broad range of people from different races, colors, and creeds who have identical political views. A black or Hispanic conservative doesn't contribute to "diversity" in liberal eyes because he actually has diverse views. Incredible role models for women like Sarah Palin can't be feminists to liberals because she doesn't share the same liberal beliefs as sexist pigs like Anthony Weiner and Bill Maher. How can you have any meaningful "diversity" when everyone has to think the same way?
Intolerance masquerading as Tolerance - - bump
Not being one, how do you really know how a liberal thinks or defines things? Perhaps that’s just how you interpret it?
Saving the article. Thanks for posting.
a. MLK: Man should be judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin.
b. Affirmative Action: Man should be judged by the color of his skin and not the content of his character.
It has been my experience, over 4+ decades of life, that people who are nowadays calling themselves "liberals" want nothing of the sort - nothing at all to do with actual liberty and freedom. What so-called "liberals" actually want (at least as evidenced by the things they advocate) is more closely aligned with what we used to call fascism (with the liberal ideal replacing the nation-state) brought to you via totalitarianism.
The author ought to include ‘Fascist’because Liberals love casting that in your face.
If they actually knew what it meant they'd cringe.... Liberals could not be more like Nazis themselves, both in their thinking AND in their political style.... Yes, there IS such a thing as 'political style' and theirs is definately FASCIST
—Not being one, how do you really know how a liberal thinks or defines things? Perhaps thats just how you interpret it?—
I’ve been sparring with liberals on a site for seven years now. The guy nails it. I’ve consciously noticed exactly what he is talking about on every single point on the list.
That list could have been compiled by me, though I probably would not have said it as well or succinctly.
Good post. Saving.
That is a VERY SILLY question.
You have examples of their thinking all over each day's news. Just listen to Obama's rhetoric, or Elizabeth Warren's. Wake up, man!
There are several analyses out there that nail their worldview. Once you understand their worldview (based in humanism), you understand their thought patterns and how they view the various aspects of reality.
I know your role here is to just hang around to throw a shoe in the gears, but for those who honestly want some insight into why libs think the way they do, start with
A Conflict of Visions - Thomas Sowell
Vision of the Anointed - Thomas Sowell
You can still trust the communists to be communists - Swartz, Noebel
Understanding the Times - Noebel
To liberals, being "open-minded" also means that one "does not judge." To liberals, casting judgement on something or someone is avoided because the act implies a level of goodness, a standard of excellence. Liberals abhor having to live up to standards.
Liberals are always open-minded when it comes to other schools of though, ways of life, and cultures. Ironically, they are close-minded to anything western, Christian, and particularly American.
"Don't judge that long-term unemployed person, because you don't know what they've been through!"
"Don't bad-mouth that culture...they have some of the most sustainable and green lifestyles!"
Oh, I am sure they know exactly what it means, but liberals like to project on others of what they are and do.
Somebody said the world is a stage...if true, I guess we all have roles. I’ve asked the same thing of liberals when they say they know how conservatives think and define things. Oddly enough, their answers are similar in nature.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.